Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:00 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Good for you being the way you are. You are being protective for her safety as well as your own. This is not the '60's where it was fairly common to leave your doors unlocked. My mom used to leave her door unlocked all the time, and up until about a year ago, after several neighbors had robberies, she started locking them. All of these people she knew (she lives in a small town) and all had left their doors unlocked. Fortunately, no one was harmed. Some folks are not as lucky and why not be safe rather than possibly sorry?
And it doesn't matter what neighborhood you live in either. I don't feel that one is truly "safe" anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
I live in a very safe neighborhood and have always locked my doors. One of my neighbors never locked her back door. This summer, someone went into her house & took money & jewelry. This happened between 3 & 4 PM and she even has a dog!

Listen to the other folks about the key and if she's too lazy to unlock the door then you can decide what to do. Just make sure you have Renters Insurance.
We've had our car stolen from our "security" garage in the middle of the day. Someone broke into our neighbor's unit two doors down in our "security" building in the middle of the day. (I was home at the time.)

A friend of the family was saying how her mom always left the door unlocked, even while she made a quick trip to the store. When we remarked on it, she said something like, "Oh, she's known the neighbors for years. She trusts them." It wasn't the neighbors we were worried about, lol.

Regarding the "nice neighborhood" aspect, isn't all the good stuff to steal in the nice neighborhoods? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 04:41 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Make sure nobody can get in through the 'doggie door'.....

Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Make sure nobody can get in through the 'doggie door'.....
OMG that movie Fear with Marky Mark!!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
I have a bit of an odd issue that I don't think should be one. My gf and I have been together for 10 months and been living together for 2 months. We got an apt together and I work days (I get home around 9 PM, her around 5 AM) and I have always been a stickler for always keeping door locked, she however sees it as an inconvenience and gets upset that when she gets back she can't just walk in; she has to use her key. Granted not sure if it's the key or the door handle but it is kinda hard to use. You have to fidgit a bit but when she leaves she never locks the door so when I get home I lock it.

Several times now I have woken up to her banging on the door and she'll complain that I locked it. Course I am woken up. She thinks I should just leave it unlocked but I told her it only takes about 30 seconds to use her key but she doesn't think she should. I personally think it's just a safety issue, we don't live in a bad part of town but I think when someone leaves they should always lock the door behind them. When I bring it up she just says something like "you're being paranoid, we live in a safe area". But to me it's the principal, I know if I am not there and she leaves she'll just leave the door unlocked letting anyone just stroll right in.

Thoughts?
Idk how much you trust her...but she could be setting you up to be robbed.
If she successfully convinced you to leave it unlocked & you're supposedly sleeping-
she could in theory have an accomplice get in & get out, easliy.

Trust no one.
I wonder how ya met her

Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I will tell you...I would dump her dumb, irresponsible, lazy butt for that alone.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I had one burglary happen to me in my lifetime. Guess where it happened? One of the most expensive neighborhoods in SE Virginia.

Anyone who does NOT lock their doors is foolish. I don't care if you live in the Hamptons or Hampton, VA.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 PM

513 posts, read 429,218 times
Uh, does she want some strange person to walk in on her and do whatever? Keep locking that door! I wish you could change the locks without her knowing, invest in ear plugs, and sleep like a baby while she's banging outside!

Or, or get some friends together and plot a robbery prank against your girlfriend while she's at home. Have your friends dress in all black to "rob" your place and her cell phone and computer while she's at home alone. Then, act like you're all shocked and stuff.

Or, or, or get one of your friends to dress up in a long trench coat and hat, sitting in the corner of the bed room, having him talking about some, "Mmmm, I was waiting for you to wake up," in a creepy voice, once she finally wakes up.

Actually, if she's going to freak out over the door being locked, she might just break up with you if you tried either of these pranks. But at least they're some funny thoughts to get you through the day

Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I will tell you...I would dump her dumb, irresponsible, lazy butt for that alone.
I tend to agree, her 'tude isn't a good sign for future domestic harmony.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
This was in today's local news.

Anoka Co. burglar hits unlocked houses, goes back for more

Quote:
[the] man has been furiously exploiting unlocked houses in his city and burglarizing them, authorities said. Sometimes he’d find that the residents didn’t learn their lesson, police noted, and would return and find the houses still unlocked and ripe for thievery.
and

Quote:
Some of the crimes occurred while residents were at home...All of the burglaries occurred at houses where doors were unlocked, often garage service doors or sliding doors leading directly into the houses.
Quote:
“It is so important that people lock their doors,” said police Capt. Jon Urquhart. “It only takes a few moments, and it can keep people from becoming an easy target for this type of crime. Lock before you leave or go to sleep; I can’t stress it enough.”
Get a better lock on your door.

If she still refuses to lock it, get rid of her. She is not respecting your basic safety (or her basic safety).

Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
She expects you to leave the door unlocked through the night while you're in bed asleep? Or while no one is at home? I don't care how good of an area it is, there's no place in the world that's 100% crime free and leaving the door unlocked when you're vulnerable (such as when asleep or not home) is just plain stupid. You live in an apartment so your neighbors must be close by and might have heard her knocking and yelling at you for locking the door. All it takes is one of them realizing that she leaves it unlocked 24/7 and either testing the door themselves or telling a friend about it who then begins to target your place as an easy mark. Lots of break ins are done by someone who knows the victim because it's not always completely random - they look for easy marks and all it takes is the right person finding out that she leaves the door unlocked to make you an easy target. Maybe you should collect some data on break ins around the area to show her it does happen, even if it's less frequent than other areas.

Don't even get me started on her waking you up at 5am when she has a key. She's doing that to get back at you for locking the door and that's just immature and spiteful. It's time to have a serious talk with her about being a mature, responsible adult which includes things like locking the door and not doing things purely out of spite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships