Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times

Advertisements

I've been there, too, man.

First two girlfriends in high school (white) had racist families. My first relationship ended because her grandma found out about us and threatened to tell her parents if we didn't break up.

The first Middle Eastern woman I dated (sophomore year in college) parents didn't like black people either, so I never went to her house, let alone met them. But now she's in a serious relationship with a white guy, and they of course have no problem with that.

Now in my mid 20's I mostly date Hispanic/Latin women, but so far, that hasn't been as big of an issue, for the most part.

So now before anything gets serious, I ask them how their family would receive me if it got serious. No, I will not seriously date or marry into a family that doesn't like me because of my skin color.

I'm glad my family is progressive enough to not care about skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

First two girlfriends in high school (white) had racist families. My first relationship ended because her grandma found out about us and threatened to tell her parents if we didn't break up.

The first Middle Eastern woman I dated (sophomore year in college) parents didn't like black people either, so I never went to her house, let alone met them. But now she's in a serious relationship with a white guy, and they of course have no problem with that.

Now in my mid 20's I mostly date Hispanic/Latin women, but so far, that hasn't been as big of an issue, for the most part.

So now before anything gets serious, I ask them how their family would receive me if it got serious. No, I will not seriously date or marry into a family that doesn't like me because of my skin color.

I do this with every new woman I meet now. In my 20s I found women to be more understanding and likely willing to be a little more "defiant" towards their parents, because they're still spreading their wings. In their 30s, there's a good chance their parents were there for them during a tough period in their life. The daughters may feel a little more indebted to their parents and take more value in their opinion.

I usually ask before the meetup or during the first meetup if their parents would be okay with their daughter dating a black guy. At this point in life, dating is stressful enough trying to lower each other's walls, so I much prefer going into something with as little red tape as possible.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:

I knew people left their families because they wanted to someone who like and they are still together.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowili View Post
Btw, she called me last night crying telling me that her parents were going to throw her out if she didn't break up. I told her to do it and say it so her parents could hear, but she wouldn't. She hasn't picked up the phone since then. I'm really worried about her and I'll be knocking on her door later.
Her dad isn't going to hurt her physically or he would have already.

I cannot say that a man that racist would not harm you, though. Be careful, OP. There are some hateful people in this world and your GF's dad seems to be one of them.

Racism is an ugly thing. I'm white, but I was formerly married to an Asian man. My family quietly accepted this, but my brother made jerk comments about having yellow babies calling him their uncle.

He is crazy about them now. But, I was in my 20s and not living at home when I married my ex.

I dated a black guy when I was still living at home. I knew better than to try to make my family accept him. Some would have. Others never would have. It's sad and it was their loss. He was a really nice guy.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I do this with every new woman I meet now. In my 20s I found women to be more understanding and likely willing to be a little more "defiant" towards their parents, because they're still spreading their wings. In their 30s, there's a good chance their parents were there for them during a tough period in their life. The daughters may feel a little more indebted to their parents and take more value in their opinion.

I usually ask before the meetup or during the first meetup if their parents would be okay with their daughter dating a black guy. At this point in life, dating is stressful enough trying to lower each other's walls, so I much prefer going into something with as little red tape as possible.
Yeap. I'm not going to waste our time if this is just going to lead to issues eventually over something as trivial as skin color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I knew people left their families because they wanted to someone who like and they are still together.
And that's half the reason why I wouldn't want to date a woman who has a family that prefers her not to date me (doesn't have to be about skin color, either).

Last thing I want is:

1) Uncomfortable environments and fake, insincere interactions towards me; knowing deep down inside they do not "approve" of me
2) Her to have a severed relationship with her family because of me and for them to disown her

Nothing like explaining to your children why we never visit mom's side of the family.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yeap. I'm not going to waste our time if this is just going to lead to issues eventually over something as trivial as skin color.

And that's half the reason why I wouldn't want to date a woman who has a family that prefers her not to date me (doesn't have to be about skin color, either).

Last thing I want is:

1) Uncomfortable environments and fake, insincere interactions towards me; knowing deep down inside they do not "approve" of me
2) Her to have a severed relationship with her family because of me and for them to disown her

Nothing like explaining to your children why we never visit mom's side of the family.
Who wants to raise children around bigots ?
I would not ask him to leave his family but I am not going to family events when I am not welcome .

Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Last thing I want is:

In the end I feel both parties have a sigh of relief. I still think about what I had with some exes who had parents that weren't on board, but I'm glad they ended up with a man that their family would accept. I'm an opinionated person and I can only take so much flack about my ethnicity before I'm going to speak out on it. I don't like the close-mindedness of it at all, even though I know some people just don't want to understand or refuse to understand.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've heard plenty of stories of racism going both ways, not all black families welcome the white person in to the family either.
In my experience, the racism I have seen has always been white families towards blacks dating their daughters. Never seen them (whites) against their sons dating black women, and I have never seen any black families against their sons or daughters dating whites. Although, black women can sometimes be especially critical when they see a black guy with a non-black woman. But, basically, what I am saying is that I have never seen a black family being racist against who the people in their family date. I just havent seen it in real life.

To the OP (Bowlii is the name I believe) the problem I believe is 75% her dad, and 25% YOU. You should not have ended your relationship because of what someone is is NOT part of that relationship says or does. You walked away instead of confronting it and/or fighting against it to show that it is wrong. Its similar to that Einstein quote you always see on Facebook about good men doing nothing in the face of evil (you know the one).

Old 06-29-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
In my experience, the racism I have seen has always been white families towards blacks dating their daughters. Never seen them (whites) against their sons dating black women, and I have never seen any black families against their sons or daughters dating whites. Although, black women can sometimes be especially critical when they see a black guy with a non-black woman. But, basically, what I am saying is that I have never seen a black family being racist against who the people in their family date. I just havent seen it in real life.

To the OP (Bowlii is the name I believe) the problem I believe is 75% her dad, and 25% YOU. You should not have ended your relationship because of what someone is is NOT part of that relationship says or does. You walked away instead of confronting it and/or fighting against it to show that it is wrong. Its similar to that Einstein quote you always see on Facebook about good men doing nothing in the face of evil (you know the one).
The bold sentence is usually due to jealousy. Statistically, 1/4 black men have been to prison. My Dad went to prison when I was a kid, so I understand the statistic very well. Black women see a good black man with a white woman and it makes them sad, because all they're really left with is the black men in and out of the system. It's a sad cycle.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
The bold sentence is usually due to jealousy. Statistically, 1/4 black men have been to prison. My Dad went to prison when I was a kid, so I understand the statistic very well. Black women see a good black man with a white woman and it makes them sad, because all they're really left with is the black men in and out of the system. It's a sad cycle.
Black women are educated double rate than black men . My friends are struggling with dating because they won't any other race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships