Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times

Advertisements

What good can come of this? That's what I always ask.

An overnight fling? Maybe 20 years ago when there was no social media to make the world smaller and trick you into dragging to it out online. You're somehow already FB friends. Then what?

Are you going to visit there often? Will she come to your country??

Too complicated, not worth it. You are not even sure she's actually interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:59 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,409,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
Oh well. What would you do? LOL
Consider it a nice flirtation and side benefit of the treatment and then move on.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:21 PM

13,699 posts, read 9,793,471 times
Why didn't such things happen to me when I was in Tel Aviv? All that I got was an interrogation by El Al.

But since this is the relationships forum... I second the suggestion for the OP to ask the receptionist for a date, upon conclusion of his medical treatments. If the receptionist is being merely flirtatious, then making such request at the last moment does not compromise the professional relationship. And if she's serious, then perhaps this might be the start of something intriguing. Massachusetts and Tel Aviv might be 5000 miles apart, but the US-Israeli connection is considerably stronger than, say, between that of the US and most parts of Europe.

Also, this thread is illustrative of an important difference in dating between the US and nearly anywhere else. Americans are scrupulously careful about not mixing business and "pleasure". For an attractive young lady to accord special attention to a male colleague/patient/client is viewed as being somewhat disreputable and indecorous. Elsewhere in the world, barriers are lower, and there is less inhibition for persons brought together in casual business contact to directly blurt out a statement of romantic interest.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
I'm realizing the hand kissing thing was a bit too much after the 3rd time. No doubt in that. I guess I'm asking myself the same question you are. Do we hook up or something, then I leave and go back to being 5500 miles away? Is she just flirting for sport? Tomorrow is the last day I'll be at the clinic, then I leave next Wednesday (May 14). Do I at least ask her to hang out with a few of us for dinner or something and go from there? Even if we hook up or something, I'll have to leave. It's a tough situation. Oh well. What would you do? LOL
Well, if you wanted to make a gesture, you could organize a small "goodbye" dinner with friends, and invite her along. But really, it seems pointless, since you're leaving soon.

IME, very long-distance, international "relationships" don't work out. Too much time, effort, and money are involved in trying to maintain them. You don't even know this woman, so you're starting from scratch; it's not like you spent a month there seeing/dating her regularly as a student, patient or researcher, you both decided you're very into each other, and you only need a couple of reciprocal visits to clinch a potential marriage proposal. (Would she even be able to afford to travel? Would you end up footing the bill for all travel? Would she even be able to get a visa? What are the visa req's for Israeli citizens?)

Also, with these other-side-of-the-world dateships, you can't really get to know the person well. It's too easy for huge pitfalls to remain hidden. I'm sure they've worked out for a few people, but again, those people probably weren't starting from scratch, like you are, with a complete stranger. IDK, OP, I understand the impulse to seize the moment, but...to what end? Is it practical?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:59 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,110,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IME, very long-distance, international "relationships" don't work out. Too much time, effort, and money are involved in trying to maintain them. You don't even know this woman, so you're starting from scratch; it's not like you spent a month there seeing/dating her regularly as a student, patient or researcher, you both decided you're very into each other, and you only need a couple of reciprocal visits to clinch a potential marriage proposal. (Would she even be able to afford to travel? Would you end up footing the bill for all travel? Would she even be able to get a visa? What are the visa req's for Israeli citizens?)
Really, you are sure about that? Thousands of American men marry foreigners and a lot of marriages are succesful. This is one of the articles I found that cites somehwat credible studies:
Don’t Believe The Lies About Foreign Brides

Of course if OP is no interested in that then this is a moot point. I don't think there is statistics about the percentage of US men who enjoy hook ups in a another country.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:03 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Really, you are sure about that? Thousands of American men marry foreigners and a lot of marriages are succesful. This is one of the articles I found that cites somehwat credible studies:

Of course if OP is no interested in that then this is a moot point. I don't think there is statistics about the percentage of US men who enjoy hook ups in a another country.
Did you notice I didn't state that as a fact, but as my experience? I guess not. It sounds like you also didn't notice that I said that tends to work better under some circumstances than others. Your blog link also doesn't mention how many mail order marriages work out very badly for the women involved. It's hardly an objective treatment of the topic.

The OP can go for it if he wants. People have only been asking him if he's thought through the long-term implications, and if he's ready to sign up for all that entails. Looking before you leap isn't a bad thing to do.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:05 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,857,160 times
Quote:

He need to be careful before he caught up some international mess.
Pick better site next time

Old 05-06-2015, 03:16 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times
Quote:
This is one of the articles I found that cites somehwat credible studies:
"Somewhat credible" studies??

Come on ....

Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,482,142 times
What do you want from this realtionship?
Is that a reality?

Base your actions on your intentions

Old 05-06-2015, 03:35 PM

264 posts, read 390,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
What do you want from this realtionship?
Is that a reality?

Base your actions on your intentions
I guess whatever is the best outcome? I try to make the most of all opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships