Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times

Advertisements

Maybe I lack emotional maturity, but I find the beginning stages of courtship/romance much more enjoyable than when things actually get real. Rationally, I'd like to find someone to settle down with, but I can't seem to get over the possibilities I'm able to project on someone new that I'm still getting to know. Is there something wrong with me? Am I a commitmentaphobe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,718,408 times
No I don't think anything is wrong with you. It's quite possible the right person hasn't come along yet but yes it is also possible you are falling in love with the idea of being in love.

Love is not all kittens and rainbows. There are going to be some tough spots. I'm quite sure you know all of this, as the evidence is apparent in your post. The fact that you seem to not want to deal with the stressful situations that relationships sometimes entail, seems to support my theory on the fact that you just haven't met the right person yet. Once you do, it'll probably hit you like a ton of bricks. Not saying that's a bad thing. lol

In my experience when I would crush hard on someone, I really just crushed hard on the idea of being with them. I would imagine it being a lot greater than it actually would have been if I had actually made a move. This has happened to me a lot, so it is pretty frustrating. I think you should try to analyze why you feel as though you can't get passed a certain stage when it comes to liking someone. Don't stress too much on it though.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM

11,791 posts, read 12,027,255 times
I don't know if you're a commitment-phobe but it sounds like you have some unrealistic expectations of what real relationships look like.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I think a lot of people fall in love with ideas and possibilities. Some women will love you for who you could be (which you may or may not agree with or want for yourself) and some women will love you for who you are.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:38 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
You got to get someone first.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Maybe I lack emotional maturity, but I find the beginning stages of courtship/romance much more enjoyable than when things actually get real. Rationally, I'd like to find someone to settle down with, but I can't seem to get over the possibilities I'm able to project on someone new that I'm still getting to know. Is there something wrong with me? Am I a commitmentaphobe?
I think perhaps you know that the entire relationship is not going to be as exciting and interesting as it is when first dating and that is the part that you like the most.
It is fun, mysterious, exciting and basically play time all the time, the real world of dating, relationships, marriage and responsibility is what you don't want so you choose the fantasy play time until you become too comfortable and familar.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,521,478 times
Quote:

Courtship and something new is exciting!
It creates dopamine in the brain.
Which we all like.

But it can still be fun and exciting as time goes on.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:31 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times
Here Philosophizer

contemplate this triangle; and the locus you inhabit -

Triangular theory of love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
Idealized love is a line of cocaine. Actual love is a bag of apples.

One feels good - the other is healthier for you.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
If you have never been in love with someone - it's pretty hard to imagine what it's like. After the euphoric courtship stage comes something deeper, truer, and more meaningful. If, after the euphoric stage, you are then bored and not happy spending time with that person - then it's not love. It was just lust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships