Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,974,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
Let's not and say we did.

Sure, anything, including relationships, can be viewed through an economic framework, and our recent Western notion of romantic love contains many myths and unrealistic expectations; but I wouldn't go as far to say that love doesn't exist or is a joke.
Why would you change the quote to me saying that? lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM

13,680 posts, read 9,762,428 times
Economics is nothing more and nothing less than the study of how people exchange things, how they work together as individuals, and in the aggregate how this works in society. Presumably human interactions are based on self-interest… maybe not entirely (altruism does exist), but often enough. Is it far-fetched to suppose that humans seek to mate with the "best" possible partner, and that conscious and subconscious factors are involved in sizing up potential mates, as a farmer sizes up cattle? It might be crass and psychologically deflating to simplify the mysteries of love to brute cost-benefit calculations. It sounds profane and sickening. But is it patently incorrect?

As for the friendly suggestions that the OP use his newfound knowledge to succeed in the game of dating-and-mating, do please note the distinction between philosophical coverage of some subject, and practical acumen. Consider for example stock-market investment. Professional economists are no better at picking stocks than plumbers or janitors. Or chimpanzees. This doesn't mean that their theories are wrong or incapable of explaining anything. They just don’t have a practical application. Whether the OP has perfectly nailed the explanation of how dating works, or whether his explanation fails miserably, has no bearing on what happens in his own personal life.

What's so grating about the OP's post is the implication that humans are just brute animals, beasts on the prowl, dressed up in fancy accouterments signifying nothing. I don’t believe that. I believe that humans are worse than beasts. Beasts are more forthright and less judgmental.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,778,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What's so grating about the OP's post is the implication that humans are just brute animals, beasts on the prowl, dressed up in fancy accouterments signifying nothing. I don’t believe that. I believe that humans are worse than beasts. Beasts are more forthright and less judgmental.
lol

Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,778,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Oh brother.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 AM

684 posts, read 826,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Oh brother.
The sad part is that that person probably believes what they're saying.

To someone with low self esteem, all compliments are false or backhanded. To someone who is corrupt, all things are corrupt. To someone who is a cheater, all people cheat.

Comments like this thread say far more about the poster themselves than any real comment on humanity or its motivations.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 AM

943 posts, read 1,200,452 times
Argument is flawed.

Otherwise the girl I have a crush on (poor, downtrodden, alcoholic and in a mess) would easily establish a relationship with me based on my sudden wealth.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,489,619 times
You can apply economic models to explain some aspects of romantic interactions; however, you cannot reduce romantic interactions to economic interactions. Actually, you cannot even explain all economic interactions with simple economic models. No map can account for any whole territory.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Sellers View Post
Notice it's the women that react so negatively to this assertion. Women (generally speaking) are very heavily invested in the idea that love/dating/relationships are magic, fairy dust, unicorn tails and fated to happen.

Of course, that notion is ridiculous.

The OP's point is wrong because it doesn't go far enough. He stopped short by limiting it to "love" and dating relationships when really ALL human interaction is governed by economic principles and are transactional in nature.
Harry, is that you?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,340,106 times
"Let's accept the fact that "love" is a joke and the relationship world is purely economic."

Let's not, and say we didn't!

Instead, let's accept the fact (s) that we presently live in a world full of overly paranoid/suspecting, and overly cynical, human beings!

Shall we?!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,760,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Harry, is that you?
It's Ray_Finkle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships