Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 AM

53 posts, read 62,760 times

Advertisements

I have a bit of an odd issue that I don't think should be one. My gf and I have been together for 10 months and been living together for 2 months. We got an apt together and I work days (I get home around 9 PM, her around 5 AM) and I have always been a stickler for always keeping door locked, she however sees it as an inconvenience and gets upset that when she gets back she can't just walk in; she has to use her key. Granted not sure if it's the key or the door handle but it is kinda hard to use. You have to fidgit a bit but when she leaves she never locks the door so when I get home I lock it.

Several times now I have woken up to her banging on the door and she'll complain that I locked it. Course I am woken up. She thinks I should just leave it unlocked but I told her it only takes about 30 seconds to use her key but she doesn't think she should. I personally think it's just a safety issue, we don't live in a bad part of town but I think when someone leaves they should always lock the door behind them. When I bring it up she just says something like "you're being paranoid, we live in a safe area". But to me it's the principal, I know if I am not there and she leaves she'll just leave the door unlocked letting anyone just stroll right in.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:12 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,454,024 times
Keep locking the door. I live in a safe area too, but even if I'm home and in the back yard, the front door is locked. I'm not going to get cleaned out like a fool while I'm picking up dog ****.

The front screen door is locked no matter what time of day it is. I dunno, I feel the same as you do.

I would however bring her key in for a grinding, there may be a burr on it. Or just have a new key cut. Cheap enough.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,474,741 times
She has her key, but she wakes you up to open the door? Oh, no. You should lock the door, especially if you're going to be asleep/in the shower/otherwise indisposed. I'm surprised, as a woman, that she's so cavalier about it. Usually that's the first thing our parents drill into our heads when we go out on our own.

Quote:
I would however bring her key in for a grinding, there may be a burr on it. Or just have a new key cut. Cheap enough.
Or treat the lock with graphite lubricant. That usually helps if the key sticks.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,377,447 times
You're right, it shouldn't be an issue. My suggestion, is to have maintenance take a look at the lock and keys.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 AM

53 posts, read 62,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
She has her key, but she wakes you up to open the door? Oh, no. You should lock the door, especially if you're going to be asleep/in the shower/otherwise indisposed. I'm surprised, as a woman, that she's so cavalier about it. Usually that's the first thing our parents drill into our heads when we go out on our own.

Or treat the lock with graphite lubricant. That usually helps if the key sticks.
Yeah I would think the same. In retrospect when I first dated her before we got our own place I did notice when I'd visit her at her apartment when I'd knock on the door I would never hear the door unlock or anything.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,363,730 times
Good for you being the way you are. You are being protective for her safety as well as your own. This is not the '60's where it was fairly common to leave your doors unlocked. My mom used to leave her door unlocked all the time, and up until about a year ago, after several neighbors had robberies, she started locking them. All of these people she knew (she lives in a small town) and all had left their doors unlocked. Fortunately, no one was harmed. Some folks are not as lucky and why not be safe rather than possibly sorry?
And it doesn't matter what neighborhood you live in either. I don't feel that one is truly "safe" anywhere.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times
Get her a key that works (or replace the door knob/lock if that's the issue), and keep locking the door. The police department is literally at the foot of my driveway, and I still lock the door.

Really, though, if she is coming home alone at 5 am from work, it's a safety hazard for her NOT to have a means of quickly getting in the house/apt. I can't imagine having to take the time to fiddle and jiggle a sticky key or messed up lock and hoping it works if I was alone in the dark and needed to get in fast. Get that door seen to.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
This is about much more than locking the door.

Why would you want someone stupid enough to think leaving the door unlocked all day, with no one home, is thinking normal about other things?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 AM

50,478 posts, read 47,229,720 times
Once you get cleaned out she'll change her mind. Just ask her if she has anything she can't replace.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
I would get her a key to her own place and get her out of my place but I also would not have moved in with someone I had been dating for 8 months either.

Tend to her key and get it working properly then tell her that she is going to have to lock the doors.

Is she going to be financially responsible when your things get stolen as well as hers?
Is she going to pay for everything to be replaced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships