Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,822,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Is it weird that both "doesn't exercise at all" and "overly obsessed with fitness and exercise" are red flags to me?
I don't think it's weird... I think it means you see one or the other as an unhealthy extreme. Seems reasonable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 AM

181 posts, read 192,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Absolutely not.

These aren't subtle, really...
1) Wanting to pick a fight about everything (nitpicking, nagging)
2) Constantly complains about service (there are times and a way to go about it, but I'm talking the high maintenance types, complaining about drinks, sending food back, etc.)
3) Uptight in the bedroom (If they're this type we generally don't make it there as I can feel the vibe before then, generally... but I've been fooled)
4) Needs constant contact/communication
5) Judgmental about things I don't care about (your glassware doesn't match, one of the tiles in your BR is chipped, you should have that fixed)

This one might be the most subtle as it takes time to see:

6) Can't do anything or won't do anything alone (friends or me, the types that won't go to see a band, movie, check out anything unless there is someone going with them)

Most of these things, except maybe 5 and 6 I can pick up after a couple of dates, so its easy to bail. Some arise later after a few months, or, perhaps it just gets to me after a few months in some cases.
I wanted to comment on this one, as a woman I have noticed that some men can bring the worst out of a woman and all of these things mentioned above can get magnified. I am not saying this man is a bad person, it's just some relationships are wrong and while women are trying to figure out the relationship all of these "signs" are a dead give away that the relationship is not going the right direction. The same woman in a better relationship might not demonstrate any of the issues above.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,050,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip999 View Post
I wanted to comment on this one, as a woman I have noticed that some men can bring the worst out of a woman and all of these things mentioned above can get magnified. I am not saying this man is a bad person, it's just some relationships are wrong and while women are trying to figure out the relationship all of these "signs" are a dead give away that the relationship is not going the right direction. The same woman in a better relationship might not demonstrate any of the issues above.
That's why chemistry is so important. You want to be with someone who brings out your best qualities, not your worst. You often cannot define or quantify chemistry, but you know it when you experience it.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,478,954 times
I wont date a person that mentions they are a very religious person or tries to convert me to become religious

Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,249,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Well, the fact I have more guy friends is because I love sports, hate shopping, etc, etc. I just can't relate to girls.
Hopefully sports in moderation?

Huge sports freaks are a big turnoff to me. This used to really only be an issue women had with men, but now its going the other way. An example of this would be a girl I casually dated in the past. During the months of August - January, she would not go out at all on the weekends. Friday nights, and all day Saturday and Sunday were spent glued to the tube for local high school, college, and NFL football. She wouldn't go anywhere or do anything during NBA finals or Stanley Cup finals. Had to have ESPN or FSN on TV even when there were no games going on. It got really old after a while & I had to break that off.

My other big thing is that I really value my personal freedom & independence. If I see any type of controlling behavior coming from them, I drop them like a bad habit.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 PM

675 posts, read 545,911 times
These are mine.

- High maintenance
- Vane
- Jealous
- Controlling
- Insecure
- Immature
- Shallow
- Materialistic
- Too much makeup

Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,644,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Hopefully sports in moderation?

Huge sports freaks are a big turnoff to me. This used to really only be an issue women had with men, but now its going the other way. An example of this would be a girl I casually dated in the past. During the months of August - January, she would not go out at all on the weekends. Friday nights, and all day Saturday and Sunday were spent glued to the tube for local high school, college, and NFL football. She wouldn't go anywhere or do anything during NBA finals or Stanley Cup finals. Had to have ESPN or FSN on TV even when there were no games going on. It got really old after a while & I had to break that off.

My other big thing is that I really value my personal freedom & independence. If I see any type of controlling behavior coming from them, I drop them like a bad habit.
I'm an NFL girl all the way. MLB to an extent. I love the Green Bay Packers, so most of the time it revolves around the Packers. Usually, I just dedicate Sunday to football. Baseball I prefer live games and it's whenever I go to Detroit, Milwaukee or Baltimore. Though, I'm hoping to see more of the Tigers when I move to the Detroit metro area.

What I'm trying to say is I don't dedicate my whole life to NFL or baseball. There are certain teams I follow and since I don't live in the area those teams play, I usually catch highlights anyway... so I don't bring things with me. I also love traveling and I am a travel writer... so I spent a lot of time doing that. I try to balance.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:13 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,788,266 times
High-maintenance is the absolute worst... if someone does nothing but suck your creativity, energy, money, time and general will to live in exchange for some lousy sex or a pleasant appearance with some banal conversation thrown in, it's better to be alone.

Also:

-conservative, religious, libertarian.
-hateful towards animals, children, etc.
-zero creativity or originality
-is frigid, weird, boring or too particular about sex
-has issues with men
-is easily disgusted or anal about everything
-drinks too much, smokes too much
-too materialistic, forces me to spend money on things we don't need
-is too tight with money and won't spend the extra money to do something rare or exciting or interesting.
-expects me to do everything and take care of her as if she were a child
-is afraid of having new experiences, or goes traveling just to meet other foreigners, get drunk and party as opposed to taking an active interest in the culture, surroundings, experiences to be had.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,627,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is the spear counterpart to the other thread.

Guys what is it about a woman that tells you not to pursue any further?

Or

Are you the type of guy who doesn't care about her behavior or attitude as long as she's hot?
Behavior and attitude is the first priority, and a pretty smile helps a lot too!! That all comes before being hot.

But personal hygeine has to be there too, a woman with dirty fingernails or toes is a big turn off, and she doesn't have to be hot to make sure they are kept up.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,238,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I wont date a person that mentions they are a very religious person or tries to convert me to become religious
You only feel this way because you haven't met Jesus. Allow me to introduce you…

Hee hee! Couldn't help myself!

For the record - I feel the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships