Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM

102,392 posts, read 108,714,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There are some issues that call for compromise and some that are not negotiable. Locking the doors falls under the latter.
I'd like to see a follow-up post from the OP to see how this whole issue panned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,605,288 times
Good lord, this is a bizarre one.

There has to be more to the story here. No man or woman with even 10% of sense would get upset solely over this. Not even someone who grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone. They might bring it up in a normal conversation to put on the future agenda to get it looked into (and yes you should get the door / door-lock checked out), but they wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

Keeping your door locked is common sense. Invasions (or worse) can happen quickly, just about anywhere. You may be aware of that recent news story about that one guy going on a shooting spree in that small Missouri town - where everyone knew everyone.

Anyway, I think the root cause of your girlfriend's unsettled-ness goes deeper than a door.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM

708 posts, read 827,773 times
If you think this is just about a locked door then you are in for a very rude awakening (no pun intended). I wonder about the rest of the relationship but I will hazard a guess that you have not set sufficient boundaries. To be honest, there are too many red flags.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:57 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,210,747 times
I swear, some people are lucky that I work for a living, have a record clean as a whistle, and generally believe in doing the right thing.

Cuz if I was gangsta id roll through every 'nice' neighborhood where the starry eyed, simple minded folks live with all the nice s**t in their house and id clean out everything of value I could latch my dirty little paws onto. And I'd take ur stuff right out through your unlocked doors you fools! #thuglife

Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,497,761 times
Lock the door and forget to give her a key to get back in

Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,885,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
If you think this is just about a locked door then you are in for a very rude awakening (no pun intended). I wonder about the rest of the relationship but I will hazard a guess that you have not set sufficient boundaries. To be honest, there are too many red flags.
I wonder with some of the stories I read here, why people put up with crazy sh1t. Fixing the lock isn't gonna solve the Op's problems. My guess is, they've only just begun.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:06 PM

346 posts, read 500,037 times
This post made me ----->

A woman, of all people, getting upset you lock your door while sleeping? I really don't care how nice your neighborhood is, that's common sense. Does she live under a rock and never read all the news reports about burglaries and home invasions that were "so shocking" because they "happened in such a nice area"?

She sounds inconsiderate, selfish, and well... stupid.

Not only that, if there were a theft, your insurance company could even give you a hard time if they learn the door was unlocked- I know this is the case for cars, and would imagine it would be the same for your home.

I do wonder if there's more going on here than some silly issue about a locked door and wonder if fixing the lock would really be able to fix that.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,051,014 times
My boyfriend put these stupid things on the bottom of the door to keep drafts out during the winter. They get stuck on the mat or under the door constantly. Put those on your door and she'll be so pissed off that the locking door thing won't be an issue anymore.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 AM

36,883 posts, read 31,162,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
I swear, some people are lucky that I work for a living, have a record clean as a whistle, and generally believe in doing the right thing.

Cuz if I was gangsta id roll through every 'nice' neighborhood where the starry eyed, simple minded folks live with all the nice s**t in their house and id clean out everything of value I could latch my dirty little paws onto. And I'd take ur stuff right out through your unlocked doors you fools! #thuglife
Well if you were and if you did you would just bust out the window or bust the door jam to get in if the door was locked. Lock doors keep out honest people.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 7,207 times
Ummm...definitely keep locking the door. That's a strange thing for her to be upset about, in my opinion. Why would you want to sacrifice your safety (bad part of town or not) just to not have to mess with a key for less than a minute? Everybody has to sacrifice, and I'm sure she'll get over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships