Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:28 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So does this make the Craigslist Personals section the Dollar Store of OLD?
No, it makes it equivalent to going to the dump and picking through the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 AM

527 posts, read 600,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Let's accept the fact that "love" is a joke and the relationship world is purely economic
Let's not and say we did.

Sure, anything, including relationships, can be viewed through an economic framework, and our recent Western notion of romantic love contains many myths and unrealistic expectations; but I wouldn't go as far to say that love doesn't exist or is a joke.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
I know it sounds shallow to think in terms of market values and upgrades and the like, but that's really the way that things work. People are not drawn to each other because of love, but for a variety of social and psychological reasons. It's plain to see that the relationship world is just a sexual economy. Look around.
Since you have seen the light and realized this is true, stop wasting your time on a forum and complaining about it.

Go to med school, become a doctor, make tons of money and you'll have women flocking at you.

All of life's answers are simple, aren't they?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I can't imagine why the OP has such a difficult time attracting women.
the sad thing is he very likely doesn't. I bet ya 20 bucks he won't even try enough to know for sure either way.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Since you have seen the light and realized this is true, stop wasting your time on a forum and complaining about it.

Go to med school, become a doctor, make tons of money and you'll have women flocking at you.

All of life's answers are simple, aren't they?
He probably would have if he knew how life really was when was a kid.

It's probably too late now. It's not easy to just 'go to med school'.

I think people tend to go for compatibility within their own market value group. But the OP is largely true.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
It's true that much of the process of dating, hooking up, marrying, etc., can be looked at through an economic lens. That doesn't preclude the idea of love being a part of the process, especially a bit later on once you've had time to form that kind of connection.

HarryMB, you're choosing to think of this stuff in cold, clinical terms because it hurts to invest your emotions. But think of the opportunity cost of your position. While you're putting your energy into justifying why your romantic life isn't what you'd like, you could instead be enjoying your life, romance or not. It's all about rational decision making.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I sometimes wonder is if single men in their 40's who want to fall in love exist.
i mean i'm not 40 yet, i'm 30

but "falling in love", romance, etc., seem to be a one way street: feelings that a man tries to facilitate in a woman.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
While relationships and dating are hardly 'purely' economic, there is certainly a component of economics there.

When people choose a partner they are making an economic exchange of sorts, and choice of partner is a crucial and perplexing life decision, up there with questions like "how much do I need to have/save before I can afford to retire".

When a person settles for a less-than-optimal partner, they are deciding that the partner they have chosen is the best they can reasonably expect to attract.
True for some, in a nutshell, anyway, and there is just so much to this. ( I may have to write a book on this subject)

People tend to be fluid. Really, settling depends on the person. It is about what you value most...

Old 03-24-2014, 01:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
What ho!

Another scared, wierd little guy sharing his skewed view of the world.

Can't get laid? Blame the economy.
Haven't you seen Eddie Murphy Raw?

Can't have romance without finance.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I sometimes wonder is if single men in their 40's who want to fall in love exist.

Oh come on

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
but "falling in love", romance, etc., seem to be a one way street: feelings that a man tries to facilitate in a woman.
And a "oh come on" to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships