Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,858,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

C'mon. Everyone knows that, by virtue of being pudgy and homely, this is a woman who is going to immediately latch on to any compliment thrown her way, and eat it up like scraps thrown. ESPECIALLY if it comes from a "good looking guy."

At least, in the OP's world.
You are the one who is personalizing the argument.

All I said is 'try not to lead guys on'.

You either agree or you disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,238,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes.

C'mon. Everyone knows that, by virtue of being pudgy and homely, this is a woman who is going to immediately latch on to any compliment thrown her way, and eat it up like scraps thrown. ESPECIALLY if it comes from a "good looking guy."

At least, in the OP's world.

Huh. I have a sister in law who is not pudgy, she is full on fat. She has some of the hormonal results of that condition. No one would call her attractive, even to be nice. She has never latched a day in her life. I know plenty of people with their various shapes, sizes and characteristics, that are date happy. So what is it that "everyone" supposedly knows.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,369,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I understand being smart, funny and cool means nothing. I understand it to death.

But you're telling me you're not even willing to make THAT compromise?

If a REALLY hot guy was one on one with a pudgy homely girl and told her "You're just the coolest. I think you're awesome." that's something he needs to be aware of, that there is a high chance she will fall for him.

You don't see that? You don't think there's any responsibility for him to maybe hold back? You really can't see it from that side, can you?
However you slice this, you're asking other people to change their otherwise socially acceptable and even socially beneficial behavior, just to suit you. I don't think you can see that.

As people have so often said, the answer to this and similar questions is to get out of your own head and into more real experiences with people, women included. And to risk being harsh, you probably fvck up those experiences because I can't imagine you being part of the experience, but rather, I can imagine you critiquing (sp?) your every word or deed and analyzing the other person's into paralysis.

Life dealt you a hand of cards. I'm sure there are better hands dealt to other people (although I'm holding a pair of 3s) but as irritating as this cliche is, you have to play the hand you're dealt as well as you can. That, or fold. Do you really expect the other players to change the ante or the rules of the game because you don't like your cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Some of you people must be living under a rock. I have met numerous men who were very flirtatious and seemingly liked me, but never asked me out. A few times, I stupidly asked them out and got a no.

Women aren't the only humans on this planet that are overly friendly, or whatever you people want to call it.

By the way, I wonder why some of you feel that you are so special? We ALL, WOMEN and MEN, have the same experiences. When the males on CD post dislikes/complaints about females, it comes across as ALL females are to blame. This comes off as only bashing or complaining, not as I need help or suggestions for a particular situation. Then, we get a lot of piling on top, everyone else contributing their complaints. This isn't football where you tackle the offender.
OK. You're right.

So, I would say the same thing to those men. Don't lead on women you are not attracted to.

If you just are going to go about your business and 'do what you do', then so be it.

Quote:
You are the one who is personalizing the argument.

All I said is 'try not to lead guys on'.

You either agree or you disagree.
Shall we also wear burkas to protect men from the inability to control their urges? Not too far fetched, coming from here.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,827,358 times
The problem with telling people not to lead others on is that the person can't possibly know what leads on a complete stranger. Each person in this world is uniquely different in their emotional capacity for something like that and the people interacting with them aren't mind readers.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
However you slice this, you're asking other people to change their otherwise socially acceptable and even socially beneficial behavior, just to suit you. I don't think you can see that.

As people have so often said, the answer to this and similar questions is to get out of your own head and into more real experiences with people, women included. And to risk being harsh, you probably fvck up those experiences because I can't imagine you being part of the experience, but rather, I can imagine you critiquing (sp?) your every word or deed and analyzing the other person's into paralysis.

Life dealt you a hand of cards. I'm sure there are better hands dealt to other people (although I'm holding a pair of 3s) but as irritating as this cliche is, you have to play the hand you're dealt as well as you can. That, or fold. Do you really expect the other players to change the ante or the rules of the game because you don't like your cards?
That's right.

I'm asking society to make a change.

Society also says women should never date short men. But that one is large to expect people to change.

I mean, it's such a small one.

You just be conscious of not leading people you are not attracted to on by being over complimenting and heaping all kinds of sugary praise on them.

I really don't think that's anything too crazy, but hey ... who knows?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That's right.

Society also says women should never date short men. But that one is large to expect people to change.
I have never had society speak to me. Ever.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM

841 posts, read 1,129,055 times
Quote:
That's right.

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. Where does society state women should never date a short man? Your attitude sucks. This makes you unattractive to women because how you feel on the inside can affect how you act and come across to others. Be positive about yourself. All the negative talk isn't doing you any good.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM

29,797 posts, read 34,605,248 times
Quote:
You just be conscious of not leading people you are not attracted to on by being over complimenting and heaping all kinds of sugary praise on them.
Who gets to decide what's overly complimentary and heaping, though? If a woman tells a colleague that he made a great point at the staff meeting this morning, and he decides that she's totally into him because of that, who's at fault there? Or if a woman tells her neighbor that he looks sharp in his suit and good luck on his interview? Jillabean said it upthread, you can't know what a stranger is going to react to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships