Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:05 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,796,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
And if you landed on mine (when I had one), you'd lose. I had 38-53; no height, ethnicity, income, hair, eye, or religion requirement (but made it clear a religious man wouldn't be a good match); no education requirement other than at least graduated high school; preferred thin, average, fit, or athletic for body type. My most stringent "requirement" was that I preferred someone who reads.
And since you don't have one, I couldn't land on it, and therefore, I needn't worry.

Suffice to say, the requirements listed in the OP are quite common.

In fact, unfortunate as it is, there are probably fewer readers out there than there are bald/shaved Hispanic men between 33-39.

Edit: I think the requirements in the OP simply sound super restrictive because they list hard numbers. But really, having "requirements" like those manifest themselves in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
And since you don't have one, I couldn't land on it, and therefore, I needn't worry.

In fact, unfortunate as it is, there are probably fewer readers out there than there are bald/shaved Hispanic men between 33-39.

Edit: I think the requirements in the OP simply sound super restrictive because they list hard numbers. But really, having "requirements" like those manifest themselves in many ways.
That is an interesting way to look at it... the way the OP describes the words used, it sounds really harsh. I wonder, if it had been written like this if anyone would have blinked an eye. It says the same thing as the hard numbers:

"I want to meet a man with a similar background to me who is within a few years of my age. And I find bald men to be the most sexy!!!"

Old 12-11-2014, 12:27 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
Lighten up. No need to be pedantic.

Quote:
Not really, no. When I had A-list on OKC, I checked out the competition. There were some women who were unreasonably picky, but most of them had fairly wide age ranges and didn't make a stink in their essays about requirements like the woman the OP talks about. Maybe it's geographic, or an age thing. The only strident or in-your-face things I saw were the same things I see in men's profiles, "must not use anti-depressants," "must be God-fearing," and so on, and the usual rants, which men also put, too, like "NO BAGGAGE!!!1!"

At any rate, I don't think women tend toward unreasonable requirements any more than men do. People are people. Why some of you men insist on turning every thread into a competition of who has it harder at the opposite gender's hands, I'll never know.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Not really, no. When I had A-list on OKC, I checked out the competition. There were some women who were unreasonably picky, but most of them had fairly wide age ranges and didn't make a stink in their essays about requirements like the woman the OP talks about. Maybe it's geographic, or an age thing. The only strident or in-your-face things I saw were the same things I see in men's profiles, "must not use anti-depressants," "must be God-fearing," and so on, and the usual rants, which men also put, too, like "NO BAGGAGE!!!1!"

At any rate, I don't think women tend toward unreasonable requirements any more than men do. People are people. Why some of you men insist on turning every thread into a competition of who has it harder at the opposite gender's hands, I'll never know.
Nobody said men don't do it too. I simply addressed the OP, who asked about women (if a woman made a thread about men, I'd say the same thing). Nor did I suggest that they were unreasonable. I'm all for requirements. People should definitely save themselves the headache whenever they can.

The catch is when those same people with the requirements complain that they can't find anybody when they've mathematically eliminated everybody before they even got a chance to talk to them. That isn't the case in the OP (there are tons of bald Hispanic men between 33-39 out there), but in many cases, it is.

For what it's worth, I clicked on the first 10 OKC profiles on my front page in a row just to see. 2 were less strict, 3 were roughly AS strict (using the precise science of "I'm approximating"), and 5 were more strict.

Regarding the underlined: I don't see why so many of you women insist on interpreting questions as combatative. The OP's experience is with women's profiles. Yours is with men's. It's not like you're going through women's profiles and getting upset about it...because it doesn't affect you. The OP is a straight male, and women's profiles are what concerns him. I'm sure his goal isn't to upset you so much.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
That is an interesting way to look at it... the way the OP describes the words used, it sounds really harsh. I wonder, if it had been written like this if anyone would have blinked an eye. It says the same thing as the hard numbers:

"I want to meet a man with a similar background to me who is within a few years of my age. And I find bald men to be the most sexy!!!"
Exactly. Except I don't even feel that requirement is particularly harsh; some people just choose to interpret it as such because they take offense that they don't meet the listed criteria. You can see it already in this thread...people get upset when they feel they're excluded.

Your statement in quotes would be WAY more successful than the one in the OP. Bravo

Old 12-11-2014, 12:49 PM

The difference between "must be..." and "I'd love it if..." is more than most people understand.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:59 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
People are people. Why some of you men insist on turning every thread into a competition of who has it harder at the opposite gender's hands, I'll never know.
I just don't see what good it does. If a guy's a 40-year-old virgin or is otherwise romantically unsuccessful, how does obsessing over how easy he perceives dating is for women get him any closer to getting laid?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-11-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm curious. The OP picked one profile from among the thousands online, to puzzle over whether it was typical of all women's profiles. I can't help wondering: why didn't he pick any of the less restrictive, more open-minded ones, and wonder if that was representative of all women's profiles?

Because he wanted to complain and/or stir things up. He couldn't for real believe that all women think the same, could he?

Old 12-11-2014, 01:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,738 times
Who really cares? It's her profile, why would you spend time wondering why? Would you rather spend time getting to know her, and when you send her your picture she either doesn't respond back, or says, sorry not my type? Move on, stop dwelling on the small things that have zero importance towards your success.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:13 PM

103 posts, read 124,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
She is 34. Yeah, I hate how tribal people can be. White (non-Hispanic) women are the biggest offenders in this regard. I am a white, non-Hispanic male by the way.

But the point of the thread is she did specify bald/shaved heads in addition to all of the above. It just comes across as very restrictive. Guys are much more simple, some might say barbaric when it comes to picking a mate: If she is hot, moves us physically, then we are game to see if there is something there....

And if a guy has a type (say blondes) he is usually very willing to try something different if she is attractive. I am pretty sure even David Duke would jump at a chance to be with Beyoncé or Hally Berry.
Actually, white (non-Hispanic) guys under the ages of 35 are even BIGGER offenders of homogeny, regardless of status, finances, etc. They do not budge from their "white only" restrictions unless they've had ZERO success in many years.

So what if she likes shaved head/bald guys? Most chicks prefer guys with hair.

Even if a guy likes blondes and he could possibly be "willing to try something different," that doesn't mean he'd want a relationship with her. He might want to try banging someone outside his type but not consider having something more substantial.

As for trying something different if she's attractive. No, that's NOT true. Guys have a very wide net as to who or what they'd bang, but an extremely narrow range of who they'd have a proper relationship with. Just because a guy bangs some chick outside his range, it does not mean he thinks she's attractive, beautiful, etc, but that she was at least ok enough to bang.

How would you know David Duke would want to jump on Beyonce or Halle Barry? Those 2 are completely different chicks. Halle Berry's mother is white and blonde, which makes her half white. Halle Berry also has more Caucasian features than most mixed women so it makes sense why more white men would find her exceptionally beautiful. Beyonce is an loud, over-bloated, washed out diva. Even her husband can't seem to be faithful to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
Who really cares? It's her profile, why would you spend time wondering why? Would you rather spend time getting to know her, and when you send her your picture she either doesn't respond back, or says, sorry not my type? Move on, stop dwelling on the small things that have zero importance towards your success.
Exactly. People have their own requirements as to what makes them happy, so let them. Move onto people who have a wider range where you'd fit in. The world wasn't created so that life is so much more easier and finding someone compatible is like a stroll in the park. It takes a lot of time, effort, and weeding out. Sometimes the good can get weeded out, but oh well, reality isn't fair.

I use to see a lot of profiles say they're looking for white chicks only and I'd quickly exit. Then, strangely enough, I get those guys with the same profiles excluding me (because I'm not white) message me asking me why I didn't send them a message. I'd say something to the effect of, "You said you're looking for white women and I'm not white. I didn't want to waste anyone's time so I moved on." They would try to talk to me but I wasn't interested so I wouldn't respond. I don't like hypocrites and I especially don't like those who are so unaware that they've said something against me and then expect me to happy that they've taken an interest me. That is really warped. Most of them would get all upset because I rejected them on the very basis of which they could use against me. So, in addition to life being unfair, it is often ironic.

Last edited by hellokittykatt; 12-11-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships