Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
A lot of what makes dating so difficult these days is that attitude. I get that you wouldn't date someone living in poverty, but what about someone that just simply made considerably less than you. I make about 75k and would think nothing of dating a waitress or a teacher that makes half of what I do if she was happy, yet almost all the women I work with are with men that earn as much or more than they do. Times are changing. Younger Women as a collective whole are actually starting to out earn men in the United States. This attitude that a man must out earn his partner is creating a lot of unhappy single people. I see it with the single women I work with all the time (especially if they're not particularly attractive). They want an educated guy that makes as much or more than they do, while the men they're waiting around for go for a more attractive woman because they make a decent living and can. These women end up being bitter because they're not willing to date the blue collar guys that match up with them physically, due to thinking they deserve more financially. I think this is one of the big reasons that there are so many more single people these days. I'm glad that women are starting to get a piece of the pie, but they need to realize what it comes with.

Almost all women I've dated the past ten years make more than I do, but we're in the same general ballpark, with some exceptions. It is somewhat important to be on equal levels so you can live your lives together and do things together. If I made 20k or 30k, I wouldn't be able to go away for long weekends with them, or go skiing, or go out to a decent dinner, etc. That's no fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Almost all women I've dated the past ten years make more than I do, but we're in the same general ballpark, with some exceptions. It is somewhat important to be on equal levels so you can live your lives together and do things together. If I made 20k or 30k, I wouldn't be able to go away for long weekends with them, or go skiing, or go out to a decent dinner, etc. That's no fun.
Eh, given a choice between a model that is working as a waitress and a lawyer guess who I'm choosing?

[whichever one is hotter]

Old 12-15-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Eh, given a choice between a model that is working as a waitress and a lawyer guess who I'm choosing?

Silliness

Old 12-15-2014, 12:16 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:

Then I hope you're not one of those dudes who ends up complaining about having to pay for everything when your hot girlfriend with no job wants to be taken out to dinner and go on vacations and whatnot.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Then I hope you're not one of those dudes who ends up complaining about having to pay for everything when your hot girlfriend with no job wants to be taken out to dinner and go on vacations and whatnot.

Beyond that: Good looks are great. I'm not dating someone I'm not attracted to - not going to happen. But how long does "hotness" in itself stand as enough? 30 minutes? 2hrs? 2 dates? Shoot, if we don't have things in common, things to talk about, to learn from each other, etc there is no relationship to have. Most of us meet good looking / hot people everyday that we'd have no interest in dating because there is no connection mentally.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:22 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
Quote:
Most men I know don't really care about a woman's income. I've dated women that make as much as me, and I've dated women that have made considerably less than me. At the end of the day, I still paid their way for most things until we were in a LTR, and even then it was never really equal, so what does it really matter lol. I'm sure this isn't the case with all men, but it's pretty common for most.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Silliness
Reality. Who wants to date a lawyer anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh I complain all right, but I'm not about to require that a girl make $XX/year. Besides, even the girls with jobs want you paying for stuff.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Reality. Who wants to date a lawyer anyway?

I would. I dated a civil rights lawyer. Incredible woman. I've dated several that were lawyers by training but used their law degrees in other fields (tech starts ups, politics, etc).

Quote:
Besides, even the girls with jobs want you paying for stuff.
Hasn't been my experience.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:32 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
Quote:

And this is the gold standard in dating for 90% of men.

I go by both personality and looks, but I will date the hot waitress over the average looking lawyer 9/10 times. I like attractive women, and from my personal experiences, professional women are far more likely to be ball-busters once they get comfortable because they know they don't need you. A woman that doesn't need a man simply has too many options for her own good. This is why so many of these women are single IMO.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Most of us meet good looking / hot people everyday that we'd have no interest in dating because there is no connection mentally.
Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships