Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times

Advertisements

Well the odds are if you've dated more than a few people you already have, and you had no idea you were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 PM

138 posts, read 171,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
You dodged a bullet there & you know it
Yet so many people would jump at the chance to
have that kind of repetitive, mind numbingly boring life....

Oh- glad you mentioned the sex...
Sex is unbelievably boring w/ the "normal" types.
Seriously- the "crazy" ones are addictive
I'll take the repetitive boring life. I lived enough of the crazy life in my teens and 20s, so give me a day at the job, dinner at the same time, help the kids with homework, watch tv, sleep and do it again anytime. Maybe throw in a vacation with some more interesting stuff here and there to break it up and that's good enough.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:45 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,877,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So if a woman was assaulted in her life, she isn't datable?

I would never have ever ever thought that one.
Am I the only person who is wondering what ultimate prize this guy is?

I am imaging he is either a PUA type "I'm too alpha for anything below an 8. It's genetics, bro" or he has some form of high-functioning autism. The fact that he is okay with Aspergers is rather telling. I guess they would have a lot in common.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,693,206 times
Sometimes you don't find out until it's too late.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,947,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well the odds are if you've dated more than a few people you already have, and you had no idea you were.
Oh yeah!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,771,035 times
My ex was bulimic, had PTSD from various numerous traumatic events, and a host of other issues, all untreated. She was a very sweet person, but in the end I just couldn't handle it anymore. If I had been in love with her maybe I could have stuck through it, but I wasn't and couldn't. It would take a stronger person than me.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,198,129 times
^^^ See I'm not talking about the seriously heavy mental problems-
I wouldn't be able to be w/ someone w/ PTSD, or any other
majorly heavy mental disorder, such as schizophrenia.....
It's all about the particular issue, I guess

Old 09-19-2014, 07:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
^^^ See I'm not talking about the seriously heavy mental problems-
I wouldn't be able to be w/ someone w/ PTSD, or any other
majorly heavy mental disorder, such as schizophrenia.....
It's all about the particular issue, I guess

That, and if it is treated or untreated.

With some issues and some people, even treated it is tough. A friend of mine has been living with a bipolar woman for 6 years now and she is treated, but meds need adjusting from time to time and it is a ride. Not sure how well I could deal with that. I guess it would depend on how much I love them.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,692,323 times
I would be unlikely to enter into something serious, knowing this from the get-go.

The reason? I did date somebody with mental health issues, and lived with him for five years. I knew about them going in, although he was careful to present them as milder than they actually were (over time living with him, the severity was difficult to conceal when he'd have episodes), and another thing I knew going in was that he was seeking treatment, or I'd not have continued the relationship. Unfortunately, after a period of time in counseling, he felt that he was fine, and when that proved not to be the case, he refused to acknowledge or treat it, and the situation deteriorated from there.

I don't hold mental health issues against someone as a person, in any way, shape, or form. But I did learn the hard way that I cannot build a relationship with someone who will not address their issues in a healthy or productive way. The more difficult thing would be the development of mental health issues within the course of a long-term relationship. It's much easier to just not start a relationship with somebody who is emotionally unstable than it is to pull the plug on a longtime partnership when someone develops depression, etc. In the case of a long-established, healthy relationship built on trust, the context changes. My husband and I included "in sickness and in health" vows in our wedding ceremony, and we're serious about that. If, however, either of us developed mental health problems and refused to treat them, that throws a different spin on things. When you are in a relationship or marriage, you have a responsibility to take care of your own well-being to the best of your ability, not just for yourself, but for the sake of your relationship/family.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,289,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
If someone had some form of mental illness, such as BDD, social anxiety, depression, GAD, or bipolar, would you still date them?
No because they're unstable and therefore, incapable of having a substantive relationship. Jekyll and Hyde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships