Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Ok, parents refuse to pay for a tutor. They said "I sent you there in hope you will excel. All you produced were failures, and you are asking US to pay up for YOUR mistakes. I'm sorry, that will never happen. Good Bye."

I am just speechless now and feel terrible. Its not like I gave up, I am putting in the effort .
What are you studying? And can you check out youtube? There might be some video tutorials there that can help you.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
What are you studying? And can you check out youtube? There might be some video tutorials there that can help you.
Numerical Analysis of Nonlinear Differential equations.

I'll look into khan academy stuff and Wolfram Alpha. That's the best I can do for now.

I'll talk with my classmates & TA about other online resources available (Chegg perhaps ?).

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-23-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nume...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Old 09-24-2014, 01:42 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:

Old 09-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Cripes, I finally had to sit down for a few minutes.
I just finished round 4 of dishes and I am still not done (yes Hurrican Mr. CSD has gone through the entire house)
I have other things I really need to tend to today but the kitchen got hit the worst so I am tackling it first.
After that I will tend to the little bedroom and get things moved around so I can actually get some sewing done this evening.
Then I will remove the linens from our bed and put fresh on and wash the others with the wee bit of other laundry we have.
Then I need to get the clean laundry finished up, folded and put away.
I would also like to find the top of the dining room table today
and I am 4 months away from having all of my business bank account on a digital/electronic system.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:22 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Those are actually very and generalized simple cases (which we learned in undergrad DE's).

What we are studying is far more complex and explained quite differently from that. My professor calls this the "Holy Hale" :

Ordinary Differential Equations - Jack K. Hale - Google Books

Old 09-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Those are actually very and generalized simple cases (which we learned in undergrad DE's).

What we are studying is far more complex and explained quite differently from that. My professor calls this the "Holy Hale" :

Ordinary Differential Equations - Jack K. Hale - Google Books

Okay, I was hoping it would help a wee bit.
I know nothing about mathematics but our Son In Law is a Mathematics Professor.
He got his PhD. about 8 years ago, is a professor and head chair of the math department which he started doing about 4 years after he was hired as a part time/temporary professor.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Quote:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...w-about-no.jpg

There is a reason I chose not to go into a career that involved any kind of math.

Your professor does not seem good...is he just a lecturer? He deserves a poor student evaluation at the end of your semester/quarter. Would it be terrible to retake the class with a different instructor?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Your professor does not seem good...is he just a lecturer? He deserves a poor student evaluation at the end of your semester/quarter. Would it be terrible to retake the class with a different instructor?
That's a good point. It may be early enough in the semester to be able to drop or switch. Ask your advisor.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing that a professor would be singling out and ridiculing a student in front of an entire class. Adi seems like a good egg, but he's also very sensitive and seems sheltered, so I'm wondering if there's some cultural or other misunderstanding going on here.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-24-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 11:56 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...w-about-no.jpg

There is a reason I chose not to go into a career that involved any kind of math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's a good point. It may be early enough in the semester to be able to drop or switch. Ask your advisor.
Quote:
He always talks about how I'm destined for failure. This has happened a number of times already. I am not convinced talking to him about course issues is going to help. Additionally, he is the only professor teaching this class, and the course is a pre requisite for all other higher level graduate courses.

I don't know why I'm so sensitive to this, but the picture below describes my feelings right now.
Adi had this to say a little while back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships