Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:27 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyaskedme View Post
I don't know, I think these two were good people on the inside, I just couldn't give them what they wanted from a relationship.

I'm not sure if i'm just too eager to find a easy solution, but i'm almost certain the lack of confidence in physical stuff is the only reason for these dates falling flat. Literally everything else was going well. Good conversations that flowed well, lots of laughs, agreement about ways we interpret the world and we starting discussing some deeper topics as well like our families and stuff. They were all in the 2-4 hour range and none of them dragged. The physical hesitance is the only thing I can think of that didn't work out well, but maybe i'm overlooking some other key things that were important.
That's a really good start. And some women are happy with no "physical stuff" on the first few dates. It has to come naturally, like if you're both feeling chemistry. The first 2 or 3 dates are just to get to know each other and figure out if there's good ground for compatibility and maybe a little chemistry. Gauge it by how she looks at you, whether she touches you in casual gestures, tone of voice (enthusiasm, for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
What you did took a lot of courage. My hat is off to you.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Learn from your experiences.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 13,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
What you did took a lot of courage. My hat is off to you.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Learn from your experiences.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm trying to improve a little bit each time. I have to say, online dating has been a good thing for me in this. I am much more confident in writing then in person, so being able to get the ice-breaker done through the internet really makes the process a-lot easier. Another benefit is that I know the person is at least a little bit interested when we arrange to meet for the first time, instead of having to fight for the person's interest if I were to approach them at a bar or something.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,236 times
Quote:
As the title says i'm one of those late-bloomers on the romance scene, so to speak. Rather then have this be some sort of pity-party like a-lot of fellow late bloomers seem to initiate, I would like this thread to be a place to share experiences and maybe learn some stuff that sheds some light on this whole process.

So, my story so far: I'm 25, never had a girlfriend, sex, kiss or anything. I just started dating a few months ago. My first experience went quite well. I got to a third date, but she didn't see me as relationship potential. I had fun on these dates, but their was no physical stuff going on at all. I think I was too nervous because of my lack of experience. I didn't do anything on those 3 dates to indicate that I was romantically interested in this person and I think that's what put me in the "friend-zone". I know this because I got the whole, 'you're a great guy...' routine. So my lesson learned from this experience was, always initiate some romantic interest by the third date. Maybe you can get away with just 'hanging out' on the first two, but if you haven't shown romantic interest by #3, you are going to struggle.

After this I went on a number of first dates, none successful. One person showed up 30-minutes late without any acknowledgement to her tardiness. From the very first minute, I decided I am not going to pursue anything with this woman. Her behavior showed a lack of respect for my time, which in turn shows a lack of respect toward me. No way i'm dealing with that.

Next, I got to date #5 with someone. I had my first proper kiss However, they were the initiator. After date 5, the person told me it wasn't working out. Once again, I got the great-guy routine. I think my error with this person was that I revealed my lack of experience. I didn't do this using direct language, but I alluded to it. Once I did this, it was all downhill I think. Also, I think I really should have been more confident in initiating romantic gestures.

My goal for the next person I go out with is to be the initiator of kissing, holding hands etc. I think i'll be more confident about it now that i've finally had my first kiss. Also, I need to hold off on revealing my lack of experience. It's a complete turn-off and I don't care how empathetic somebody is, this is going to be a problem.

It's also really important to respect yourself. Don't just go for anybody who seems interested. Make sure they could be a good match for you and make sure they respect you. Respect yourself first and only then will you receive respect.

Anybody have anything to add to this? I'm looking to learn as much as I can since i'm playing catch-up here, so any good insights would be appreciated.
How did you meet this woman you are dating?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
How did you meet this woman you are dating?
Well, we're not dating anymore obviously, but all of my dates have been arranged online.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,236 times
Quote:
Well, we're not dating anymore obviously, but all of my dates have been arranged online.
well at least you have gotten laid your share of times

Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I think you need to read again?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:44 PM

284 posts, read 341,056 times
Quote:
This is one of the reasons why some women have such a negative attitude towards dating...because of this dunce-like thinking. As if the success of a date is measured by "getting laid."

Also, try to read the OP well before commenting.

OP, I'm glad that you're making great strides and maintaining a positive attitude. If you continue to be patient with yourself and introspect, all these experiences will prepare you well for that special person you seek.

All the best!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM

65 posts, read 129,261 times
I have a super conservative upbringing but your experience is unheard of
can I ask what dating website are you using and what is your general location / belief?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
I have a super conservative upbringing but your experience is unheard of
can I ask what dating website are you using and what is your general location / belief?
Probably only unheard of because people wouldn't be shouting this fact from the rooftops. I am using one of the largest of the websites. I live on the Northeast in one of the major cities. Belief? very liberal I suppose, but I don't like to classify it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships