Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Weddings aren't just about social status, for many they prefer to share the day with family and friends.
Our wedding was awesome! It was 50 of our closest friends and family, and we all danced through the whole reception and had a wonderful time! It was one of the best days of our lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Guys, The engagement/wedding ring is something invented/practiced by men to mark THEIR property, stop putting it on women. No one forces you to go out an buy an engagement ring, no one forces you to spend 10k on a wedding band or thousands on a wedding. These are old traditions started by MEN.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,727,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
How many folks do we know that divorced because it was the "In" thing to do?

Many.

Too many.
That is unfortunate. I couldn't say that about any of the divorced people I know, at least the ones who would confide such a thing. I wouldn't assume that about any of them.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 AM

65 posts, read 43,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Have we really established that it is the "rule" that women demand extravagant tokens which exceed what is reasonably affordable most of the time? Or are we stereotyping for the sake of convenience?
I'll go with stereotyping based on reality.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I once had some old fat hag at Helzeberg diamonds try to subtly make me feel guilty/cheap for not spending more than 1k on an anniversary ring...she showed me this HUGE rock on her snagly nicotine stained finger and said "my man spent 12k on this for our 20th"...I looked at her and asked if she looked any better 40 years ago when she got that ring...she was not pleased...b**ch please

luckily my wife doesn't care about price tag...she is perfectly happy with small inexpensive jewelry and I don't even buy that often, its a complete and utter waste of money

10k on a wedding ring...really...that could have turned your honeymoon into something awesome...or gotten you a better mortgage payment on that house...

I spent 2k on my wifes wedding ring and $400 on my band...she would have been happy with a 1k ring but I set the dough aside and got her a nicer one (better band)...
Well why were you buying her an anniversary ring for 1K?
Why did you spend 2K on a wedding band?
Because women demand tokens, please.

And psst, its the fat hags job to sell, sell, sell. She probably works on commission. Its not personal and its not a conspiracy.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
marriage is now a dead end for men, pass it on... men give way more than they get, and even after it ends, and we can get the same benefits without the legal institution of marriage that contractually binds men more than women. so sad how men are being f*cked over these days by this disney fantasy. just google it if you don't believe me.

you will never convince women otherwise cuz it's in their self interest to keep men marriage minded

Please back up or elaborate on your statements preferably with something that resembles facts.

"marriage is now a dead end for men" how so. What is a dead end, divorce? as opposed to until death. Has divorce not always been a legal end for marriage? How is it now as opposed to in the past a dead end for men? why not for women?

"men give way more than they get" what do men give away when they get married? What do they get?

"we can get the same benefits without the legal institution of marriage that contractually binds men more than women." again what are the benefits you get? If this is so why do you get married? And how does a marriage bind men more than women?

And last, what exactly do I google?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:51 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,994,721 times
What strikes me from this thread is how marriage is bad for men because it is assumed that the marriage will end. Many marriages remain in tact and, believe it or not, both people are happy. I don't see how anyone is screwed in that situation. In fact, when I think about the marriages that I observe on a regular basis, in most cases the men have it pretty great. I don't know a single stay at home parent or spouse. In every case both people work. Yet, in most cases the woman handles much more of the work required to keep a household functioning on a daily basis. This is even more pronounced in the older couples I know (people my parents' age).

Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
What strikes me from this thread is how marriage is bad for men because it is assumed that the marriage will end. Many marriages remain in tact and, believe it or not, both people are happy. I don't see how anyone is screwed in that situation. In fact, when I think about the marriages that I observe on a regular basis, in most cases the men have it pretty great. I don't know a single stay at home parent or spouse. In every case both people work. Yet, in most cases the woman handles much more of the work required to keep a household functioning on a daily basis. This is even more pronounced in the older couples I know (people my parents' age).

Even if the marriage does end how is it worse for men unless like the examples giving in the OP article the man has already earned millions of dollars, marries a trophy bride who gets a big settlement after a few years of marriage. Even is the case discussed Mr. Miller said the 5 million pounds his ex was awarded was nothing.

For the average American a couple marries when they are starting careers, both work and build assets together contributing to the household and family. If the marriage ends in divorce BOTH lose. They both take a hit financially and emotionally and basically start over at a lower income level that takes years to build back up, if ever.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:18 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,994,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
For the average American a couple marries when they are starting careers, both work and build assets together contributing to the household and family. If the marriage ends in divorce BOTH lose. They both take a hit financially and emotionally and basically start over at a lower income level that takes years to build back up, if ever.
Exactly. And, if a man is so worried about being fleeced financially, why not marry a woman who makes about the same amount of money? If my husband and I were to divorce it would hurt both of us financially. Neither of us could afford as nice of a home on our own. We'd both end up living in a less nice house and have less disposable income.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,850,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I once had some old fat hag at Helzeberg diamonds try to subtly make me feel guilty/cheap for not spending more than 1k on an anniversary ring...she showed me this HUGE rock on her snagly nicotine stained finger and said "my man spent 12k on this for our 20th"...I looked at her and asked if she looked any better 40 years ago when she got that ring...she was not pleased...b**ch please

luckily my wife doesn't care about price tag...she is perfectly happy with small inexpensive jewelry and I don't even buy that often, its a complete and utter waste of money

10k on a wedding ring...really...that could have turned your honeymoon into something awesome...or gotten you a better mortgage payment on that house...

I spent 2k on my wifes wedding ring and $400 on my band...she would have been happy with a 1k ring but I set the dough aside and got her a nicer one (better band)...
You are such a kind, genteel, well-mannered individual.

Seriously, you're proud of asking the saleswoman that incredibly rude question?

Freaking unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships