Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,871 times

Advertisements

I am trying to make sense of why some people act in an overly attached or clingy manner when they meet someone. Does it not register that most people will be highly put off by such behaviour?

I'm talking about incessant texting, "I love you" way too early on (like on the 2nd date), pressure to move in together, asking why you haven't called or texted back within a certain amount of time.

Why do people do this? As far as I am concerned, it's an instant attraction killer and something that will make me simply want to run for the hills.

I'd love some opinions on this. It irritates the crap out of me when people do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:48 AM

8 posts, read 5,784 times
When "people" do it? Haha, come on now. You talk about this as though both sexes do it equally. But it's women who do that kind of thing 99% of the time, not men. There's no need to be politically correct Amy, we're all friends here. No one is going to jump on your for telling the truth.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:53 AM

361 posts, read 333,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratomberger View Post
When "people" do it? Haha, come on now. You talk about this as though both sexes do it equally. But it's women who do that kind of thing 99% of the time, not men. There's no need to be politically correct Amy, we're all friends here. No one is going to jump on your for telling the truth.
I am a man and I absolutely disagree. There is a lot of guys out there who are emotionally and psychologically unstable.

How many times have you heard of a story about some creep that just would not leave a woman alone and she had to file a restraining order?

I know very few guys who had to do the same against a woman.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratomberger View Post
Wrong. Men do it too, maybe even more. Neither sex has the monopoly on being overly attached and clingy. You just want to associate it with women.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I am a man and I absolutely disagree. There is a lot of guys out there who are emotionally and psychologically unstable.

How many times have you heard of a story about some creep that just would not leave a woman alone and she had to file a restraining order?

I know very few guys who had to do the same against a woman.
Or as I've had:

"When can I see you again?"
"I am in love with you" (after 2nd date)
"We should move in together"

Or the guys on dating sites that message you over and over and over again, for weeks even when you don't respond.

Guys can be needy too. And then there's stalking.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipe Pirripe View Post
I'm not trying. It just is. Sure there are men that do it but for the most part it's women. They don't have to do it (after all, no one has a monopoly, right?) but they do. If you want an honest conversation, then just be honest.

Jeez, even in your two examples above, you're saying I love you etc, and guys are merely being persistent when pursuing, which is something different. That's not clinginess, that's persistence. there's a difference.
I love you after 2 dates? It's happened a few times. It isn't persistence, it's creepy and weird. You can't love someone after just 2 or even 5 dates. And then demanding that I message them back or reply

I'm not saying women don't do it, but this wasn't an attack on men. It's aimed at clingy people in general.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipe Pirripe View Post
Yes, and if you want to talk in general terms, then in general, it's women who do it more than men.
Nonsense. I assume you don't date men, so you've never had men do it to you.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,715 times
I would like to know the answer as well.

So citydata members please answer the question.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:36 AM

419 posts, read 1,237,992 times
I told a girl I loved her on a first date and I meant every word of it.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
I told a girl I loved her on a first date and I meant every word of it.
I would've ran lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships