Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

Dating is more difficult for women, the simple reason being that women are far more pickier about the men they date in terms of physical attractiveness and income. That usually means a large number of women are going after the 10% of men who satisfy that criteria but those 10% more often than not are players.

Hence you see so many women caught up in the breakup cycle and also staying with men who treat them poorly.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
We are told here in CD land that women are excellent at judging and sizing up men. Apparently not so much or else they wouldn't be fooled time and again like the women in my post.
I think some women have said that they themselves are a good judge of character - but that doesn't mean that women in general are - any more than men in general are. I have a friend that constantly dated d-bags. She also had her own issues. But I never would have dated ANY of the guys that she dated. Blech! I'm not always the best judge of people - there have been times that I realized after months of hanging out with someone as a friend that they just weren't who I thought they were. My husband is a much better judge of people than I am. BUT all the guys that I dated were good guys - so I must be a fairly good judge of character. To my knowledge, I never dated a ladies man. I mean, I might have made out with a couple but I didn't have a relationship with any! But my point is that just because I didn't date a bunch of players, that doesn't mean that I think that ALL women have avoided them!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Women are prettier. End the of thread..

Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I am a woman and no one wants to date me either, if that makes you feel any better.
I am slender, take care of my looks and health, have a job, am generally considered intelligent and pretty, etc (and I say that at risk of being told I am vain and arrogant). But my personality and life values are also considered a tad odd, and not in some cool sub-culture niche way. When I do date, it is more likely to be short non-white men, and they usually are considered a tad less physically attractive than men, but then I do not compromise on things like intelligence or a kind demeanor.

The more average someone is, the broader their pool of potential mates is. So people of average intelligence, average socio-economic status, average looks (and sorry, but overweight is average now), with commom interests and typical personalities, etc - these are the ones who pair off the easiest. If you are truly a good looking guy with a nice body, good job, and are relatively intelligent and charismatic, etc, then few will be your equal (in these shallow matters) and you will have to date "down" or work harder to find an equal match. A dose of humility tends to help there, as does less focus on physical and material ways of viewing people and life.

The men you describe do not sound much superior to the women they are with though....they are tall and white? So what?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:13 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think some women have said that they themselves are a good judge of character - but that doesn't mean that women in general are - any more than men in general are. I have a friend that constantly dated d-bags. She also had her own issues. But I never would have dated ANY of the guys that she dated. Blech! I'm not always the best judge of people - there have been times that I realized after months of hanging out with someone as a friend that they just weren't who I thought they were. My husband is a much better judge of people than I am. BUT all the guys that I dated were good guys - so I must be a fairly good judge of character. To my knowledge, I never dated a ladies man. I mean, I might have made out with a couple but I didn't have a relationship with any! But my point is that just because I didn't date a bunch of players, that doesn't mean that I think that ALL women have avoided them!
I get what you are saying and I can see the truth in it. I didn't state all women though. I stay away from such generalizations.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I get what you are saying and I can see the truth in it. I didn't state all women though. I stay away from such generalizations.
You made it seem like the women on here think that all women are great judges of character - and I was just clarifying that while I have always picked good guys - I have female friends that are horrible judges of character. There are a lot of women out there that believe any compliment that comes out of man's mouth. One of my former roommates was telling me about this guy that she dated that told her that she was the "woman of his dreams" the first night that they met. And she thought that he really meant it.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:28 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
You made it seem like the women on here think that all women are great judges of character - and I was just clarifying that while I have always picked good guys - I have female friends that are horrible judges of character. There are a lot of women out there that believe any compliment that comes out of man's mouth. One of my former roommates was telling me about this guy that she dated that told her that she was the "woman of his dreams" the first night that they met. And she thought that he really meant it.
It was inadvertent. I didnt mean all women just those who posted such. Woman of his dreams and they just met? That actually sounds rather creepy.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
It was inadvertent. I didnt mean all women just those who posted such. Woman of his dreams and they just met? That actually sounds rather creepy.
I told her that it was just a line - and she tried to tell me that he really sounded sincere. And I told her, "How can he be sincere??? He just met you? He didn't even KNOW you!!!"

Old 10-09-2015, 06:38 PM

93 posts, read 75,190 times
Supply and demand.

Lets say 90% of all men want women and want to be in relationships with women. The other 10% don't want relationships for one reason or another(they're gay, they don't want to commit and just want sex etc etc)

Probably only 50% of all women want relationships with men. The other 50% are lesbian and/or just want to be left alone and don't want any romantic relationship.

Naturally it's gonna be more difficult for men as there is more competition.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
Supply and demand.

Lets say 90% of all men want women and want to be in relationships with women. The other 10% don't want relationships for one reason or another(they're gay, they don't want to commit and just want sex etc etc)

Probably only 50% of all women want relationships with men. The other 50% are lesbian and/or just want to be left alone and don't want any romantic relationship.

Naturally it's gonna be more difficult for men as there is more competition.
Can you please post a link to your data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships