Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 08:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Definitely no shame at all. My Grandfather walked from Shelbyville, Indiana to Decatur, Illinois when he was a teenager so he could go live with his Father.
At that time it was rare to be able to purchase shoes for yourself for many so you basically wore what you could find.
My Grandfather had to wear women's shoes to school for an entire year because those were the only shoes that could be found for free that fit him.

He did not go to college, was a Millwright for A.E. Staley for 50+ years and for the last 35 of those years was the head Millwright for A.E. Staley in Decatur, IL. He was involved in so much more though and very much loved and respected by everyone who knew him.
Especially me.

I honestly did not realize that we were poor but we went to Catholic School so we all had to wear uniforms except for picture day so it really wasn't clear in the area to us.
Also, we lived out in the country so had no chance to be social outside of school with classmates so we did not see their homes or how they lived either.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
I guess we were lower middle class. My dad had a solid, stable job, but was feeding four kids on one income. We weren't spoiled, but we definitely weren't hurting for things that we needed. My best friend at the time was an only child, and when I compared my "goods," lol, to hers, I came up way short.

I was the only girl among boys, so I also know that my mom would try to make sure that, when something important came up, she would do her best to make sure I could have something nice (or "pretty," lol). She grew up poorer than we did, so she knew how "important" (not really, but...) it was as far as peer pressure.

She did have to be creative with the bills every month, though, lol.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 PM

With Mr. CSD Pop worked for the original Ma Bell and Mom stayed home but their situation was a bit different for the era.

Mom had been married and had a son then divorced which was rare at that time. Since she had a son she needed to support said son so she was able to get a job at Ma Bell as well as a telephone operator.
Pop worked in the field but for some reason had to go into the main office one day, he saw Mom and knew that he was going to marry that woman whether she liked it or not....LOL

Eventually they married, Pop adopted her son, they had 4 more boys and when asked about children Pop always without hesitation told everyone he had 5 sons, not 4 sons and 1 stepson, he had 5 sons.
So they were not rich by any means but they did not spend lavishly either, they saved for years and actually bought their home in the "new" subdivision as it was being built. They moved in that home in 1962 and lived there until they both crossed over, Pop in 1998 and Mom in 2005.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I was so poor I had to walk to school in the snow up hill both ways and with no shoes on and was thankful be able to do it......

LOL.....

Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 PM

hahahaha.......you are so funny

Suze (the baby cat) has decided her new favorite place to sleep is on the quilt that I have in the sewing machine waiting to be finished for one of our grandsons.
The other day I was trying to get some sewing on it done and she was on said quilt. I put her down and she immediately jumped right back up on that quilt and was starting to primp so she could get cozy and take a nap.
After I had put her down 4 times and she jumped right back up on that quilt 5 times, I surrendered and got the dishes washed and the kitchen cleaned up while she took her nap on that quilt.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
hahahaha.......you are so funny

Suze (the baby cat) has decided her new favorite place to sleep is on the quilt that I have in the sewing machine waiting to be finished for one of our grandsons.
The other day I was trying to get some sewing on it done and she was on said quilt. I put her down and she immediately jumped right back up on that quilt and was starting to primp so she could get cozy and take a nap.
After I had put her down 4 times and she jumped right back up on that quilt 5 times, I surrendered and got the dishes washed and the kitchen cleaned up while she took her nap on that quilt.
She's thinking, I'll train her yet.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:24 PM

I think you are correct because I discovered after I finished the dishes she decided to go and nap in Cailleach's bed...LOL
the little stinker.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you are correct because I discovered after I finished the dishes she decided to go and nap in Cailleach's bed...LOL
the little stinker.
Planning the next day's curriculum...

Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What kind of dinner is this? School, work, wedding? Just have a good time, even if you are wearing a tie.
Just came back. What started as a dinner eventually turned into an insane party, and I danced for around 40 minutes Couldn't keep up any longer, and spent the rest of my time sipping virgin drinks watching others dance. This was my first time partying, BTW.

Now I feel so tired, good night.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:04 PM

I just took a photo of part of the fabric I have in the house but there is a reason I took this photo.
I am currently taking all of the fabric and putting it in food saver bags to store until I get to working with it.

The point of the photo is to show the fabric folded and on the shelf as it currently is, then the after photo will be the same fabric contained within the food saver bags on the same shelf unit.

Pretty odd I know but I wanted to show Mr. CSD the space saving and actually cost saving by keeping fabric like this.
The bags are water proof, all the air is sucked out of the bags so the storage space is smaller, no unwanted critters are inside the bag so the fabric should keep better for a longer period of time.
Time will tell if my thought process is correct.

I did use a different quality of bag for the fabric though, it is all food grade and can be used in the refrigerator or freezer however, the bags I chose are a bit less quality simply because it is all for fabric and not food.
The same thing can be done with all the bags but these are not as thick as the better quality food bags available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships