Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 PM

120 posts, read 118,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
I had women friends in college and the same with my female coworkers. As I said before I am a photographer and I belong to a photo arts group at a local art association. I know the women there but most are older than me. The one that's my age is married and has kids. We get along well. We were both part of a gallery tour/ shoot in NYC led by a RISD professor.
In 25 years, that's all you've done to get out there and try to meet women? Participate in a photo arts group, and go on shoots? I can tell you why "it hasn't happened yet" and you haven't met anyone. It's not because women don't find you attractive. It's because you're not looking for opportunities to meet women. You're not doing much to put yourself in environments where you can get to know women. It takes more than going to work, and joining one group or association, or whatever. It sounds like maybe you just haven't been motivated enough to try. Maybe it's just never been a priority for you.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,638,546 times
I think the older a man gets the more things change for him, of course the looks go downhill and if he doesn't work hard to stay in good shape and health then forget about it.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:36 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,207,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn--X View Post
In 25 years, that's all you've done to get out there and try to meet women? Participate in a photo arts group, and go on shoots? I can tell you why "it hasn't happened yet" and you haven't met anyone. It's not because women don't find you attractive. It's because you're not looking for opportunities to meet women. You're not doing much to put yourself in environments where you can get to know women. It takes more than going to work, and joining one group or association, or whatever. It sounds like maybe you just haven't been motivated enough to try. Maybe it's just never been a priority for you.
So what would you have me do? I do things that I enjoy such as photography and running races. For years I thought it was impossible so you're right there was no motivation.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,855,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Great observation! Doing a cold approach is pretty awful. I can't even imagine doing that.

It's much better (as you said) to do activities with people. Getting to know women as friends is a far comfortable way to get to know women.
Neither is really good. Cold approaches are good for good looking guys, but then again, so is friends first.

Friends, to me, means you care about that person somewhat. A rapport has been built over some time. At that point, biting the bullet is going to be tough and rejection is going to be painful. It's that type of repeated rejection by people 'you know and like' that creates bitterness.

And the person who gets rejected during friends first approach is usually a person who does not get all that much attention easily.

The best approach is 'acquaintances first'. Coined just today! Warm up to them a bit and get some conversation in. It could be anywhere from a few weeks to half an hour, but the key is to ask before you really know them. My suggestion.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I think the older a man gets the more things change for him, of course the looks go downhill and if he doesn't work hard to stay in good shape and health then forget about it.
You certainly aren't describing me. I am in the best shape of my life. I look like I am in my late thirties, full head of hair and very little gray. 140 pounds..

Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
So what would you have me do? I do things that I enjoy such as photography and running races. For years I thought it was impossible so you're right there was no motivation.
What if you were wrong all those years? But those years are gone now?

Here's a thought. I wonder if some of the guys who decide it's impossible, or no one could possibly be interested in them, or "it's too much work" are guys who have a tendency to isolate themselves? Maybe there's something in how their parents related to them as kids that caused a pattern of behavior? So you run races, that's good, there must be women racing, too? Do you ever try to talk to them, and get some rapport going? Or do you assume they're focussed on the race and they don't want to talk? (That's what I mean about isolating, vs. taking opportunities for some social moments.)

Oh well, it was just a thought. Never mind.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn--X View Post
What if you were wrong all those years? But those years are gone now?

Here's a thought. I wonder if some of the guys who decide it's impossible, or no one could possibly be interested in them, or "it's too much work" are guys who have a tendency to isolate themselves? Maybe there's something in how their parents related to them as kids that caused a pattern of behavior? So you run races, that's good, there must be women racing, too? Do you ever try to talk to them, and get some rapport going? Or do you assume they're focussed on the race and they don't want to talk? (That's what I mean about isolating, vs. taking opportunities for some social moments.)

Oh well, it was just a thought. Never mind.

I don't assume they are focussed. The expression on their faces is evident of that.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,949,123 times
I isolate myself because I have severe social anxiety. Whether my parents had a role in creating that, that's possible.

Isolating myself is a very old habit of mine, and one I don't ever see changing. It's too hard. There's always one reason or another why people are going to despise me. Also, there are many things that social interaction brings that I fear: disease, bed bugs, fleas, ticks, chiggers, getting beaten up or worse by gang members, and so on. It's so much more comfortable to go home after work and be alone.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I don't assume they are focussed. The expression on their faces is evident of that.
And yet, people do meet at marathons and running clubs.

You actually sound kinda cool, if you don't mind me saying so. You're depriving women of your company.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,114,654 times
Quote:
You certainly aren't describing me. I am in the best shape of my life. I look like I am in my late thirties, full head of hair and very little gray. 140 pounds..

Same with me I'm 34 and started working out a year ago and I'm in as good a shape as I've ever been and still no luck I guess my face is ugly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships