Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 AM

76 posts, read 125,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
OLD is just terrible in general for a man. Sites like Plenty of Fish have really low quality women and then there is less of them anyway. So a woman that is a 5 thinks she deserves an 8 just because she sees so many available men. The unrealistic expectations are off the chart. I'm an in shape guy that would like a woman that is in shape and wants to stay in shape together. I'm not getting why it's so hard to find and it's not an unrealistic expectation. I would be better off just hitting on women at the gym.

AMEN!!!

Someone who gets it!!

Yup POF will ruin your self-esteem as a guy. The sad part is half the women on pof I wouldn't even give a 2nd glance IRL nor approach.

Wanderlust OLD has made it easy for people to be delusional think about it

If you're a woman who is a 3 on the looks scale and IRL no man approaches you but online this same women is bombarded by tons of men

My Fake Fat Girl POF Acc - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Truly sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I met my current love interest on Tinder. My expectations were pretty low which helped. I think some people think they'll sign up for a dating website or a dating app and poof - the love of their life will magically appear. Yes, it's easier for people to flake when you meet them online, but that's just part of it. It takes a thick skin to online date and not take the flaking or rejection personally and believe it or not, as a woman I've been flaked on and rejected too. That isn't exclusive to guys.

There are a lot of things that suck about modern dating, but was it really so much easier 20 years ago? I don't know. I think sometimes people have TOO many choices that they pass over really great people always looking for some perfect person who doesn't actually exist. On the other hand, my current guy is the most wonderful person I've ever dated and if it wasn't for the internet we would never have met. Online dating has put me into contact with a lot of interesting people I would never have met otherwise.
20 years ago women/men didn't have the option to hook up with someone by just browsing some profiles from the comforts of their home.

They actually had to go out and meet people!!!!

It's truly sad what's going on, you have people going out to bars and instead of socializing they are glued on their phones swiping right or left

Old 03-17-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
you beat me to it, welcome to the real world. I think it reasonable to conclude from your college dating experience that you went to a typical college (not an engineering or military college), where women out number men 3 to 2, and the women tend to date only other college students. LOL that you thought this abundance would last. Now you are competing for women in an environment where there are more men than wonen in your age range, and older men are also pursuing the same women you are. It isnt Tinder or social media, this the way it has been for the past 35 years, it is just easier to quantify now.
But most women my age (25) use Tinder to meet men if they can't meet them in a social circle setting. Heck I know girls who are on Tinder in relationships hoping to maybe snag something better it's truly depressing

Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,276 times
In my experience, OLD is no different than dating someone you'd meet offline. You can have failures and successes in both mediums, because there is a cross section of all different types of people in both mediums. I think OLD just allows you to come across a much larger number of people you probably wouldn't come across in your day to day life. I can exchange messages with 5-6 men in a given day using OLD. I'm not approached by 5-6 men every day offline. The sheer volume leads of course to the potential for more failure than success if you are particular about what you're looking for. But it doesn't have to be a bad experience. Just like with offline dating, it's what you make of it. ��

Old 03-17-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I've never used Tinder it's pretty new in the world of OLD really but I admit I'm curious about it. It certainly can't be any worse than Plenty of Flakes, which is my vote for the all time worst dating site for a man.
Unless you're 6'2, ripped and look like Brad Pitt don't bother with Tinder. The top 15% of the guys get 80% of the women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
In my experience, OLD is no different than dating someone you'd meet offline. You can have failures and successes in both mediums, because there is a cross section of all different types of people in both mediums. I think OLD just allows you to come across a much larger number of people you probably wouldn't come across in your day to day life. I can exchange messages with 5-6 men in a given day using OLD. I'm not approached by 5-6 men every day offline. The sheer volume leads of course to the potential for more failure than success if you are particular about what you're looking for. But it doesn't have to be a bad experience. Just like with offline dating, it's what you make of it. ��
Disagree, IRL I have no problem chatting up an attractive girl getting her number etc.

There tangibles that you have in real life that can't compare.

It takes big balls to approach a random girl(s) in real life. Some people may think it's not a big deal but how many guys do you really see approaching on a daily basis? I'm not talking about just bars/nightclubs

I have a buddy whose good looking guy (think Chris O'donell) whose petrified to approach women in real life so he has resorted to online dating and banging women who are "easy pickings" . I always tell him he would do waaaaaaaaaaay better in person.

I have another buddy whose 5'5, 130pounds. Online he's looking to get a 4. But IRL he's a beast and gets gorgeous women.

why?

Online his height alone disqualifies him instantly with 80% of women IRL.

But in person is personality/his demeanor and his candor are so infectious he makes women swoon effortlessly!

I wish things would go back too when women would wanna meet men in real life instead of hiding behind a computer screen

Old 03-17-2015, 12:30 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
Unless you're 6'2, ripped and look like Brad Pitt don't bother with Tinder. The top 15% of the guys get 80% of the women.

Disagree, IRL I have no problem chatting up an attractive girl getting her number etc.

It takes big balls to approach a random girl(s) in real life. Some people may think it's not a big deal but how many guys do you really see approaching on a daily basis? I'm not talking about just bars/nightclubs

I have a buddy whose good looking guy (think Chris O'donell) whose petrified to approach women in real life so he has resorted to online dating and banging women who are "easy pickings" . I always tell him he would do waaaaaaaaaaay better in person.

I have another buddy whose 5'5, 130pounds. Online he's looking to get a 4. But IRL he's a beast and gets gorgeous women.

why?

But in person is personality/his demeanor and his candor are so infectious he makes women swoon effortlessly!

I wish things would go back too when women would wanna meet men in real life instead of hiding behind a computer screen
You are starting to sound a bit whiny. I have friends who met their significant others online and the guys are average looking. This means that some guys who don't look like models do manage to have success online. But if you do so much better in real life, stick with that.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,974 times
Quote:

why?

You are so dramatic.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
AMEN!!!

Someone who gets it!!

Yup POF will ruin your self-esteem as a guy. The sad part is half the women on pof I wouldn't even give a 2nd glance IRL nor approach.

Wanderlust OLD has made it easy for people to be delusional think about it

If you're a woman who is a 3 on the looks scale and IRL no man approaches you but online this same women is bombarded by tons of men

My Fake Fat Girl POF Acc - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Truly sad
That experiment proves nothing, except that some sleazes are willing to take advantage of a fat girl for sex. They assume she's desperate and will do anything. That's gross.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:

What makes you think women have abandoned IRL dating? As some of our own members (male and female) will attest, they haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybentherars;
have a buddy whose good looking guy (think Chris O'donell) whose petrified to approach women in real life so he has resorted to online dating and banging women who are "easy pickings" . I always tell him he would do waaaaaaaaaaay better in person.
That's his problem. He needs to get over that. Approaching women IRL doesn't have to be a big deal. He should practice chatting women up without any goal; not to get a date, but just to be friendly. If he doesn't have the pressure to ask for a number, the fear factor should vanish. Once he gets good at just passing the time in casual chat, then he can up the ante. He'll still strike out some of the time, but not all the time. He shouldn't think of it as putting his ego on the line. He should think about it as just being neighborly, and enjoying a chat with an attractive woman.

OP, you're not a car salesman, are you?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:51 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
You are starting to sound a bit whiny. I have friends who met their significant others online and the guys are average looking. This means that some guys who don't look like models do manage to have success online. But if you do so much better in real life, stick with that.
It boils down to this ^^. Tinder is irrelevant to IRL dating. Which, I can assure you, OP, isn't dead. It's alive, well, and kicking. If you don't like Tinder, don't use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993;
Way too sensible a post for C-D! From some of the complaints here it sounds like dudes are miffed because the plain or fat women they normally ignore IRL have the audacity to think they might find a match on OLD. IRL it's easier to screen them out of your attention span. On OLD, they may be harder for some dudes to gloss over and ignore. These seem like dudes with a short fuse, for whatever reason. It's a pretty minor, petty thing to get worked up about, imo. Let people lead their lives, you do your thing. I'm not seeing why this is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships