Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:01 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,089 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering how many people in their lifetime meet their True Love and spend the rest of their life with that person. I know that Real Love has a power of its own. Can't try to manufacture it, it's just there, real love is powerful.

I believe love has to find the person, someone can't find it, they can be open to love but it has/will come to them.

I've heard that many times your first love is your true love.

I know of some really beautiful relationships that are each others first love, I don't think this is that common. I also know couples that were each others first love and for diff. reasons married diff. people then divored - never stopped thinking of their first love - then reunited later in life.

(I'm using "True Love" instead of "soulmate" since it's so overused)

Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Nope I haven't met them, if I have one.

I really can't say true love does or doesn't exist. If it does, I believe it is extremely rare. Only a lucky few people get to experience such a thing as well. I don't know anyone who is still with their first love, but I have heard of some couples that have been married for 30 plus years and are still together.

I don't really believe in soul mates either. I used to. There really is no telling about the future. You could meet them today, tomorrow, or never. I haven't had my first my relationship yet, so I try not to really think about it. If I do date it won't be until I am in my late 20s more than likely, or if I do meet my "true love" I'll be middle aged probably or older. Based on the kind of person that I am now, I don't really feel like I will experience it. If I can just get to a point where I don't care anymore, I think I will be fine.

Last edited by Auraliea; 07-14-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post

Oh God, no!

I was a totally different person back then... and being married to that kid from our neighborhood is inconceivable.
No one I know who married their high school love stayed married for long.

I have known my husband since 1974, and we will celebrate our 34th anniversary later this year.
HE is my true love.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
I'm single, so obviously I haven't met her yet, and I doubt I ever will since I don't believe in the soul mate-true lovey dovey stuff.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:17 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
I am fairly certain my true love was run over by a bus years ago....

Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
I think I'm going to meet my true love when I'm 50.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Closest to love I had is the 30 guys I was infatuated with over the years--from now, back to when I was 8 lol Not all at once. The crushes were 1 at a time.

My current "love" I have been crazy about for 2 years now lol As far as romantic feelings go. Any other love as been family and pets.

I agree with Pitt Chick though. Love exists sure. But sometimes 1st isn't true. It's just more sentimental because it was 1st, thus it was the first person you gave your heart to in that way, first time you felt those feelings, and got to express them with another, maybe even first person you had sex with. And sometimes when a break up happens, it just hearts alot, once again, because it was 1st so the pain is a new one.

So a first love may be sentimental, but doesn't have to mean it was true, or spell-binding.

Some HS sweethearts marry and make it work. But it's rare. Many will be broken up after a bit, or they get married, have a good run, only to divorce some time later. But they don't make it until the "death do you part." That's a rarity. It probably happens alot, but for all the ones that make it, you'll have 2 couples that don't.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I'm just wondering how many people in their lifetime meet their True Love and spend the rest of their life with that person. I know that Real Love has a power of its own. Can't try to manufacture it, it's just there, real love is powerful.

I believe love has to find the person, someone can't find it, they can be open to love but it has/will come to them.

I know of some really beautiful relationships that are each others first love, I don't think this is that common. I also know couples that were each others first love and for diff. reasons married diff. people then divored - never stopped thinking of their first love - then reunited later in life.

(I'm using "True Love" instead of "soulmate" since it's so overused)
I've heard from some elderly singles: "If you didn't marry your first true love, then you can count on not ever marrying because no one will ever quite measure."

I say, B.S.!!

I think some people hold onto early romantic relationships as their ideal for future romance. They build up this fantasy by creating a false self-fulfilling prophecy. How do they know it was true love, when it ended? Obviously, something wasn't mutual or something was not in the works. But, they attach to the idea so much they create barriers for new experiences with anyone.

I also agree that love finds you. Because love is not given and is not asked for.

When we meet someone we click with and care for, something inside of us wants to care for them, unconditionally. When the feeling is mutual, that's true love.

But, people are often deluded by what true love really means, because they hold onto so many concepts that contradict what true love really is. And, some people (if not most), don't know what true love is, because they didn't quite experience it within their own family. Some families, if you observe carefully, are so judgmental, so critical, so cold, so unloving, and these patterns are what people define how relationships based on love truly is. It's a distorted misconception so we have people defining power as love when love is based on freedom and joy, something we wish for another human being, wholeheartedly and emphatically.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I've heard from some elderly singles: "If you didn't marry your first true love, then you can count on not ever marrying because no one will ever quite measure."

I say, B.S.!!

I think some people hold onto early romantic relationships as their ideal for future romance. They build up this fantasy by creating a false self-fulfilling prophecy. How do they know it was true love, when it ended? Obviously, something wasn't mutual or something was not in the works. But, they attach to the idea so much they create barriers for new experiences with anyone.

I also agree that love finds you. Because love is not given and is not asked for.

When we meet someone we click with and care for, something inside of us wants to care for them, unconditionally. When the feeling is mutual, that's true love.

But, people are often deluded by what true love really means, because they hold onto so many concepts that contradict what true love really is. And, some people (if not most), don't know what true love is, because they didn't quite experience it within their own family. Some families, if you observe carefully, are so judgmental, so critical, so cold, so unloving, and these patterns are what people define how relationships based on love truly is, but it's a distorted misconception so we have people defining power as love when love is based on freedom and joy, something we wish for another human being, wholeheartedly.
I agree. I would like to add love is about bad stuff too. Not causing it. But getting through it. Our partners will drive us crazy, have flaws, may even develop some bad flaws, or habits. But you plow through. There's love there, and you're both willing to work together, and help when problems arouse. Seeing each other at your lowest, but not losing respect or love for them despite their worst moments. Some people think love isn't work. Then they wanna get out of the relationship because it's too hard, or too much trouble rather than trying very hard to make it through. There will be days when you drive each other crazy.

So some people give up too fast, or some that confuse lust and infatuation for love-which neither of them are. I have felt infatuation. It is not lasting lol it can turn into love, if you really connect and get closer, or it will wear off, and you won't be interested in the person, be it you got tired of them, or you want/or have found someone hotter. lol

Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Married 29 years and still madly in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships