Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,270,283 times

Advertisements

He wasn't rude, he was just reacting to rudeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 12:36 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Even if it was an emergency? While I agree with you heavily, emergency calls do happen.
If anyone answers their phone while we are on a first meet and greet, IM GONE

Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,416,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
If anyone answers their phone while we are on a first meet and greet, IM GONE
Get over yourself. Like I said, while I agree with you, emergency calls DO HAPPEN. The whole world doesn't revolve around you and your feelings...

What if the phone call was about a family member of hers going to the hospital due to an accident or something? You'd leave on the spot, and then she'd consider you a d!ck afterwards (and for good reason).

Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,473,569 times
Quote:
Get over yourself. Like I said, while I agree with you, emergency calls DO HAPPEN. The whole world doesn't revolve around you and your feelings...

What if the phone call was about a family member of hers going to the hospital due to an accident or something? You'd leave on the spot, and then she'd consider you a d!ck afterwards (and for good reason).
You can tell by how the person reacts whether or not it's an emergency.
if they keep answering calls in the middle of their time with you or disappearing to take calls all you have to do it be upfront and ask them to put the phone away or the date can't continue. (Aka: what's the point of even being out with you right now)

If there are legitimate reason for calls being made they will indicate it to you if they really care to be out with you.
The purpose of a date is to get to know one another, you can't be doing that when someone is being pulled away and distracted by outside sources.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
You can tell by how the person reacts whether or not it's an emergency.
if they keep disappearing all you have to do it be upfront and ask them to put the phone away or the date can't continue.

If their are legitimate reason for calls being made they will indicate it to you if they really care to be out with you.
I agree, but from the way he's talking about it, even if she answers it once for any reason, then he's gone on the spot.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 AM
FBJ

Quote:

Well if it was reversed I would not know about it because my phone would be off. So I wouldn't find out my family member was in the hospital until I was on my way home from the date

Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM
FBJ

Quote:
I agree, but from the way he's talking about it, even if she answers it once for any reason, then he's gone on the spot.
It's because the person wants to interrupt our date for a phone call and don't even know who it is. Why is that so hard for you to understand how that would be a turn off?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It's because the person wants to interrupt our date for a phone call and don't even know who it is. Why is that so hard for you to understand how that would be a turn off?
Nowadays, there's caller ID, so you know who the call is from.

It isn't hard for me to understand. If a woman answered the phone, and it's clearly not an emergency, then I would agree with you heavily. However, if she claims that it may be an emergency, then I would give her the benefit of the doubt. I would want her too if it possibly happened to me.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,807,938 times
Quote:
Don't most 'phones these days indicate who's calling? All the more reason to quickly answer an "unknown" number in case your house is burning down or one of your nearest and dearest has been rushed to the hospital.

Of COURSE it's rude to get involved in a personal conversation when on a date but with all your rigid unbending "rules" and your propensity for being upset so quickly it's a wonder you even get one date a year even though we know you never get a second with the same person. Why is it so hard for you to understand that you and only you are your own worst enemy? Maybe it happens to you a lot because the date isn't enjoying your company.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,062,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He shouldn't have lied and told her he was going to the bathroom. He just should have gotten up, waved goodbye at her, and turned around to leave. If she stopped her phone convo for a minute to ask where he was going, he should have said, "I can see you're not into this date, so we may as well call it quits instead of wasting each other's time anymore" and left. Blatant honesty can achieve a lot more, sometimes, than subterfuge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep.

Just walking out without a word, and then not taking her call... besides being rude, he did not clearly tell her that what she did was unacceptable.

She was not taught a lesson (as someone here said)... she now has a story about a rude jerk that left her in the restaurant.

And two wrongs do not make a right.
I have to disagree with the bolded. Selfish people won't see the lesson, even when it's presented in front of them. While I think he should have communicated what Ruth4Truth mentioned, I doubt her response would have been different. She'd still think he was the one being the jerk, but that's her loss.

After reading another post from the original poster, I see the friend eventually did explain why he left later on, but I still think doing the right thing based on "trying" to teach a lesson shouldn't matter. It's her problem whether or not she sees her wrongdoing. Just do it to provide closure to move on to someone who's clearly more interested.

In any case, what's done is done. She was certainly rude. The OP's friend is still better of being classy no matter what, or he would be just as immature.

Last edited by LexWest; 01-18-2015 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships