Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,458,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
My wife has a friend who sets up coffee dates for the first meeting and asks the guy to wear a distinctive piece of clothing. She then arrives late; looks the guy over and, if he doesn't strike her fancy, she just leaves!

How rude.

My last date was a set up. When I arrived at the coffee shop, he didn't even stand to greet me or offer to get a drink for me. Since he'd arrived before me, he'd already ordered and was drinking his. Which leads me to wonder, what exactly is the etiquette for that?

I have one I've been chatting with thru OKC that wants to meet for coffee, which would require a 3 hr drive round trip to meet halfway. That seems a bit much for just a "meet and greet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,645,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74
My last date was a set up. When I arrived at the coffee shop, he didn't even stand to greet me or offer to get a drink for me. Since he'd arrived before me, he'd already ordered and was drinking his. Which leads me to wonder, what exactly is the etiquette for that?
I always get there first and buy my own drink.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:13 AM

51,036 posts, read 36,749,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
How rude.

I have one I've been chatting with thru OKC that wants to meet for coffee, which would require a 3 hr drive round trip to meet halfway. That seems a bit much for just a "meet and greet."
I would never drive 3 hours for a coffee meet! Honestly I wouldn't meet someone who lives that far away, what is the point? I have in the past had dates with far away people, the furthest was Vermont, I'm in NJ, and we met in NYC for the say.

Your first guy was rude, IMO.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
My wife has a friend who sets up coffee dates for the first meeting and asks the guy to wear a distinctive piece of clothing. She then arrives late; looks the guy over and, if he doesn't strike her fancy, she just leaves!
For all those mentioning blind dates, I didn't assume that the above was a blind date situation. I just thought she had seen pictures but didn't like the way they looked in person.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:31 AM

29,773 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:

I'm not sure. If it's a setup/blind date I wouldn't expect the guy to buy me a drink, but if I got there first I'd wait for him to arrive before ordering.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,458,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
For all those mentioning blind dates, I didn't assume that the above was a blind date situation. I just thought she had seen pictures but didn't like the way they looked in person.
Now that you mention it, this makes sense too. I'm finding that a lot of men on OKC have something from 2010 as their most recent picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm not sure. I wouldn't expect the guy to buy me a drink, but if I got there first I'd wait for him to arrive before ordering.
That was my line of thinking. I'd offer to buy my own, but I wouldn't sit there already drinking it waiting for him to arrive. When meeting friends, I wait for them or if they're running late ask if I can order something for them. It just seems like common courtesy to me to wait for the other person to arrive before ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would never drive 3 hours for a coffee meet! Honestly I wouldn't meet someone who lives that far away, what is the point?
The more he and I chat, the more I wonder if I'm interested in a LDR. There have been some things that have come up that I'm calling yellow flags but part of it could be cold feet on my part. It's just a bit unnerving that someone I haven't met yet is already asking questions that pertain to situations MUCH further down the road. But I've been out of the dating pool for a long time so perhaps that's normal.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
I suppose if I do this OLD thing again I should get a new photo to include. How does this happen for people? Posed photos are just icky... and I can't recall being in a situation in quite some time where I knew my photo was taken. I suppose it may have happened at an event but I never saw it.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:45 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,482,948 times
The best first date of my whole life started at a coffee shop.

But we liked each other so much, it progressed to a walk around the capitol building in the moonlight, and ended with shooting pool at a pool hall.

And only one of us liked coffee.

To the op, I see nothing wrong with drinks or coffee - does not mean you have to actually drink coffee. There are other beverages. It's just a laid-back, no pressure environment. And you can leave without having to deal with an entire meal - hell, you can have coffee slurped up in minutes!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
That was my line of thinking. I'd offer to buy my own, but I wouldn't sit there already drinking it waiting for him to arrive. When meeting friends, I wait for them or if they're running late ask if I can order something for them. It just seems like common courtesy to me to wait for the other person to arrive before ordering.
I don't want him to think that I expect him to pay for my drink, so it makes sense to me to get my drink when I get there. At most, I've just taken a few sips before he arrives. If he thinks it's rude, too bad! It's just coffee- it's not that serious.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times
For everybody who states "I love coffee" Or "I hate coffee" .... it's not about the coffee and coffee shops sell other beverages as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships