Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 06:25 PM

1,349 posts, read 665,256 times

Advertisements

I don't get why, if you have a common friend, you couldn't have met casually? a party or a group outing around a common interest or something?

But then, that's probably part of what I don't understand about the american dating concept

Maybe it's not too late for that? Couldn't your common friend set something up ? With lots of people of course, not a "trap".

And who knows? You might find out YOU don't want him Or get along, or even meet someone else at this event

Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,006,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But why are the "preferences" that can't be "forced" always physical? Always, always, always. Yet, for some strange reason, every non-physical "preference" seems to be negotiable?
So true.

People always compromise on integrity and character but never on looks. This may explain our high divorce rates...

Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,852,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
This, exactly. Especially the un-photogenic part.

I certainly hope to find a partner who also enjoys yoga, long walks, bike rides, etc.
Here's an interesting quagmire for you.

If you lost the weight, and another guy dated you, and then you found out that he wouldn't have dated you if you were XX lb heavier, would you still date him?

Because I think almost everybody would, even though you are complaining about it now.

Like men who are 5'9", if they find out their women wouldn't date guys under 5'7", they're like, "Hey, OK, I made the cutoff. Cool."

It's a tricky one. Because women can usually lose weight and the men who may be attracted to them will fluctuate with it.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
Quote:
Wow, so many responses!

I appreciate all of you who are understanding and came to my defense.

To clarify, no, I don't think anyone *owes* me a date, regardless of my size or his, or looks, or anything else. Nor am I moping or losing any sleep over this, lol. I was a little frustrated because he and I are basically at the exact same point in working on getting into good shape so I considered us "equal" in that regard.

From what I saw (this was a potential blind date situation being set up by a mutual friend), we had a great deal in common and he is very, very smart, which is important to me. We both told said friend we would be interested in meeting each other, but his interest went away after seeing some unflattering pics of me on FB. And I'm sure a bunch of you will now say/think that I must be pretty ugly! Regardless, I know I am not photogenic and I have never presented myself as good looking. And since I became single again after my divorce, I have never rejected a man because of looks.

Again, I guess I was foolish to think that by this age (I am 39, he is 45) and the other factors I mentioned, people would be willing to take a chance getting to know each other and see if there is mutual interest.
After all this - I'm kind of wondering why your friend told you that his interest went away after seeing your pictures. I would never tell my friend that.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,448,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
OP, would you give a very nice, single 450lb man a chance?
Soy, I'm going to answer your question in three parts, because I really did think about it:

1) If it was Jorge Garcia (Hurley from "LOST") then absolutely, because I think he's adorable!

2) If it was the same situation - we had a lot in common - then yes, I would give him a chance because even if there was no spark, there's nothing wrong with making new friends with shared interests.

3) 450 lbs is a bit of an exaggeration of my issue. I don't outweigh this guy by 200 lbs. In fact, I don't outweigh him at all! If I were 500 lbs and I rejected a guy at 450 lbs as too fat, then I would be a hypocrite.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM

48,575 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
This, exactly. Especially the un-photogenic part.

I certainly hope to find a partner who also enjoys yoga, long walks, bike rides, etc.

I well I hope he meets you in person while you are being your best bad self. You know, the one who won't date him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2014, 07:14 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,024,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I don't get why, if you have a common friend, you couldn't have met casually? a party or a group outing around a common interest or something?

But then, that's probably part of what I don't understand about the american dating concept

Maybe it's not too late for that? Couldn't your common friend set something up ? With lots of people of course, not a "trap".

And who knows? You might find out YOU don't want him Or get along, or even meet someone else at this event
No, it's actually a valid question. It is common to meet this way here in the U.S. My father in law and his wife (my step-mother in law?) met through a common friend and have been married for a little over 8 years now.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Throwing stones despite living in glass houses is just a way of life for some.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:22 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,852,583 times
Quote:

2) If it was the same situation - we had a lot in common - then yes, I would give him a chance because even if there was no spark, there's nothing wrong with making new friends with shared interests.
Wow.

That's an admirable attitude. I really don't think many share your attitude, nor do I think that attitude will help you at all when it comes to dating, but I admire it.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,252,090 times
Quote:
Soy, I'm going to answer your question in three parts, because I really did think about it:

1) If it was Jorge Garcia (Hurley from "LOST") then absolutely, because I think he's adorable!

3) 450 lbs is a bit of an exaggeration of my issue. I don't outweigh this guy by 200 lbs. In fact, I don't outweigh him at all! If I were 500 lbs and I rejected a guy at 450 lbs as too fat, then I would be a hypocrite.

So basically, no you wouldn't date an obese man.

What happened to the premise of "giving people a chance"? Oh wait, he has to be a tv star, or in a similar situation as you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.