Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,302,348 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even noticed he went to the restroom as she was too busy on the phone with someone, apparently, more important than the guy that was going to feed her and jump fiery hoops to fulfill al rules and expectations that evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,442,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
How was he rude? I would've cut out on her too! And I would've also gave her a few choice words of my own, had she have called me!
I agree. I don't think she deserved any cordiality at all. She forfeited that by rudely ignoring the guy who was willing to focus all his attention on her for the evening instead of whoever was on that phone. I too would have simply excused myself out the door.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:45 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,337,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
I may be in the minority here but I would've gave her a warning. I would've let her know that it's rude to be on the phone. And if she continued, then I would had leave.
I think the whole point of his actions was to not let her know he was leaving or to tell her why, rather to let her wait and wonder after her call and to figure it out on her own.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:56 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,067,034 times
I am finding it hard to believe someone would just sit there for the better part of an hour and through two courses in the first place....

Old 01-14-2015, 01:00 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,438,021 times
She was rude.

He was rude.

I think the point of this story is that the rest of us all know we are better than either of these people, right?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,475,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Maybe he had to go to the bathroom. It was close to an hour and how would she know? She couldn't shut-up long enough to maintain any focus.
So he sat there quietly, then had to poop, then weaseled out?

If he sat there for an hour what a dope. It probably was 5 minutes, people tend to exaggerate.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM

102,380 posts, read 108,679,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Again, I'm going on what I was told verbatim. I wasn't there to see it. But in these days of smartphones, iPhones and the like (and people's propensity to have their phone conversations in public), it's not all that difficult to believe. I have seen people on phones in restaurants.
No one doubts the phone obsession part of the story. I think a couple of people have raised a valid point, namely, that it was odd, and difficult to believe, that a guy would sit through two courses, or one and a half courses, about 30 minutes or so, silently enduring that. I can see that maybe he kept thinking, "Any minute now, she'll hang up", but after 5 or certainly 10 minutes, most people would have said something. Or left at that stage, and cancelled the dinner order.

This is one extremely passive guy, if the story is true as told. That level of passivity isn't normal. That's what some people here are reacting to. But the fact that he didn't have the guts to tell her the date was over is consistent with his extreme passivity during the extremely long phone call.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,199,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
She was super rude, and so was he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Obviously she didn't like him.

If your friend's story is true, they were both rude, but he was more of a loser and a wimp for sneaking out and sticking her with his half of the bill.

All he had to do was ask her politely to hang up, and if she didn't, he could have paid for his meal and left. That would have been the mature thing to do.
Meh, I wouldn't have done what he did, but I certainly don't fault him for doing so, and I wouldn't call him a wimp for what he did. It's a date, and what he did was in the heat of the moment. And why not make her pay for the entire bill, she was acting as if she alone anyways, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, you don't return rudeness with rudeness.
But couldn't getting up and leaving, even if you explain why, in the middle of the date be considered rude(ness)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
She was obviously nervous and the guy took it personal, more of a complete stranger situation. What she was saying, by being on the phone was that she had people around her and he needed to know it. Not worth a whole thread, hardly. Both are insecure, considering he didn't see it and didn't try to assuage her fears in any way.
The OP said she was laughing hysterically about something on the phone, I highly doubt she was nervous. I'm pretty sure her life was not in danger in that restaurant where she needed to stay on the phone like she was walking through an alleyway at 3am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So? He still wussed out and avoided the teachable moment as he left the scene.
From the way the woman in the OP sounds, I highly doubt she would've taken this lesson to heart and change her behavior going forward.

I personally would've had some fun with it, sat there and enjoyed myself and my meal while she was on the phone. And then as soon as she got off the phone, called her phone right there (hoping she would answer) and explain to her how rude it is to be on the phone as she was while on a date with someone. Then I would've gotten up and went to the front to pay for my half of the meal and left.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,202,748 times
I made a promise to myself 10 years ago that if a woman ever answered her phone while we were on a date, I would calmly get up and walk out and not look back

Since the promise it has not happened. And your phone is supposed to be on vibrate on a date or off

Old 01-17-2015, 01:41 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,426,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I made a promise to myself 10 years ago that if a woman ever answered her phone while we were on a date, I would calmly get up and walk out and not look back

Since the promise it has not happened. And your phone is supposed to be on vibrate on a date or off
Even if it was an emergency? While I agree with you heavily, emergency calls do happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships