Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:36 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,873,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
However, the concept of women having power is just an illusion. You see, men can use money to buy sex and companionship. It may not be ideal but it's something. The kind of relationships women want are not for sale. Women must invest much more time and effort to get what they want whereas men can just buy it a la carte. The feminist movement in the guise of liberating women has made sex a commodity and it is suiting men just fine! LOL!
News flash: sex has always been a commodity, since the dawn of time. They don't call it "the world's oldest profession" for nothing. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:39 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,114,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I'm sorry that you are living your life as a martyr. That's sad but not uncommon. I don't know if people who do that are noble or weak. I can't decide. I wasn't able to do it myself, and I got a lot of flack and judgment when I divorced the father of my children. My kids are happy and healthy adults now and they are thriving, so I don't beat myself up about it (anymore).

As for the bolded, I think women are equally, if not more so, "trained" to be their husband's assistant. I experienced that feeling in my first marriage, so I know what you mean. In my current marriage, we are true partners. It's a completely different experience and we work/live/play together well.

I enjoy sharing a household and paying bills with my husband and there's still plenty of passion. It's only been seven years, so that's not a long time in the scheme of things, I know. But we've been through a lot and it hasn't all been roses. Still, our passion and love for each other grows deeper and more solid every day.
It appears that you took all of the lessons from your first marriage and incorporated them into your present one.

Smart.

I find humor in the idea that life imitates art. I'm thinking about that classic movie "The Seven Year Itch." I'm not sure about everyone else, but our marriage had a huge turning point at the seven year mark. I like to think that if a marriage can work for seven years, it can work for seventy.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,860,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I'm sorry that you are living your life as a martyr. That's sad but not uncommon. I don't know if people who do that are noble or weak. I can't decide. I wasn't able to do it myself, and I got a lot of flack and judgment when I divorced the father of my children. My kids are happy and healthy adults now and they are thriving, so I don't beat myself up about it (anymore).

As for the bolded, I think women are equally, if not more so, "trained" to be their husband's assistant. I experienced that feeling in my first marriage, so I know what you mean. In my current marriage, we are true partners. It's a completely different experience and we work/live/play together well.

I enjoy sharing a household and paying bills with my husband and there's still plenty of passion. It's only been seven years, so that's not a long time in the scheme of things, I know. But we've been through a lot and it hasn't all been roses. Still, our passion and love for each other grows deeper and more solid every day.
Good post, Butterfly. I agree with what you say about women being more trained to be their husband's assistants. I wasn't my husband's partner, because he didn't want a partner. I was his employee, there to ensure his life ran as smoothly as possible, but to never question his authority or seniority.

I'm so glad to hear about your happiness with your second husband. Maybe, just maybe, I can find that kind of happy partnership with someone, too!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:53 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,836,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Good post, Butterfly. I agree with what you say about women being more trained to be their husband's assistants. I wasn't my husband's partner, because he didn't want a partner. I was his employee there to ensure his life ran as smoothly as possible, but to never question his authority or seniority.

I'm so glad to hear about your happiness with your second husband. Maybe, just maybe, I can find that kind of happy partnership with someone, too!
I hope that you do, newdixiegirl. I was going to say that every woman should be loved but actually I think its true for us all. I wish every man and woman who seek it, find love that is deep and true.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:17 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that kind of makes me sad for you, D. If you don't love yourself, who will?
Wait a minute. I don't have none of that self-love issue . I'm just saying I doubt that I'm capable of true love and also blunt, cold people like me have hard times in relationships.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Wait a minute. I don't have none of that self-love issue . I'm just saying I doubt that I'm capable of true love and also blunt, cold people like me have hard times in relationships.
Sort out your issues and take it from there.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:22 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well.......maybe you come across differently in person than you do here. But you seem guarded, at best. Not the warm and cuddly type, or the bubbly or outgoing type. (Or not that we've had the opp'ty to see.) And if someone got to know you, they might bump up against that anger that's below the surface. I think you could be the greatest thing since sliced bread for someone. But the prickliness needs to soften up.

Well, of course none of that is secret. I'm very guarded, not or ever been warm and cuddly (I almost vomited just typing that), and I find bubbly and outgoing people super annoying. I'm working on the anger issues. But please believe the Diss will always retain some prickliness. A lot of people will be turned off by it, but I really don't care, this is who I am.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:23 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Sure you are. You just need to shake off some old baggage first, and open up that heart. Being blunt, cold, is a choice. (It may not feel like it now, but it kind of is.) Life is so much more rewarding when you're diplomatic and warm. (I didn't say you had to lie, I said "diplomatic". There's a difference. )

You can do it, Diss. If you set your mind to it, and your heart.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:27 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Well, of course none of that is secret. I'm very guarded, not or ever been warm and cuddly (I almost vomited just typing that), and I find bubbly and outgoing people super annoying. I'm working on the anger issues. But please believe the Diss will always retain some prickliness. A lot of people will be turned off by it, but I really don't care, this is who I am.
lol! See, now that's funny! You're cute in spite of yourself, Diss. (I'm wearing my vomit guard.) OK, you can keep some prickliness. But somewhere underneath all that is a soft heart waiting to be discovered and acknowledged. By you. But, take your time. These things take time. You've taken an important first step. Easy does it.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:32 PM

65 posts, read 43,705 times
Marriage is most certainly a bad deal for men. There simply is no good argument for marriage.

* "It's a token of commitment and love" - Get a ring. That's a token. No need to create a corporation which splits its assets at the end.

* "It's romantic" - Irrelevant.

* "Financial security" - No. It doesn't create financial security for men. Quite the opposite.

* It doesn't make you love the other person more.

* It kind of makes you like brother and sister.

* Once she's your wife, it's like she's reached the end. There's no incentive for her to remain attractive.

* A huge proportion of marriages end in divorce, which is an even worse deal for men than marriage, and is in fact one of the biggest reasons why marriage is a bad deal for men to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships