Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:55 PM

361 posts, read 333,762 times

Advertisements

I have come to the conclusion that 95% of women on Tinder are open to casual sex regardless of their situation, age or what they say initially.

Usually, they will say stuff like "I am looking for a relationship" but you have to be kind of stupid or naive to look for a serious relationship on a hook-up app, right?

The group that has surprised me the most is women in their 45-50's. I used to think women in that age group are mostly done with casual sex and FWB types of deals but that is not what I have encountered lately.

I guess, it would be easier for us men if women were upfront about what they want but maybe they hesitate because don't want to be labeled as easy women or sluts?

Whatever the case may be, I think Tinder provides a very interesting insight into society and women's psychology.

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 PM

474 posts, read 384,538 times
I couldn't tell you, almost none match with me. Seems like a waste of time.

If you read the profiles, about half caveat about not looking for hookups, and half are "proud moms of x wonderful children".

Old 09-21-2015, 02:01 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
I never used Tinder, so I don't know for sure.. but in another thread people were talking about others using Tinder as a dating app when it's really a hook-up app, so my guess is you are probably right. (Although I argued that newer users might be unaware of the app's hook-up connotation because it advertises itself as a "dating app." So you might want to keep that in mind when looking at newer users. )

I think most women are not upfront about what they want in this regard because society still labels them negatively for it--just like you said. Until that changes, I doubt the behavior will.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Usually, they will say stuff like "I am looking for a relationship" but you have to be kind of stupid or naive to look for a serious relationship on a hook-up app, right?
You'd think. But regardless of its intended purpose, people will use things to obtain the benefit they desire. The end result?

Tons of women on Tinder looking for LTR's
Tons of men on marriage websites looking for one-night-stands or casual flings.

To the OP's point: I disagree. Most of the women on there (or any dating website/app) are looking for LTRs. Most of the rest are looking for attention.

If a woman is genuinely looking for a casual fling, she doesn't need a website or app to do it. The VERY few who do tend to fit a pretty specific profile.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:13 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
From my experience in talking to others, it seems that the younger crowd know Tinder to be a hook-up site; those who are a bit older assume it's just an OLD app vs an actual website. I'm amazed by how many people either have never heard of it, or are surprised when I tell them it's a hook-up site.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM

474 posts, read 384,538 times
^
Tinder's creators said it was whatever people make of it. They didn't intend it to skew one way or another.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I learned my lesson when I tried to use it as a dating site. LOL.

I got some weird messages. It was really a fun game to see how long someone would take to ask for a sexual act. Most people at least tried for some conversation. A few people went from Hi to blow job in 3 messages flat.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Never used it, met the husband before it was a thing.

My impression of it as a nonuser is definitely that it's a hookup app, for what it's worth. Don't know if this is the universal random person's impression, but it is mine.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I do have a friend of a friend who met her husband on Tinder. It is like any other app, you get out what you put in. But there are way more people looking for hookups. On the up note, not many people waste time with messages before meeting. There is a little less artifice. I did meet a few good guys via Tinder. In a way it was nice to see if we have some common connections, I like that you could see if you have common Facebook friends.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I have come to the conclusion that 95% of women on Tinder are open to casual sex regardless of their situation, age or what they say initially.
What makes you think that? Have you hooked up with women on there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships