Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 AM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It is pretty much what I've done. Well, taking care of some retirement things. Paperwork things.
Yeah, I've got my 401k's from both companies managed by the same company, luckily, funny how it worked out that way, but I keep getting emails from them telling me to take a look at reevaluating some of the funds from the first company... etc etc. I keep putting it on the backburner, but I need to spend some time dealing with that headache.

That crap has been on my todo list for so long it's almost invisible, if that makes any sense.

I sent out a slew of resumes yesterday, looking to hear back on a few from last week, I don't know how to play this game, if I should get aggressive with follow up calls and or emails or what. I figure this time of the year is probably gonna be a bit rough, I know after next week, forget about it, the week of Christmas along with the week after is deadsville as most companies are pretty much half staffed.

The recruiter guy I'm working with he's telling me that he's noticed a slow down in people calling back. Just in general, nothing that deals with the stuff around me.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
I am setting my retirement goal to be 95% of my income. I should pony up more and shoot for 105% of my income. I want to travel, I want hobbies and I want to enjoy life. The last five has shown me I am no good at sitting around.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:56 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Unbelievable day!!!!

Today I get a phone call from my mum at 8.20am saying my dad had collapsed at work with a suspected stroke, now naturally I've panicked and rang my old man but a paramedic answered and told me what had happened.

I've finally got to the hospital ( obviously in bits ) and thank the Lord all it was and infection at the back of the ear/head that made him disoriented and slur his words which in turn made it appear to be a stroke. As glad as I am it's not anywhere near as bad as a stroke i can't help but think what if.....

My old mans never been in hospital before and the short cab ride to the hospital was the longest journey of my life.It just makes me think he was fine last night and well you can probably guess my initial thoughts this morning.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Unbelievable day!!!!

Today I get a phone call from my mum at 8.20am saying my dad had collapsed at work with a suspected stroke, now naturally I've panicked and rang my old man but a paramedic answered and told me what had happened.

I've finally got to the hospital ( obviously in bits ) and thank the Lord all it was and infection at the back of the ear/head that made him disoriented and slur his words which in turn made it appear to be a stroke. As glad as I am it's not anywhere near as bad as a stroke i can't help but think what if.....

My old mans never been in hospital before and the short cab ride to the hospital was the longest journey of my life.It just makes me think he was fine last night and well you can probably guess my initial thoughts this morning.
That is no fun.

Last summer my dad wasn't well. One evening after getting out of hospital he fell in the tub. Another mad dash to tend to him.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
That is no fun.

Last summer my dad wasn't well. One evening after getting out of hospital he fell in the tub. Another mad dash to tend to him.
It's not mate it's the thinking " what if " that does it.

As glad as I am he should be ok it's my birthday tomorrow and could help but think " please not on my birthday ".

My mums in a bit of shock still so have to put my feelings aside so I'm there for her

Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
It's not mate it's the thinking " what if " that does it.

As glad as I am he should be ok it's my birthday tomorrow and could help but think " please not on my birthday ".

My mums in a bit of shock still so have to put my feelings aside so I'm there for her
It is part to being an adult. I guess caring for the parents comes with the territory.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It is part to being an adult. I guess caring for the parents comes with the territory.
It does ( 31 tmrw not 18 LOL ) but my mums been seriously ill before but never the old man.

But your right it's part and parcel of growing up mate I lost an aunt few months ago.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Do he have to stay in hospital for long, or can he come home soon?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Unbelievable day!!!!

Glad things weren't that bad, and yeah, the what if starts going through your head. Mrs. Chow's dad was 91 when he died and I got to say, every time the phone rang past 8 or 9 at night we'd sort jump, we just don't get many calls in the evening, so you have a tendency to sort of subconsciously start to expect bad news as parents get older.

Quote:
Yeah, it sucks, but gravity wins at some point, we all get older. I know I have a much differing views of life and death now at 46 than I did at 26. It's just how things go, I wished I knew then what I know now, famous words, but true.

Your views and understanding of how shyt works changes a lot from the 20's to 40's... possibly more than any other time, but I guess we'll know for sure as we get older if that's true.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Do he have to stay in hospital for long, or can he come home soon?
He's coming home in the morning cheers ms M, I think more for safe keeping but again it's the shock of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships