Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I guess there is no real point to this post except that I feel less weird about wanting a casual (AKA "part-time") relationship. But it would be nice to hear other people's opinions of it out of curiosity.
Are you looking for a part time relationship with a monogamous partner or a non monogamous part time relationship? Big difference that neither the linked article nor you seem to address.

As I mentioned in a post a week ago in a different thread, I conducted an experiment with my OLD profile where I stated that I was looking for a non monogamous relationship. Usually I get a pretty high response rate, but with the 'non monogamous relationship' wording I got zero responses, and that was targeting women that were just looking for casual dating. My conclusion was that many women may want a part time relationship, but they still expect monogamy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Are you looking for a part time relationship with a monogamous partner or a non monogamous part time relationship? Big difference that neither the linked article nor you seem to address.

As I mentioned in a post a week ago in a different thread, I conducted an experiment with my OLD profile where I stated that I was looking for a non monogamous relationship. Usually I get a pretty high response rate, but with the 'non monogamous relationship' wording I got zero responses, and that was targeting women that were just looking for casual dating. My conclusion was that many women may want a part time relationship, but they still expect monogamy.
And when men put their emotions on the line, that's what they want too. If someone wanted a part-time relationship, than they better be monogamous with me and me only.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
Quote:

I would prefer monogamy, but I don't think I would expect it. Then again, I would probably get it by default because what I am really interested in is a man who is like me and who has his own life, interests, and independence and doesn't rely on dating to entertain him.

What I am running into now are men who "need" to date 2-3 nights a week, call every night, and text several times a day and this is even before there is a relationship!With one man I dated recently, I couldn't even go work out for an hour without him worrying about why I wasn't texting him back. So darn clingy!

What I am looking for is a man who, like me is busy, has his own life whether it be his career, family or friends, or hobbies, and who wants to go out and have fun on weekends when we have time, maybe a vacation or two a year, we go to each other's family events as the "+1," and in between call a couple of times a week or maybe meet for a quick coffee on the way to work. A man like that only has time to date one person by default because he has a busy and active life too.

That's it, and with no agenda that we have to progress the relationship to more than what it is. There is no agenda to move in together or get married. I am not saying it can't develop into more, but there is no expectation of it.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,603,421 times
Now I'm singing the Stevie Wonder song in my head.

Thanks for the earworm!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Nothing wrong with this ... I am 25 and not looking for a LTR at this point, so instead I have a couple of FWB's. Works for me!
FWB isn't quite the same. What I got from this is the relationship goal is very traditional in terms of intimacy, activities, but at a reduced time commitment.

FWB sticks pretty closely to the physical and not emotional needs.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
FWB isn't quite the same. What I got from this is the relationship goal is very traditional in terms of intimacy, activities, but at a reduced time commitment.

FWB sticks pretty closely to the physical and not emotional needs.
Pretty much. Just like a traditional relationship but not the time sink. I am finding too many men out there have maybe their job and nothing else and expect a realtionship to fill the void. I want a man who, like me, has other priories and interests and a relationship is an addition to his life, not the center of it (at least to start). Like I said, I am not saying it can't grow into more... but it also doesn't "Have" to.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I would prefer monogamy, but I don't think I would expect it. Then again, I would probably get it by default because what I am really interested in is a man who is like me and who has his own life, interests, and independence and doesn't rely on dating to entertain him.
My guess would be that what you would most likely get by default is some guy that tells you what you want to hear, sees you part time, but continues to pursue other women behind your back.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times
Quote:
My guess would be that what you would most likely get by default is some guy that tells you what you want to hear, sees you part time, but continues to pursue other women behind your back.
Ding ding ding. When he finds that person he will vanish.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Then he wouldn't be the right guy anyway because it would mean he doesn't have a life outside dating or ignores his family/kids, career, has no friends, hobbies, etc. No loss.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
Some men are actually honest.

I know, for some other men this can be hard to imagine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships