Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there someone in your past that would make you leave your current SO?
No. You are a devoted spouse or SO, and there is no one that you would leave for. 41 83.67%
Yes. I never got over this person, and if they came back into my life, I would drop everything to be with them. 8 16.33%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM

34 posts, read 23,695 times

Advertisements

I've never really cared for anyone so this doesn't apply for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, here's the thing about lovers.

Lovers don't ask you to take out the garbage.
Lovers aren't needing your help with the kids.
Lovers aren't asking you to pay the cable bill.
Lovers aren't forcing you to go to their parent's house on Sunday.
Lovers don't tell you to pick up your socks.
Lovers don't drape their underwear on the rail of the shower curtain.
Lovers don't nag you, for the fourth time today, to mow the grass already.
Lovers don't roll over and turn out the light because they're not in the mood.

Lovers don't do any of those things. No, they are always ready to go and always into you. They are less a living, breathing person than an embodiment of what love should be, an idealized image where nothing goes wrong, no one disagrees, and it's just rainbows, butterflies, and unicorns at all times.

So when your acquaintance encountered trouble in his life, he looked at this other person and saw nothing but beauty and life, with him at the center of it all. He really needs to be disabused of this fantasy and understand that the world will continue spinning on its axis and that his troubles will multiply, not divide, if he goes through with this.
He's not my "acquaintance", he's family. But I agree. He is taking the easy road to a new trouble-free life, and leaving his devastated family to deal with the aftermath. It's not going to be pretty when I see him.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just as long as you realize nothing you could say to him would make much of a dent right now.

Later he'll be in a world of hurt when he realizes how he's nuked his life
I know that. I'm not going there for him. I am going because SHE just had surgery and is home for two weeks, unable to do much of anything. And THIS Is the time he has chosen to tell the kids, and leave. He is a ***** in my book.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
People I dated more than 20 years ago? No...lol
The ONLY time I ever think of them is when one of these types of threads pops up.

I have no idea where they are now and I can't say I'm even curious about what they are doing in their lives currently. If one of them contacted me I'd have a good laugh, because 20+yrs later, I'm sure I'm not even a blip on their radar either.

I didn't even like them that much back then...there was no "love" until I met my husband.
Well, he always said that his wife was the love of his life. So apparently you can't count on anything not changing.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,892,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I know that. I'm not going there for him. I am going because SHE just had surgery and is home for two weeks, unable to do much of anything. And THIS Is the time he has chosen to tell the kids, and leave. He is a ***** in my book.
Like I said, he has nuked his own life but just doesn't realize it yet - pity him.

She is very lucky to have you and I know appreciates you showing up right now.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,263,768 times
No, exes are pretty much douchebags and I'd rather choke than even see them.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 AM

323 posts, read 309,085 times
There is no spouse or SO, nor WILL there be, so my answer must be no, by default.

Ex's are ex's for a reason. Last girlfriend? Decided she couldn't live without being close enough to her family to be able to drive there in an afternoon. Ex wife? Yah, maybe we won't get into that today. FB between the wife and gf? She was there to scratch an itch. Even my friend's sister, who I would have wifed up if she hadn't been such a party girl back in the day, I wouldn't want anything to do with now.

If someone isn't a part of my life, there is a reason for it. This applies to people other than ex's, too.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM

19,772 posts, read 20,360,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well, he always said that his wife was the love of his life. So apparently you can't count on anything not changing.
This is why I don't really play into that "love the one you're with" bs.. It's one of the saddest songs I've heard disguised under an upbeat tempo to create an illusion of happiness....lol, I digress.... // As for your family, not much you can do but show your love & support. These things happen...The only thing constant in life IS change.. Roll with it and stay positive +

Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 AM

943 posts, read 1,006,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I just got my first girlfriend last week. Basically she's the only female in my social group. I would never cheat on her or leave her.
ALL RIGHT! You did it! Good on yer!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,267,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesperman View Post
I've never really cared for anyone so this doesn't apply for me.
Yeah, but you're 17. It's not as if you know anything yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships