Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

The importance of timing to make a relationship work came up in another thread and really made me think. I've been dating someone wonderful, but unfortunately he is leaving my area due to his job. Bad timing. I've had cases of bad timing where I met someone too soon out of a relationship or in one case I myself was just too soon out of a relationship.

How important do you think timing is to having a relationship work out? Have you ever lost someone you felt could be the right person for you because of bad timing? Has anyone ever been able to work through a case of bad timing, or maybe that person came back into your life later on and worked out when the timing was better?

I think it's hard to accept a relationship not working out due to bad timing/circumstances. At least when things fizzle out naturally or the other person does something you know is a deal breaker you can accept eh, just not the right person. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
It is critical

Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,861 times
You know my answer. Timing is absolutely essential in making a relationship work. Without it, you've got nothing, at least for the time being. Maybe it'll work out down the road, assuming your paths cross again.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Timing is important. It can make all the difference. If you are not mentally ready, you might let a good guy pass. Or if he is leaving the area during the early stages of a relationship, that is just really bad luck.

I am dating a guy since a few weeks and after I saw him once, I got contacted by another awesome guy. So now I have two GREAT guys trying to date me and I have to make a decision. I keep comparing them (which of course is not fair but what should I do???) and it is really tough.

I was looking so badly for a bf for a year now and now I have to let one pass and wonder if he would have been THE ONE.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
The importance of timing to make a relationship work came up in another thread and really made me think. I've been dating someone wonderful, but unfortunately he is leaving my area due to his job. Bad timing. I've had cases of bad timing where I met someone too soon out of a relationship or in one case I myself was just too soon out of a relationship.

How important do you think timing is to having a relationship work out? Have you ever lost someone you felt could be the right person for you because of bad timing? Has anyone ever been able to work through a case of bad timing, or maybe that person came back into your life later on and worked out when the timing was better?

I think it's hard to accept a relationship not working out due to bad timing/circumstances. At least when things fizzle out naturally or the other person does something you know is a deal breaker you can accept eh, just not the right person. Thoughts?
next to chemistry and compatibility, timing is a deal breaker imho, like out of your control deal breaker.

interestingly you should ask about bad timing and my prior. 2 years ago, i dated someone (bf-gf) after freshly getting divorce and was "emotionally unavailable" as they say along with doing other things that unintentionally didn't help our relationship (talking to my ex-wife about post-divorce stuff). anyway, i ended up breaking up with her cuz i couldnt deal with the level of drama should was throwing out (total party girl) and i couldn't give her the level of commitment she wanted. it wasn't a bad break up but i knew it hurt her being dumped. fast forward, she's a bit more mature, and so am i. and we seem to be a bit more compatible and have talked about doing an LTR again. but getting back with an ex requires a little more caution cuz the it could be wise just to keep it friends and let grow than jump into another committed relationship. plus i still have this stupid love for another woman is is unavailable emotionally and committed relationship wise.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Timing is imperative.....
It can make or break something amazing.
Right after I suddenly became single w/ little ones to raise all alone....
I met my best friend, my inspiration & my landlord at that time.
It was meant to be- see when I called on places to rent...people would ask who I needed a place for.
I'd explain I had little ones & they'd instantly hang up on me or say it's taken.

After literally calling on about 40 places & dragging my kids along w/ me,
I realized how discriminatory the majority of landlords are.

We were all so down.
I called on the final place.
It was a fantastic part of town, & we were familiar w/ everybody there.
I was considering what my kids wanted- they had been through so much.
I called on the place.....& I walked through the place the next day
(noting how intensely hot the guy was, who owned it, lol)
The place was beautiful, all brand new
I wanted it, but didn't wanna get my hopes up......
I explained to him it's for me & my kids...
He was so empathetic, so compassionate & so interested in everything I told him.
2 days later I figured I didn't get the place.
Phone rings...its him.
He says none of my references got back to him but he doesn't care-
The place was mine.....
For the next 5 years I rented from him, had 3 hour long conversations w/ him regularly...
He was a gift to us at the time.
Plus he became sort of a father figure to my kids....
He filled a void for all of us.
When he told me he was moving to Arizona....
Ugh.
I couldn't tear my kids away from their friends & their stability for my own desires....
Seriously if only the timing was better....

Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Timing is everything in relationships. I choose not to actively date because with me being in grad school and trying to establish myself in a new field, I don't want to ruin a good thing with a good potential suitor because I cannot make time for them and am too focused on my career.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,634 times
Often you cannot control the "timing".

You own timing perhaps but not the other person's timing, for instance usually I got into "cryin' ex boyfriend" types of woman...not my thing really.

If you don't recognize opportunities in life, well...they'll just pass you by.

When I was younger it happened to me as well (I was coming out of relationships), but at least I was honest about it.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times
Timing is pretty crucial to things working out. It's why they say when you're in a situation where the timing seems to line up, you should capitalize on it, even if it ends up not going anywhere. It's all about the experience and what you learn from that person, if it's a person that you enjoy being around.

If the timing isn't right, there's really no point in pursuing. Someone's going to be working too hard to try and keep something going.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Timing is everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships