Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:20 PM

39 posts, read 37,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And there were no signs of this attitude before you got married, when you were having a great time and making each other happy?

I saw flashes of it, then we would break up. Things would start going well, then I saw flashes, we broke up again. To answer your question though, yeah I did see signs, but not like 30 foot red flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:22 PM

39 posts, read 37,454 times
I don't know why everything she does, when she does do things for me, needs to end with me praising her.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:24 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexan88 View Post
I don't know why everything she does, when she does do things for me, needs to end with me praising her.
Because thanking someone and showing appreciation for the things they do for you is what people do with their spouses. You don't like her attitude. Maybe she finds yours to be ungrateful, herself.

Is there a bridge around here?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,745 times
Quote:
Well, you answered your own problem. I knew that maybe why she is short with you. She just wants to know that you appreciate her.

Solution to your problem if you want her to stop nagging you - praise her, compliment her, thank her. She just wants a show of gratefulness from you.

Actually I am living like your wife right now. I am not the type who nags my husband though. I cook because I want to. My husband is not the type to praise my cooking himself I have to ask him everytime if he likes it. Except last night, he praised my cooking before I ask him. LOL.

Well in my case I will be working soon. My husband wants me too. I would prefer not to, LOL. But in the end, I know it will be better for both of us if we both work.

If I were you I would have a talk with her, maybe her staying home is not right for her. Because I'm sure she feels like she's your maid, cook and housekeeper. Tell her she can go looking for work so she won't be too mad at you everytime.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Because thanking someone and showing appreciation for the things they do for you is what people do with their spouses. You don't like her attitude. Maybe she finds yours to be ungrateful, herself.
There was a somewhat controversial article in the NYT a few years ago about "training your husband," but what it boils down to is like with your dog, with people you should praise the behavior that you like and ignore the behavior that you don't. If the OP's wife gets snarky about cleaning the house, he just needs to say, "It looks great, honey. Thank you for taking the time to take care of that for us." and walk away, not start a fight.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There was a somewhat controversial article in the NYT a few years ago about "training your husband," but what it boils down to is like with your dog, with people you should praise the behavior that you like and ignore the behavior that you don't. If the OP's wife gets snarky about cleaning the house, he just needs to say, "It looks great, honey. Thank you for taking the time to take care of that for us." and walk away, not start a fight.
I am inclined to doubt the truthiness of this thread.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,578 times
Is she hot at least? Even if she is. She is taking advantage of you

Old 07-11-2014, 03:04 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Irritated? Nah, resentful.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Quote:
Becuase she feels under appreciated perhaps.

Whatever the cause of that is, it's what you should be addressing with her.
All that is happening right now is the both of you are building up resentment towards one another and snapping with snide comments back and forth to cut the other off.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
Well, you answered your own problem. I knew that maybe why she is short with you. She just wants to know that you appreciate her.

Solution to your problem if you want her to stop nagging you - praise her, compliment her, thank her. She just wants a show of gratefulness from you.

Actually I am living like your wife right now. I am not the type who nags my husband though. I cook because I want to. My husband is not the type to praise my cooking himself I have to ask him everytime if he likes it. Except last night, he praised my cooking before I ask him. LOL.

Well in my case I will be working soon. My husband wants me too. I would prefer not to, LOL. But in the end, I know it will be better for both of us if we both work.

If I were you I would have a talk with her, maybe her staying home is not right for her. Because I'm sure she feels like she's your maid, cook and housekeeper. Tell her she can go looking for work so she won't be too mad at you everytime.
Don't they split house chores? I haven't read through the whole thread but earlier on, he stated that he works, she doesn't and he splits the chores with her.

I don't agree with some of above (although it is good advice) only because when you thank and praise someone repeatedly, it loses its meaning. Not only that, but she'll want more and more and more and more. Until he's just constantly thanking and validating her. You can't do something because someone else expects it. You have to mean it. And if he were to thank her, I bet it would sound really sarcastic. On the flip side, where is her thankfulness? I hate not knowing both sides of the story, but I'm going based off what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships