Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM

53 posts, read 76,706 times

Advertisements

I've been dating a girl for the past couple months. She actually reached out to me from an online dating service. We have good conversations, similar values, and I usually enjoy my time with her.

At our first three dates she seemed very physically attractive, but since then her appearance has been quite variable. She definitely has put the same amount of effort into her presentation. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where she even seems unattractive. I feel really conflicted about it. I like her as a person but feel a little deceived. Has this ever happened to anyone? Have you ever dated someone whose appearance could vary drastically by their grooming habits/clothing?

It's really a head scratcher and I feel like crap. If you have any advice, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,226,109 times
Are you still attracted to her when she doesn't look her best?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,023,537 times
Means you liked her dolled up.So she got too comfortable too soon with you?
Many ladies will show their true self if they are comfortable with a guy.

Feeling like crap means you liked the superficial stuff.lol! Relax many do.I like a well groomed good smelling guy myself.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,163,768 times
Do you not like her style at times or is it that her clothes & makeup so greatly improve her that without their aid she is not attractive to you?

The latter is not really deception and the former is not necessarily deception either (as it can be a matter of being naive about what women look like due to unrealistic beauty ideals). Most people, including men, need the aid of good dress & grooming to be attractive at all, so it can be unrealistic to hold it against them if these aids improve their looks a lot.

In any case, if you don't find her physically attractive, then why continue dating her?
She deserves someone who finds her attractive, so it's not doing her a favor.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM

7,087 posts, read 9,001,761 times
If you like her as a person and enjoy being around her then why care about her looks? In the long run it is not the most important thing in the world.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,257,393 times
Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoforastig;
At our first three dates she seemed very physically attractive, but since then her appearance has been quite variable. She definitely has put the same amount of effort into her presentation. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where she even seems unattractive. I feel really conflicted about it. I like her as a person but feel a little deceived. Has this ever happened to anyone? Have you ever dated someone whose appearance could vary drastically by their grooming habits/clothing?
Is there a typo in the bolded? You said she does put the same amount of effort into her presentation. So what's the problem exactly? Does she change her hairstyle? Change her clothing style? Stop wearing makeup? What's going on? At any rate, what you see is what you get. So either you like the package or you don't.

Would it make you happier if she wore the clothes/makeup/whatever that you like, all the time, if you know that underneath it she's different? What about when the relationship progresses (if that happens), and you see her nude, without the clothes that make her look hot? What about if you see her get out of the shower, makeup-free, enhancing bra-free, etc. At what point do you decide you aren't into her?

You said you enjoy your time with her. Same values, good convos. And she looks good about 1/2 the time? If that's not enough for you, let her go.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 07-29-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM

336 posts, read 592,496 times
I've had the same trouble with someone I met. For me, it usually happens when we're out in public or around people at school/work where I look around before I see her.

When we're alone, there's nothing wrong with how she looks.

Maybe I'm just weird and this makes no sense at all.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,248,700 times
Is this the nerdy-girl "love of your life" you wanted to give fashion advice to???

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...d-fashion.html

Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?
Sometimes I wonder if some of these new members don't get their OP ideas from that show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships