Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,823,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaloba View Post
OK, but there was no "social cue" that she was just there to shop just because she stood behind you instead of next to you. You could have easily turned around and said whatever you were going to say, right? BTW, props to you for talking to anyone at a supermarket. I have no idea what people talk about when they say they meet people at stores. Like "mmm, this yogurt will taste good when I eat it!!"
I make general comments. For example, I saw a man with a funny tee shirt so I said, "hey, cool tee-shirt. Where did you get it?"

But he was one of those people that doesn't like random conversation and he literally bolted off. Then I noticed anytime he and I would be in the same aisle in the store, he'd look and me and take off again. lol. It was weird and funny at the same time.

But I tend to talk mostly in checkout lines when I am bored. I once got into a discussion with a man over the best flavor of ice cream. He started to conversation, but it was fun talking about our favorite flavors. Of course, I also talk to other people, not just men. I like to tell mothers with children that their children are adorable (because they are ), etc.

The only people I don't talk to in stores are children--because children are taught not to talk to strangers and I don't want to upset them. Wonder if that was tee-shirt guy's problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,667,557 times
Quote:
OK, but there was no "social cue" that she was just there to shop just because she stood behind you instead of next to you. You could have easily turned around and said whatever you were going to say, right? BTW, props to you for talking to anyone at a supermarket. I have no idea what people talk about when they say they meet people at stores. Like "mmm, this yogurt will taste good when I eat it!!"
lol...Over the past few weeks, I've had two men offer to assist me when I was trying to reach something on a high shelf. They didn't hit on me so they were probably just being nice, but target the short women!

Old 07-31-2014, 01:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,300,729 times
Quote:
I could have done that I suppose. Just didn't think about it at the time. Sometimes you just get the vibe that saying something to that person is just not the right moment.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,175,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My experience pretty much too (and I am also a former model). Offline I have men falling over me but online? mostly older men, guys looking for sex, and dads (my profile states no dads). When a normal seeming childless guy contacted me I found out he wasn't that normal and he was usually married or mental (one guy threatened me). I rarely ever had a guy reference my profile it was usually "you're hot".
Men are "falling over you" in real life, but you still have to resort to online dating?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's what happened to me. I only get contacted by very old dudes or early 20's. The guys around my age only message me when they are super unattractive or have 4 kids with 5 women or any other serious red flag. Seems like there are no good guys from age 35-45.

But it's the same in the outside world. I get hit on constantly by old dudes in the stores or young guys whistle out of their cars. If I cold approach a nice guy my age, he either just stares at me or acts very cold and tries to get away.

Most guys I contact online don't even respond. Or respond and act super weird.

I have given up and focus on myself for now.
Really? You're a nice looking woman. Maybe they're afraid you'll grope them .

Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There's currently an active thread debating the merits of cold-approach in real life. Jillabean's point conveys nicely to indicate why cold-approach in real life is offensive. It's a spiel, a tactic, a scheme for insinuating oneself in a stranger's life - and it's very annoying.
It's only "offensive" if the woman finds you unattractive.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 PM

214 posts, read 207,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Men are "falling over you" in real life, but you still have to resort to online dating?
Zing!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,919,530 times
Quote:
I'm not online, but yes when I was I had plenty of men falling over me. I did it to keep my options.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You basically froze. You do what I do (and most guys), which is that you planned it all out in your head and then she didn't do what you planned and so you froze. I do that ALL the freakin' time. Like I go, "she'll stand here and then I'll 'spontaneously' turn to her and say ..." and then she instead doesn't and I just sit there waiting for her to move to the spot I was waiting for. It's a terrible feeling.
That's were you messed up, a cold approch shouldn't be planned. In my experience, the times that a cold approach worked is when is was completely spontaneous and I was carefree and nonchalant. When I overthink it and try to "plan" the approach didn't really work.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 PM

214 posts, read 207,419 times
Quote:
That's were you messed up, a cold approch shouldn't be planned. In my experience, the times that a cold approach worked is when is was completely spontaneous and I was carefree and nonchalant. When I overthink it and try to "plan" the approach didn't really work.
You're right, but on the other hand some of us are really shy. So sue us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships