Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,303,481 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I figured I would ask this and see what you all thought. It seems as if shyness is looked down upon by not just women but society as a whole. But I don't get the big deal. If a man is shy, what's wrong with that? Let him be him. If you try to make him change, he will hate you for it and resent you. If everyone were outgoing, this world would be boring. I have met many men who were shy and never got a girlfriend or wife. It's sad and I don't think these guys can change. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:18 PM

102,194 posts, read 107,823,938 times
If shyness isn't a problem for the shy person, then ... there's no problem. But if they want intimacy and their shyness is getting in the way of that, then they have a problem. They need to figure out how to solve it.

There's not much more to say.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If shyness isn't a problem for the shy person, then ... there's no problem. But if they want intimacy and their shyness is getting in the way of that, then they have a problem. They need to figure out how to solve it.

There's not much more to say.
Does it really get in the way of meeting women? I don't understand. I thought women liked the docile types of men. Most likely they're the ones who will remain faithful.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,105 times
I don't think it is really looked down upon by society. I was very shy for a while, and had success in dating. I understood how I was, and moved slowly and really got myself comfortable with the girl as a friend, and then moved on from there. It might not be as effective as an extrovert in a crowd of women, but hey, to each their own!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
I don't think it is really looked down upon by society. I was very shy for a while, and had success in dating. I understood how I was, and moved slowly and really got myself comfortable with the girl as a friend, and then moved on from there. It might not be as effective as an extrovert in a crowd of women, but hey, to each their own!
Good point. How long did it take you to get over it?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM

102,194 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Does it really get in the way of meeting women? I don't understand. I thought women liked the docile types of men. Most likely they're the ones who will remain faithful.
Right. This is true. Some women approach shy men and make the first move. So a shy guy can sit around hoping a woman will notice him and make the first move. He can hedge his bets by getting involved in activities that attract a lot of female participants (cooking classes, yoga/Tai Chi/Chi Gong, sports leagues, volunteering for political action or enviro orgs, etc. etc.). But those are his options, pretty much. He has fewer options than the non-shy guys. If he's fine with having fewer options, then--no problem.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. This is true. Some women approach shy men and make the first move. So a shy guy can sit around hoping a woman will notice him and make the first move. He can hedge his bets by getting involved in activities that attract a lot of female participants (cooking classes, yoga/Tai Chi/Chi Gong, sports leagues, volunteering for political action or enviro orgs, etc. etc.). But those are his options, pretty much. He has fewer options than the non-shy guys. If he's fine with having fewer options, then--no problem.
Ouch. Glad I got over my shyness. I still have yet to get a girlfriend though, but I won't rush it.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Quote:
Why would you assume that?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why would you assume that?
Because usually they will be happy if even one woman starts to date them. Why mess it up? I could be wrong though.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:42 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Quote:
Because usually they will be happy if even one woman starts to date them. Why mess it up? I could be wrong though.
Infidelity has nothing to do with whether or not you are grateful to have found someone to date you. I think you have a very simplistic view of mature relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships