Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 11:16 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
True. I'd wish most people had that mindset, but unfortunately divorce rate shows that's likely not the case.
Divorce is brought on by a million reasons, but I'm pretty sure looks aren't a driving factor in such a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 11:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Depends on where you are. I see it pretty often where I am, particularly among the upper-middle class (and what I see of the upper class). Money usually makes the difference, although a man successful in any field can have the same effect. A successful man will usually be a confident man, and confidence seems to be attractive to women.
I don't think it's confidence. Confidence is way overrated in my opinion.

However, I've recently gone from being a man with "potential" to becoming successful. Since then, I've been attracting higher quality women.

I feel different. Not more confident, per se (though I am), but it's more of a feeling that I figured something out. Since becoming successful in my career, I have a better understanding of how life works. I believe that this understanding has led me to more success with women, not the confidence itself.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 992,344 times
She likes him
/thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:33 PM

405 posts, read 325,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Divorce is brought on by a million reasons, but I'm pretty sure looks aren't a driving factor in such a decision.
Probably in some cases it is for the ones who settled. I think the women who were with attractive guys when they were younger, but than got into a serious relationship with a less attractive guy due to something besides looks is somewhat settling.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:36 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
All of these guys probably must have a lot going for them if an attractive woman wants to be with them.
That's what everyone has been saying.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:37 PM

273 posts, read 241,094 times
Quote:
Probably in some cases it is for the ones who settled. I think the women who were with attractive guys when they were younger, but than got into a serious relationship with a less attractive guy due to something besides looks is somewhat settling.
You seem pretty set on your opinion. I think life is much more diverse.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Learning to make more mature decisions is not "settling." There are simply things more important in a long term relationship than physical attractiveness.

Especially, if we're talking about a life-long relationship, physical attractiveness starts declining after one hits thirty years old. A person who has learned to base attraction on things that will last for life will have a better chance of keeping the relationship for life.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
If someone loves someone, they don't think about "doing better." Not everything is about looks. Nobody is "better" than my husband.
Quote:
True. I'd wish most people had that mindset, but unfortunately divorce rate shows that's likely not the case.
It sounds like you understand - and then you say this...

Quote:
And it confirms to me what all your previous posts have made me believe - you just don't understand. When you love someone, you aren't settling. People are MORE than just what they look like.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Some men have a running monologue in their heads about why they are rejected or have issues with women and I've seen this on CD and in real life, they tend to fabric stories that tend to fill in for their own shortcomings, a script, if you will, of reasons why they can't be successful with women.

Looks, height, penis size, whatever the issue is, they tend to build supporting stories to reinforce their own self defeating reasons and or rationalization as to why they don't have dating success... it must be because I don't look like Brad Pitt or whoever is the latest hot piece out there.

Self talk, along with supporting narratives in their own minds and a few incidental experiences in real life all come together like some kind of messed up synergy to reinforce a lot of negatively that we read on this forum.

It's sad actually, cause life is short and friggin lonely and we shouldn't self-defeat ourselves... yeah, of course there are real rejections... but these 'real' rejections are probably not nearly as many as the ones in the minds of many young people here......

Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM

405 posts, read 325,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
It sounds like you understand - and then you say this...

And it confirms to me what all your previous posts have made me believe - you just don't understand. When you love someone, you aren't settling. People are MORE than just what they look like.
But how can everyone who's married love their wife/husband if the divorce rate is 50%? Something isn't right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships