Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Emergency emergency emergency...

In 13 years (and tens of thousands of patient encounters) of practicing emergency medicine, I can promise you that not one person has ever died in any ER or trauma center that I have worked in because someone else didn't answer the phone while they were at dinner.

This emergency thing is a way over played card. No one is saying that you wouldn't want to know right away if a loved one was in some kind of emergency. I have kids. I want to know.
However, what exactly would you even do about that? How would knowing about that 2 or 3 minutes earlier save anyone? How would calling you benefit someone more than having them call 911? And how many times has this scenario even ever played out?

Silly.
Well, I'm not single so I'm not dating - but when I go out with my friends or with my husband, I always keep my phone handy in case the baby sitter needs to get a hold of me. I'm not thinking emergencies here - but I want to be available to her in case she needs to ask me something for any reason. It is a very rare occurrence that one of my sitters has asked me something while I've been out - but it's important to me to be available to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I hope that one day when you're having brain surgery your neurosurgeon won't decide to keep one hand on the middle cerebral artery and meanwhile check his facebook posts with the other hand and see if anyone has put any new kitten memes on there.

There is a time and place for focus. And there is a time and place for loosely interacting and checking in on other things thanks to our wonderful technology. If you don't know the difference, then there was definitely a failure of manners communication to you from your parents and/or other surrounding adults.
Right. Hard to take anyone seriously when they get that ridiculous. Or are you estimating the importance of your company as equivalent to a surgeon performing brain surgery?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You did understand, didn't you, that the woman the OP is talking about was on the phone for over half an hour, not "for a minute"? It sounds like you need to re-read the OP. Your post is off-topic on this thread.
You did understand, didn't you, that I wasn't defending the self-absorbed woman who talked on the phone throughout dinner but rather responding to the insecure zero-tolerance folks viewing an occasional peek at their phone or brief text with their kid to be on par with capital murder.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Right. Hard to take anyone seriously when they get that ridiculous. Or are you estimating the importance of your company as equivalent to a surgeon performing brain surgery?
The analogy is that there is a time and place.

You know rude people will go to any lengths to not admit they are rude, including blaming the people they are rude to for being offended.

I get it. I see how you are.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Well, I'm not single so I'm not dating - but when I go out with my friends or with my husband, I always keep my phone handy in case the baby sitter needs to get a hold of me. I'm not thinking emergencies here - but I want to be available to her in case she needs to ask me something for any reason. It is a very rare occurrence that one of my sitters has asked me something while I've been out - but it's important to me to be available to them.
Nothing unreasonable in this post, either.

There's a difference between being available to someone caring for your child and just randomly checking random texts/social media or chit chatting with a friend, etc.

Besides, pretty much every phone is now programmable to allow important phone calls through while ignoring all the other ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships