Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I don't get it either. I don't talk about my daughter (unless asked) and even then, I am very guarded about what I say. Mainly out of a sense of knowing "this man is pretty much a stranger to me at this point." I also have no intention of taking any man around my daughter, at all, unless it does become a serious relationship OR if by some really weird stroke of fate, he has a daughter too, about my daughter's age and we can go out with the kids as "friends" and do something with the kids like go to an amusement park, etc. But considering that I had my daughter later in life and that most people my age have teen-aged kids and most men seem to want to date younger (and therefore have even older children), that combination is probably not going to happen.
Absolutely. Why are you showing a complete stranger pictures of your kids? You don't know me. Granted, not many people are predators on online dating sites, but you can never be too careful with your kids. It just drives me bonkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,156,000 times
Quote:
She envisions her demographic as users in their mid-to-late 30s and early 40s who are set in their ways and might find it difficult to adapt domestically to a new partner.
I truly thought this was me, until I met my boyfriend with whom I now live. You just never know.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Absolutely. Why are you showing a complete stranger pictures of your kids? You don't know me. Granted, not many people are predators on online dating sites, but you can never be too careful with your kids. It just drives me bonkers!
Ha! I was told that I "don't get out much" for voicing this same concern yesterday.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Ha! I was told that I "don't get out much" for voicing this same concern yesterday.
I missed that or I would have backed you up. Sure, the predators are rare, but why take a chance if you don't have to? Especially considering most of these online dating things don't work out from my experience.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,999 times
That all sounds good to me!

I'm very busy and too free willed to want to be tied down to anything.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,374,503 times
This is something that would work for a number of people I know. It would have worked for me early on.

As for the child(ren) issue, I interacted and went out with a number of divorced fathers. Only one ex really spoke about his children from very early on. The others made mention to having children, but they didn't go into full detail about them. I don't gather they were troubled youth since the majority of the divorced fathers had children under 10. Excluding the few men I was in a relationship with, I spoke very little of my kids. I didn't see a reason to really bring them into the fold. I think it's best it stays that way until both parties are comfortable with taking it to that step.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I know they need one here in the US too. If I was more computer savvy, I might start my own side business, lol. I bet there is demand since people seem so busy these days with family, career, etc.
Do you wanna collaborate? I work in IT as a web developer.

I'm surprised there isn't already a site like this in the U.S. Then again, people would probably dismiss it as a hookup site. The big dating sites like Match and OKC offer options like short term dating, but that really isn't the same thing as part time lover. As someone close to 40 who's never been married, this is probably more in line with what I'm looking for. The idea of living with someone doesn't really appeal to me as much as it used to. I like having a life outside of my partner where if I want a night or two off to do my own thing, I can without having to tell them where I'm going or who I'm meeting. The part time lover is especially appealing when it comes to family. No longer do you have to worry about introducing your partner to your parents or meet their parents or worry about someone not getting along. At the same time, you're not chasing after a new person every week.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
I am not particularly "attachy." I like to spend time together, but not all the time together. Definitely need some away time! but it varies.

I think living together is fine, but I would need 2 days a week away. At least. Well that would happen on its own, just because that is how my life is. I have several circles of friends, I'm volunteering at a non-profit, I like to go to classes and stuff. So yeah, life can be packed.

Part-time could work. Or I could want a little more time. But it probably isn't full time.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:10 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Nothing wrong with this ... I am 25 and not looking for a LTR at this point, so instead I have a couple of FWB's. Works for me!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Do you wanna collaborate? I work in IT as a web developer.

I'm surprised there isn't already a site like this in the U.S. Then again, people would probably dismiss it as a hookup site. The big dating sites like Match and OKC offer options like short term dating, but that really isn't the same thing as part time lover. As someone close to 40 who's never been married, this is probably more in line with what I'm looking for. The idea of living with someone doesn't really appeal to me as much as it used to. I like having a life outside of my partner where if I want a night or two off to do my own thing, I can without having to tell them where I'm going or who I'm meeting. The part time lover is especially appealing when it comes to family. No longer do you have to worry about introducing your partner to your parents or meet their parents or worry about someone not getting along. At the same time, you're not chasing after a new person every week.
Yeah, you are probably right. Looking at the comments of the article a lot of people are thinking it's just a hookup site. I am doing Match and OKC right now though and not finding what I want. Like I've said over and over in so many threads, I keep running into men that want a serious, full-time, relationship (and most aren't shy about saying they want it to lead to marriage). I am just not ready for that kind of serious at this point in my life as I have priorities more important than dating--my child, my job, and then family and friends (where a date would fall to start).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships