Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:43 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times

Advertisements

The goal of dating is to eliminate all people in the world except the one (that you can find) who is most compatible with you.

That's how many women see it

Many men, OTOH, think the goal is to taste-test as many women as possible. Thst's a very different mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:07 AM

103 posts, read 124,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes. It's not like we are talking about a couple inches here. We are talking about 8" and a below average girl wanting an above average guy (height). Now, maybe the girl likes to wear high heels much of the time, but I don't see too many girls wearing heels taller than 2-3". Call me lazy, but I prefer to just bend down a couple of inches to kiss a girl.

I can understand a blue eyed girl wanting someone with blue eyes, or a girl with a degree wanting someone with a degree, a white girl wanting a white guy, or an athletic girl wanting an athletic guy, but not a short girl wanting a tall guy. We aren't even talking about wanting a taller guy, but a guy taller than 90% of men.. This would be like a girl (or guy) wanting a person making $150K (90th percentile).
No, it doesn't make sense why some shortie wants a giant but does it have to make sense to you or anyone else? I mean, some people just want that, it doesn't mean they'd get what they want, nor does it mean that you should try to rationalize what other people want. Who cares anyway? You cannot control what others want no more than you can control your height or allergies. Envisioning what you want is one thing, but getting what you get is a different story.

I'm 5'3" and my ex is 6'3". He liked short, dark girls, esp. non American and think tall and/or white girls remind him of his sister which grossed him out. He married me- a short, light olive skinned hap who's a loose cannon from Los Angeles (a place he hates with a passion). I always wanted a guy who's similar to my ethnic mixture, about 5'9, kinda muscular, into water activities, and is crazy and adventurous like me. What did I get? A tall, mild-mannered Scottish/English/German dude from San Francisco Bay Area (a place I hate with a passion) with runner's body who didn't care to ever go in water, a super hermit shy who suffered from social anxiety and hates moving around and didn't really care to travel much at all.

Like I said in my first post on this thread, life is not just unfair, it is also ironic.

Last edited by hellokittykatt; 12-12-2014 at 05:16 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 06:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
What did the girl look like?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
The goal of dating is to eliminate all people in the world except the one (that you can find) who is most compatible with you.

Many men, OTOH, think the goal is to taste-test as many women as possible. Thst's a very different mindset.
Pretty much.lol!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Saw a 34 year old woman whose online dating profile stated, "I only go for cute bald/shaved Hispanic guys from age 33 to 39, so if you don't meet this criteria don't waste your time."

No wonder online dating is a waste of time for guys. Most guys also have their likes/dislikes but they are usually guidelines, not hard and fast rules. I think most men are more flexible and open minded in this regard....
So the title of your post asks "do all women set their dating range this narrowly?, and then you state "no wonder online dating is a waste of time for guys".

Clearly it doesn't matter what the truth is, or how people respond, because you have already chosen to believe that all women are exactly like the ONE profile you noticed.

Yeah, it's no wonder some of you guys have problems dating, online or elsewhere.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Saw a 34 year old woman whose online dating profile stated, "I only go for cute bald/shaved Hispanic guys from age 33 to 39, so if you don't meet this criteria don't waste your time."

No wonder online dating is a waste of time for guys. Most guys also have their likes/dislikes but they are usually guidelines, not hard and fast rules. I think most men are more flexible and open minded in this regard....
Yes, this is very true! Must be at least 6'0" even if they're 5'2", Lets not forget that one. Fortunately, I am 6'0", but I see them setting minimum at 6'2" many times. Ridiculous. I agree, I'm much more flexible than I think women are.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:14 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittykatt View Post
No, it doesn't make sense why some shortie wants a giant but does it have to make sense to you or anyone else? I mean, some people just want that, it doesn't mean they'd get what they want, nor does it mean that you should try to rationalize what other people want. Who cares anyway? You cannot control what others want no more than you can control your height or allergies. Envisioning what you want is one thing, but getting what you get is a different story.

I'm 5'3" and my ex is 6'3". He liked short, dark girls, esp. non American and think tall and/or white girls remind him of his sister which grossed him out. He married me- a short, light olive skinned hap who's a loose cannon from Los Angeles (a place he hates with a passion). I always wanted a guy who's similar to my ethnic mixture, about 5'9, kinda muscular, into water activities, and is crazy and adventurous like me. What did I get? A tall, mild-mannered Scottish/English/German dude from San Francisco Bay Area (a place I hate with a passion) with runner's body who didn't care to ever go in water, a super hermit shy who suffered from social anxiety and hates moving around and didn't really care to travel much at all.

Like I said in my first post on this thread, life is not just unfair, it is also ironic.
That is awesome! I have similar tastes as your husband. Ex-wife is 5'2" and very outgoing (though not loud and obnoxious). She's not Hispanic, but I love Hispanic women and wish I could find one. They tend to stay away from Oklahoma City. I need to move to Dallas or back to Atlanta.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
What did the girl look like?
Below average.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

Well, I think this is getting somewhere. Thanks for your perspective.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:06 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Yes. It's not like we are talking about a couple inches here. We are talking about 8" and a below average girl wanting an above average guy (height). Now, maybe the girl likes to wear high heels much of the time, but I don't see too many girls wearing heels taller than 2-3". Call me lazy, but I prefer to just bend down a couple of inches to kiss a girl.

I can understand a blue eyed girl wanting someone with blue eyes, or a girl with a degree wanting someone with a degree, a white girl wanting a white guy, or an athletic girl wanting an athletic guy, but not a short girl wanting a tall guy. We aren't even talking about wanting a taller guy, but a guy taller than 90% of men.. This would be like a girl (or guy) wanting a person making $150K (90th percentile).
You prefer to just bend down a couple of inches to kiss a girl. So you prefer to date someone close to you in height. So some short girl prefers to feel small and protected and prefers to date someone much taller than her. Why is one okay and the other is not? For the record - I don't care how tall someone is. I just think it's funny to say that one height preference is totally understandable while the other is ridiculous. To me, they are both preferences.

Quote:
It depends on race and age as well. The median height for white men is about 5'8.5", but that starts to shrink after age 40 or 50.
When I did a quick google search - it said that the average height for white men in the United States was 5'10".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships