Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM

377 posts, read 621,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datxcali View Post
I used to argue this point. But I've come to agree that height is the most important physical attribute (and oftentimes the most important attribute overall). Most women will automatically reject a man that his her height or shorter, regardless of anything else about him.
Patently false. Height doesn't mean a damn thing to the vast majority of women. It's only the face that matters, while height and everything else is simply icing on the cake at best. Height itself will never be the cake for any woman.

Yes, it's true that all things being equal, it is better to be tall. But in real life, all things are never equal.

Quote:
As I said, I'm a short guy that gets girls, but I still know my limitations very acutely. It's one of the reasons that I date mostly foreign women. Height is less important in other cultures than it is in the west. So I have more options.
So you're getting with women, which is yet another blow to your hypothesis. I'm quite tall (I stand just under 6'4 in the morning), and there has never been a single woman in my entire life who has been attracted to me, and there most certainly never will be. In fact, if I could magically shrink 8 inches to 5'8 overnight I'd take it in a heart beat. My height has been much more of a disadvantage to my quality of life than an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,050,432 times
Quote:
5'6. I've learned to date girls taller than me because you really have to be okay with doing things out of the norm when you are outside of the norm yourself. In the US, there is heavy dating discrimination against short guys (more than other races except maybe Asian men).

Still though, foreign girls are where it's at for shorter guys. They have less bias against short guys, on average (of course, this is not true of ALL foreign women from ALL foreign countries).

I've heard non-short men and women say that what I've said isn't true, but the fact of the matter is that they don't really understand because they haven't experienced it.

It is what it is though. There is more to life than women and some people are just genetically unlucky.
I am 5"10 so you are right I cannot really relate to you but height wise the average is 5"8 I think. So for average joe everything should be fine.

Props to you for making it work, but if you didn't have the personality then yes you would have been screwed. Whats the point of complaining about hand you were dealt you know? That's my major bone of contention with OP.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 PM

184 posts, read 168,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Patently false. Height doesn't mean a damn thing to the vast majority of women. It's only the face that matters, while height and everything else is simply icing on the cake at best. Height itself will never be the cake for any woman.

Yes, it's true that all things being equal, it is better to be tall. But in real life, all things are never equal.

So you're getting with women, which is yet another blow to your hypothesis. I'm quite tall (I stand just under 6'4 in the morning), and there has never been a single woman in my entire life who has been attracted to me, and there most certainly never will be. In fact, if I could magically shrink 8 inches to 5'8 overnight I'd take it in a heart beat. My height has been much more of a disadvantage to my quality of life than an advantage.
We are both exceptions to the rule.

Most guys that are 6'4 can get girls SOLELY because of their height, whereas most guys that are 5'6 can't get girls for the same reason.

Again, I am getting women, but I can't say that I've done THAT well. I've done okay.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,992,794 times
Hands.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
We are both exceptions to the rule.

Most guys that are 6'4 can get girls SOLELY because of their height, whereas most guys that are 5'6 can't get girls for the same reason.

Again, I am getting women, but I can't say that I've done THAT well. I've done okay.
Reality disagrees with you. There exist no guys who get women based solely on their height. An unattractive tall man sticks out of the crowd like a sore thumb. The good looking 5'5 guy will always have a great number of women interested in him even if a few reject him over it, while there are practically no women who chase after an unattractive 6'5 man.

I will admit that being taller will increase your already existent appeal to an even larger number of women, but that does not necessarily mean an unattractive tall man will have any luck with women. The unattractive tall man is no better than the undesirable short man as far as women are concerned. There's a reason why all the self-admitted good looking short guys on here get women despite their insecurities about their height, while there are countless unattractive tall men who get absolutely nothing.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM

32,750 posts, read 48,403,474 times
OP, just for giggles, I decided to put together a short list of actor types who look physically attractive to me (actors, because you can google to see what they look like. The local guy I think looks good, you can't see what he looks like)

They are different races, different coloring, different heights, different ages, different looking.

But then, I noticed that they all have high sharp cheek bones.

So there you have it. High cheek bones are physically attractive to some women.

Actually, one of the actors, I first noticed when he was young in some minor rolls. He is very untraditional looking and not what most people would call handsome, but I think he is extremely attractive looking. Well, what do you know.... I just found out that his extensive number of female fans scream and faint like he is a Beatle. So, I am not the only one who finds high sharp cheek bones attractive.

Note, I said attractive looking. That does not mean I would date someone just because they looked like that. A man looking like that has about 15 seconds to make his case that he is worth speaking to if he cold approaches me, exactly the same as any other man. Looks aren't going to get a man very far. He needs more. A lot more.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Note, I said attractive looking. That does not mean I would date someone just because they looked like that. A man looking like that has about 15 seconds to make his case that he is worth speaking to if he cold approaches me, exactly the same as any other man. Looks aren't going to get a man very far. He needs more. A lot more.
True, but he must first meet a certain cutoff when it comes to looks. If a potential man does not meet that cutoff, nothing he says in that 15 seconds will ever make him attractive to you, will it? There's of course nothing wrong with that as people should have the right to date who they are attracted to. But, you must cede to the reality that many on here refuse to acknowledge that many unattractive men go their entire lives without any affection from women because of their looks.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:59 AM

32,750 posts, read 48,403,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
True, but he must first meet a certain cutoff when it comes to looks. .....
You are 1,000% wrong about that. I will speak to anyone, man woman, or child, as long as they have good manners and don't say anything out of line and don't act in a perverted, creepy, or crazy way.

Just this week I had a pleasant conversation at the frozen food section of the market with a short, fat, bald man who wore coke bottle glasses. He was a nice fellow, well spoken, and we talked for a couple of minutes.

He had exactly the same chance of taking me home as the Greek God handsome fellow, which is exactly zero. I never go home with strangers and even the slightest hint that a man is a predator or looking at me as an interchangeable nameless sex toy, the conversation is over, and it doesn't matter what he looks like.

You fellows who keep getting called creeps and think it is because you aren't handsome, it isn't. You are getting called creeps because you behave in a creepy way. Homely men have nice conversations with women all the time, so it is not your looks that has the women backpedaling away from you with a horrified look on her face.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are 1,000% wrong about that. I will speak to anyone, man woman, or child, as long as they have good manners and don't say anything out of line and don't act in a perverted, creepy, or crazy way.

Just this week I had a pleasant conversation at the frozen food section of the market with a short, fat, bald man who wore coke bottle glasses. He was a nice fellow, well spoken, and we talked for a couple of minutes.

He had exactly the same chance of taking me home as the Greek God handsome fellow, which is exactly zero. I never go home with strangers and even the slightest hint that a man is a predator or looking at me as an interchangeable nameless sex toy, the conversation is over, and it doesn't matter what he looks like.

You fellows who keep getting called creeps and think it is because you aren't handsome, it isn't. You are getting called creeps because you behave in a creepy way. Homely men have nice conversations with women all the time, so it is not your looks that has the women backpedaling away from you with a horrified look on her face.
That may apply to you, but women like you are in the vast minority.

Personally, the last time I ever had a non-necessary conversation with a woman outside of my family was more than a decade ago. I tend to avoid and stay as far as possible from a woman's space. Despite that, I've caught the "creep" designation multiple times from women I haven't even said a word to nor even glanced at.

We're not idiots. We can read and sense the body language of women around us when they are near us, and it isn't one that is welcoming and inviting but rather one of repulsion and absolute disdain.

It's obvious that it's our personality and attitude that's defective, since people can obviously ascertain what kind of a person you are without ever speaking with you, right?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM

19 posts, read 24,978 times
I think its based on interest/location/culture. You could be handsome, have personality, ect but you live in a huge football area and you hate football. You will never get laid.

Interest/location/culture is probably the biggest factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships