Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:57 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandaisy View Post
Well what can I realistically do about it? Besides seeing a therapist. I don't think I need a therapist. Do you have any suggestions?
See a therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 02:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,266,041 times
He doesn't owe you a thing, he didn't rape you did he?

Move on.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:51 PM

165 posts, read 160,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
See a therapist.
No thanks lol. I'm sure I'll be ok

Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times
Quote:
No thanks lol. I'm sure I'll be ok
...said the person who said this:

Quote:
Me? Besides no self respect and being weak?

...when it comes to men and relationships I kind of have no backbone and let people walk on me, especially after I've developed feelings.
and this:

Quote:
Well, we had sex more than once but yes Ive only met him once... I feel like closing off from every guy, I don't want to let people in right now.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:51 PM

165 posts, read 160,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
...said the person who said this:

and this:
I don't see how that equates to, "you need therapy!"

I've never had mental or emotional problems in my entire life. I want to close off from people because I'm still hurt. It will fade with time.

All I can really do is not be such a pushover in my next relationship. I'm going to wait until I meet the next guy in real life so maybe he won't be a lunatic, or I'll be able to pick up on it quicker.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:10 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,780,934 times
Quote:
I don't see how that equates to, "you need therapy!"

I've never had mental or emotional problems in my entire life. I want to close off from people because I'm still hurt. It will fade with time.

All I can really do is not be such a pushover in my next relationship. I'm going to wait until I meet the next guy in real life so maybe he won't be a lunatic, or I'll be able to pick up on it quicker.
OP:

You should figure out why you are a pushover and take steps to prevent that from happening.

As for wanting to close off from people... talk to someone you trust about this.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,420,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
She seems to have made some progress in dealing with this and she's trying to get out of this gracefully. Why not let her?
She is the only one stopping herself from learning all of the life lessons she could learn from this.
I have no control over what she does but "gracefully" was never part of this thread, starting with the original post.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 AM

37,166 posts, read 42,353,577 times
It was one life experience with a guy you already know isn't good for you. You are going to rack up all sorts of life experiences so why not see it as a positive rather than beating it to death? You will never have any good memories if you can't get yourself under control. He's far away, not bothering you, go do something else and make more memories.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 AM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times
Quote:
Okay, thanks for telling me I have no common sense, that's nice and helpful.

I had a really big, beautiful, "never been heartbroken in her life yet" heart. Anything was possible, and yeah I guess my "fantasy" of him was what I had been searching for in my real life and never found. Lesson learned.
What CDS said could have been put more diplomatically, but it was nonetheless true.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 AM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times
Quote:
This is a great post, I love analyzing personalities. This brings everything full circle to me, and I'm seeing things clearly now that I'm not so upset.

Yup, he has an absolutely terrible relationship with his father. I'm pretty sure in his words "he never really cared." He was one of those dads who was physically there, but was of no emotional support or guidance.

He distances himself from his mother because she's too "invasive." He barely knows his younger sister. He only spoke fondly of his eldest sister. Actually when he visited me he didn't even tell his family.

Red flags. Red flags.
Yep. Glad you're waking up to this stuff. There's a saying "Women marry men hoping they'll change and men marry women hoping they won't". You don't want to be one of those women who ends up with "fixer upper" guys. And be more careful about going to bed with them, too. Just the thought of you being pregnant by a jerk like him freaks me out (and hopefully it freaks you out, too)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships