Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,372,093 times

Advertisements

Davros, this isn't complicated. Harassment is ongoing, unwanted attention. That's a pretty good legal and also everyday definition. "Ongoing" meaning that even polite attention or interest that is repeated could be considered harassment. Take no for an answer. Take nonverbal no's, like someone averting her glance quickly when you look at her, not smiling in response to a smile from you, or more overt non verbals like turning away from you, as being as meaningful as a verbal "no". If you're trying to show interest and you're getting those responses, she's not reciprocating your interest.

Obviously, rude, profane, obnoxious behavior is wrong the first time. Someone has said that "good looking guys can blah-blah-blah". Someone will repeat that sentiment. Ignore that. I'm pretty close to certain that the kind of woman you might want to meet would not respond well to that act. And besides, being a dick sometimes "works" in a lot of contexts, but that's no excuse for being a dick. Ends, means, and all that.

Finally, you sound confused or conflicted about what you call "staring". I don't buy your confusion and I see no real conflict. I'm going to join the chorus suggesting you can and should stop staring. Your responses to suggestions that you just stop staring aren't very convincing. Staring is an entirely volitional act. You choose to do it. Make a better choice.

Amended: I'm assuming that you don't have Parkinson's, MS, or some other neurological disorder where staring is a genuine symptom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,957,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Well, I don't think I've been unfairly judgmental.

Look, your POV seems to rest on 2 basic assumptions, both of which I find highly suspect:

1) That the line between attention and harassment is incredibly subtle and subjective.

2) That women are strongly inclined to overreact and accuse men of harassment when nothing of the sort occurred.

I've worked in law offices that dealt with sexual harassment accusations. I know from my professional experience that harassment is usually anything but subtle or subjective, and that most women are incredibly reluctant to accuse anyone of sexual harassment. They know full well most people--especially their male co-workers--will usually role their eyes and accuse them of overeating. I've seen it countless times.
I stand by my statement that #1 can be true.

I've never claimed #2.

I would never do the kind of sexual harassment that would get me accused of it. Only the kind that might make some women uncomfortable. I don't want to do that anymore, so this thread was supposed to be about finding out exactly what is harassment. Instead it became all about me somehow.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Staring at magazines isn't a sexuality. Sorry. More excuses.
I'm staring at pictures of women in magazines. That is sexuality.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,178,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I stand by my statement that #1 can be true.

If you really believe this, the solution for you is very simple. Err very much on the non creepy / non harassing side of the behavior spectrum. Play it very very conservative.

There will be no problems.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,737,868 times
Aren't you tired of just fantasizing? Don't you want to experience these things you fantasize about for real? Does this not compell you to do something more?

I wish I could understand why people enjoy fantasizing so much.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you really believe this, the solution for you is very simple. Err very much on the non creepy / non harassing side of the behavior spectrum. Play it very very conservative.

There will be no problems.
That means get rid of my sexuality. Explain how it doesn't mean that.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Aren't you tired of just fantasizing? Don't you want to experience these things you fantasize about for real? Does this not compell you to do something more?

I wish I could understand why people enjoy fantasizing so much.
I enjoy it because I believe it's all I can have.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM

29,804 posts, read 34,628,000 times
Quote:
Your sexuality is based on making women feel uncomfortable? That's what we're talking about here.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,178,375 times
Quote:

Because staring at women and being creepy isn't freaking sexuality.

No matter how many times you claim it is.

My interacting with people at work, or out and about, male or female, isn't my sexuality. It is being a person that is a part of society.

But hey, if your sexuality is that screwed up, then maybe you should suppress it.

Quote:
I enjoy it because I believe it's all I can have.

Yawn, more excuses.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Your sexuality is based on making women feel uncomfortable? That's what we're talking about here.
No it isn't. My sexuality is based on looking at and visualizing women. If I do that using media, it gets me in bad habits for the real world.

I very much don't want to make women uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships