Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 01:58 AM

273 posts, read 241,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
But how can everyone who's married love their wife/husband if the divorce rate is 50%? Something isn't right there.
Divorce rate doesn't prove anything you are saying. Divorce happens when people grow apart, become bored or various other reasons. (Abuse, drugs, money issues.) Even attractive people lose their looks over time.

If you really want to believe it, then go ahead. But honestly nothing fits into a black and white statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:02 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
Very rarely do I personally see an attractive woman with a guy that's below average in looks. But online I always hear of people say that they have a friend or someone they know that's not attractive but has a lot of confidence, good personality, etc. that's with a good looking woman. But do those relationships ever last for the long term since I rarely ever see it myself? I just always usually see attractive women with attractive men, average women with average men, below average women with average or below average men. But it's extremely rare to see attractive women with below average men & just occasionally see them with average men.
For me it's just that I really connect with him personally and am not interested in anyone else (and haven't been for a long time). To me my fiancé's attractive but from what I'm told by others he would not be considered so by most others (and he says so himself, that he doesn't understand why I find him attractive).

Also, when people see us they surely think that I'm with him for his money because he looks to be so much older than I am (which there is a 20+ year difference but because I look younger than my age and he looks older, the difference looks much greater). Actually, for right now I'm the one making all the money so if people think that which I imagine lots do when they see a young woman with a much older man then they really have it wrong.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,312,217 times
If a pretty woman is with a below average he is loaded or she's using him.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:45 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
When I'm at the gym for instance when I see couples together, their usually both pretty good looking or the guy is at least decent looking, but never unattractive.
The gym is a special case. Most typically I also find workout-couples to be evenly matched in physical terms. But the gym is not representative of life in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
...When you love someone, you aren't settling. People are MORE than just what they look like.
I agree that divorce is almost never about looks, but I disagree that being in love precludes "settling".

The standard trope is that as the couple ages, the wayward man strays sexually with a younger woman. He doesn't wish for divorce, because he enjoys being married; he just doesn't feel the same physical yearnings for his aging wife. If she finds out, and doesn't forgive him, they divorce. If however it's the husband whose aging is accelerating towards senescence and lost vitality, the wife will abide that without complaint, as long as the emotional rapport remains.

But it may happen that over time, the partners' values and aspirations diverge. One partner changes, the other remains invariant. The partner who changes – and in the typical view, it's the wife – now feels that she's "settling" to remain married. She is not setting for a person; she is settling for a lifestyle. Exhibit A is my own ex-wife, who asserted that she loved me deeply even on the day that we divorced, but that owing to her diametrical reversal regarding having children, she could no longer settle for a life (with me) without kids.

Returning to the thread's theme, it seems to me that if relationships began mostly through cold-approach, where two people size each other up in physical terms before even speaking with each other, then we'd have more couples evenly matched in looks. But if most relationships begin through introduction by a friend, or through shared activities, the machine of attraction starts whirring without the dominance of raw physical attraction. And so we find couples where the one partner is so much more physically attractive than the other.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
I find the use of the word "motive" rather curious and also rather telling.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times
Looks are not the most important factor for most women when they are looking for a relationship. It is who the man is, not what he looks like.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times
Haven't you ever met someone, and something just sizzled between you. You couldn't explain it for the life of you, and it has absolutely nothing to do with looks. It is chemistry. It doesn't always last, but it does count for some of these pairings of people who have such a disparity in looks. I have seen really hot man with a woman that is not attractive and hot women with guys that are not attractive. It must be about something other than looks.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:15 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The gym is a special case. Most typically I also find workout-couples to be evenly matched in physical terms. But the gym is not representative of life in general.

I agree that divorce is almost never about looks, but I disagree that being in love precludes "settling".

The standard trope is that as the couple ages, the wayward man strays sexually with a younger woman. He doesn't wish for divorce, because he enjoys being married; he just doesn't feel the same physical yearnings for his aging wife. If she finds out, and doesn't forgive him, they divorce. If however it's the husband whose aging is accelerating towards senescence and lost vitality, the wife will abide that without complaint, as long as the emotional rapport remains.

But it may happen that over time, the partners' values and aspirations diverge. One partner changes, the other remains invariant. The partner who changes – and in the typical view, it's the wife – now feels that she's "settling" to remain married. She is not setting for a person; she is settling for a lifestyle. Exhibit A is my own ex-wife, who asserted that she loved me deeply even on the day that we divorced, but that owing to her diametrical reversal regarding having children, she could no longer settle for a life (with me) without kids.

Returning to the thread's theme, it seems to me that if relationships began mostly through cold-approach, where two people size each other up in physical terms before even speaking with each other, then we'd have more couples evenly matched in looks. But if most relationships begin through introduction by a friend, or through shared activities, the machine of attraction starts whirring without the dominance of raw physical attraction. And so we find couples where the one partner is so much more physically attractive than the other.
The OP is saying that if someone is with someone that is not as attractive as they are - then they are automatically "settling" because they could have someone more attractive. I am disagreeing with that. You are talking about something else.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,416,501 times
Quote:
Successful to me means their making at least 6 figure income.

That's a little sad.... and makes me think you are quite young.

There are more important things in life than 6 figure income.

Success can also mean achieving a high level of accomplishment in your field, gaining the respect of your peers, contributing something that has value to society, loving your job, having a stable family, having friends that care about you, being healthy, etc....

You have a lot to learn, grasshopper.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:29 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
*sigh*...We've been over this.

I mean if you want to be that superficial, nobody's stopping you, but human beings are just not that simple. People are together, or not, for whatever reasons are meaningful TO THEM. It frustrates me too, because my ex wants sometimes to act like I ended our marriage for superficial reasons, makes him feel morally superior or something. Fact is, I never judged him against prettier men. It was all how he acted. If the hottest man on earth had me running home from work to provide therapy because he blew up my phone with threats and craziness, if he sat home stoned all day driving himself into a funk, if he menaced me with a gun...I would really care about the same (not at all) what he looked like.

OP you're reaching for easy answers to complex human questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships