Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times

Advertisements

I say we ban the word "clean". It is clearly hurtful and demeaning to many. Words hurt, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 15,953 times
Oh, I used to be just as ignorant and smug about this issue as you are, OP. "I'd never date anyone who has herpes" I thought. It's only promiscuous people who get it, I thought.

Until I read an article about herpes and it said 1 in 5 adults have it and don't know it, the virus sits dormant and sometimes there is not a single outbreak. And, it gets better! The standard STD panel doesn't check for HSV.

So I went to my dr and asked for a special test for HSV. And it came back positive. I am the carrier.
Ha... Kinda changes one's perspective rather quickly. I will never know who gave it to me, and whether they knew they had it and chose not to tell me; and now I am facing the dilemma whether to disclose it to my potential partner.

Not really a dilemma, as I'd never NOT disclose and give them a chance to make an informed decision. So far it hasn't hurt my dating prospects one bit. I find that people react well to my news, thank me for my integrity and honesty, and ask when they can see me again.

So yeah... Get off that high horse, because for all you know you are the carrier, too. You just don't know it.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Incognita View Post
I will never know who gave it to me, and whether they knew they had it and chose not to tell me; and now I am facing the dilemma whether to disclose it to my potential partner.

Not really a dilemma, as I'd never NOT disclose and give them a chance to make an informed decision.
Those two statements don't make sense together, at least to me. I hope you disclose being positive before doing anything sexual with new partners... it was non-disclosure that led to my Ex and a good friend getting STD's (one of which is HSV, the other one is a cancer causing version of HPV). It sickens me to think that for a quick thrill someone would consider not telling the person they want to have sex with about the STD they know they carry. The good news is that even infected/a carrier, it isn't the end of the world, life goes on even if a bit more complicated than before. Hey I'm a divorcee with children.. that's certainly complicated... no one is perfect, we all just do our best.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:41 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
So yeah... Get off that high horse, because for all you know you are the carrier, too. You just don't know it.
OP is a virgin. Chances of him having it are next to nil.

I don't consider it a high horse to want to preserve one's herpes-free status. Life throws so many curve balls as it is. I'm not going to ask for another hassle by deliberately and knowingly exposing myself to a disease that has no cure and is a giant PITA, in plain English.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:43 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
Those two statements don't make sense together, at least to me. I hope you disclose being positive before doing anything sexual with new partners... it was non-disclosure that led to my Ex and a good friend getting STD's (one of which is HSV, the other one is a cancer causing version of HPV). It sickens me to think that for a quick thrill someone would consider not telling the person they want to have sex with about the STD they know they carry. The good news is that even infected/a carrier, it isn't the end of the world, life goes on even if a bit more complicated than before. Hey I'm a divorcee with children.. that's certainly complicated... no one is perfect, we all just do our best.
I think that poster was saying that he/she would in fact disclose it immediately and offer the person the chance to make an informed decision. The sentence was confusing because of the double negative and lack of comma.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 AM

12 posts, read 15,953 times
Belovenow, it's ok.

A lot of people don't understand the intricacies of their native language. The double negative creates a nuance of meaning that would not be present had I just made an affirmative statement:

I would always disclose my status
Vs
I would never not disclose my status.

But I digress...

On the subj - whether the OP is virgin is irrelevant. Because sexual intercourse is just *one* of the ways HSV is transmitted. Unless a person never kissed, caressed and had skin contact with another person, they could have contracted the virus. But that doesn't stop them from pontificating how they want to preserve their "clean" status.

Statistically, out of 30 people who commented here, at least 5 have HSV.

OP, don't let this diagnosis determine whether to pursue that relationship. Appreciate the fact that you are dealing with a person with a great deal of integrity, who took a chance to disclose her diagnosis and make herself vulnerable to judgement. It's a rare find nowadays.

Female to male transmission rate is 4% without using a condom, 2% without a condom, if you have sex twice a week for a year.

HSV is not a death sentence, just a mere inconvenience IF she has outbreaks.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:21 AM

479 posts, read 431,974 times
Quote:
Oh, I used to be just as ignorant and smug about this issue as you are, OP. "I'd never date anyone who has herpes" I thought. It's only promiscuous people who get it, I thought.

Until I read an article about herpes and it said 1 in 5 adults have it and don't know it, the virus sits dormant and sometimes there is not a single outbreak. And, it gets better! The standard STD panel doesn't check for HSV.

So I went to my dr and asked for a special test for HSV. And it came back positive. I am the carrier.
Ha... Kinda changes one's perspective rather quickly. I will never know who gave it to me, and whether they knew they had it and chose not to tell me; and now I am facing the dilemma whether to disclose it to my potential partner.

Not really a dilemma, as I'd never NOT disclose and give them a chance to make an informed decision. So far it hasn't hurt my dating prospects one bit. I find that people react well to my news, thank me for my integrity and honesty, and ask when they can see me again...
Thank you for being a voice of reality...

Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
I like to eat things and da herp can't be cooked out like some food pathogens.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:24 AM

106 posts, read 87,830 times
If I found out my wife had an STD she'd be packing her bags up today. Disgusting.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:37 AM

479 posts, read 431,974 times
Quote:
...Until I read an article about herpes and it said 1 in 5 adults have it and don't know it, the virus sits dormant and sometimes there is not a single outbreak. And, it gets better! The standard STD panel doesn't check for HSV...
This can be substantiated with facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships