Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:45 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times

Advertisements

28 is still pretty young. There's plenty of time and opportunity to meet someone and it progress into a long term relationship. My husband was in a relationship for about two and a half years that ended when he was around 31, and he had a couple more shorter relationships that followed until we met and married when he was 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I don't get it, women think 28 is old and men think 33 is old. Nobody in my family nor my husband's family got married until they were at least 30. 30 is the new 20, I think.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:07 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28singleagain View Post

1) Any of you have found the love of their life with 28 or older? I know there are people who did, but I would just like to hear some stories, maybe it makes me feel a bit more positive.
I was 34 when I met my fiancé after having a 10 year relationship end (on good terms) a couple years before that. Your description of yourself would fit me as well, yet I'm always so awkward around people and have real narrow interests that I'd figure I'd either have to settle for someone I'm just okay with and has the same faith as me, or just be alone all my life. I really never expected I'd meet someone and fall in love so quickly after moving away from where I had lived in the west (which place I hated and felt like my life was on hold there since I didn't want to meet anyone there, since I didn't want to live there long-term or even short-term anymore).

It can definitely happen. My only advice would be to try not to look actively. It seems, at least it's been that way for me, that I'd get into relationships when I'm least expecting them or looking for them. I had just moved here from the west and trying to get settled in when I met my fiancé. Not good timing maybe, but better than not having met him at all! Just try to focus on enjoying life and being happy with yourself; these are the only times (okay, it only happened twice but still) I've ever met anyone that I've gotten into a long-term relationship with.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:51 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
28 is well too young to be thinking like that!

Old 11-28-2015, 07:15 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
On December 3, 2013, my partner of 8 years passed away unexpectedly. On September 20, 2014, at the ancient age of 41, I had my first date with the man that I am currently living with and plan to spend the rest of my life with.
From the day of your first date to the time you moved in together was approximately one year. That's a pretty accelerated relationship development time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
28 is still pretty young. There's plenty of time and opportunity to meet someone and it progress into a long term relationship. My husband was in a relationship for about two and a half years that ended when he was around 31, and he had a couple more shorter relationships that followed until we met and married when he was 35.
I still can’t imagine the mentality of a 35 year old childless man having a serious relationship a woman with 3 kids. If a guy is 35 and childless, often times, he enjoys the childless aspect of his life, even if he is not totally living it up as a single dude.

Quote:
Men, how old are you and what age group are you dating? I'd prefer to find a guy 30-35, just because I think that group is more likely to want to settle down.
The guys who are 30-35, single, and childless generally speaking are not in a huge rush to have kids, but they are probably more open to a solid LTR instead of playing the field constantly.

Quote:
My four year relationship (engaged for a few months) ended last month and ever since I've been feeling a bit down. I start wondering if I ever meet someone amazing again, or if I'll just have to stay alone or make compromises. I'm turning 28 in a few weeks and I feel incredibly old to be single again, may sound stupid but well. I'm not desperate for a relationship, right now I do not want to date anyone, but I guess if I don't want to be alone forever I should start trying in a few months or so.By the way, I'm female, fit and attractive, I'd say.
Yes, you should start again soon. On paper, you have a lot going for you. You are female, fit, and attractive. You should have no problems finding a new man if that is the case. Just leave your apartment/house and you should be ok.

You should also look at your last relationship from a positive point of view. You were able to sustain a positive relationship for approximately 3.5 years of the 4 years (I’ll assume the last 6 months or so were rocky leading to the eventual demise of it). Also, take solace in the fact that the relationship ended pre-wedding day instead of post-wedding day. Prospective dates are not going to judge you negatively for the outcome of that relationship.

However, your use of the words “amazing” and “make compromises” is concerning for your own future relational well being. Did you dump an “amazing” guy over something trifling and petty, and are you now worried that you won’t find someone else that was overall as good as he was? And, everyone makes some sort of compromises to get something. No one gets everything they want on the ideal partner wish list.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:19 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
From the day of your first date to the time you moved in together was approximately one year. That's a pretty accelerated relationship development time frame.
Perhaps by your standards. It's been working quite well for us, thanks.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:23 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,173 times
I'm 31, been with my partner for 6 years and we aren't "legally" married and have never tried to get pregnant. It is what it is. If the time is ever right to try and we are unsuccessful, I won't regret not having tried sooner. I will accept that it wasn't meant to be part of my life's journey and move on, and do other things that make me happy. Getting so stressed out over finding a man, having kids, having the white picket fence are going to do nothing for you except make you feel like crap and make you feel inadequate. Concentrate on the here and now. Men can smell desperation a mile away, so if you walk around radiating "I NEED A MAN", guess what? You won't find one. Relax.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:47 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
So sorry about your loss, but how great that you have fallen in love again. I guess I'm just worrying a lot because right now, I cannot even imagine to ever love anyone else. Plus I want kids, and I know my biological clock will start ticking soon.
OP, your bio clock has plenty of time. And 28 isn't "old" for finding a relationship; a lot of people don't even start looking until they're 30. Also, I can't help wondering how "amazing" your ex really was, if it didn't work out, and imploded in the middle of the engagement period? Well, at least whatever went wrong happened before the marriage, instead of after.

People initiate marriages and start to have kids in their mid-to-late 30's, and do just fine, OP. Give yourself time to lick your wounds, don't be in a rush to get back into a relationship (that's how mistakes are made), and allow life and love to take its course. Stay positive. And remember; this brokenhearted phase shall pass.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:39 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
Men can smell desperation a mile away, so if you walk around radiating "I NEED A MAN", guess what? You won't find one.
I think all men have experienced this feeling at one time or another. I consider it to be the gender equivalent of when a woman considers a man to be 'creepy.'

When I sense the "I NEED A MAN" vibe I run the other way.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:35 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Hello,

My four year relationship (engaged for a few months) ended last month and ever since I've been feeling a bit down. I start wondering if I ever meet someone amazing again, or if I'll just have to stay alone or make compromises. I'm turning 28 in a few weeks and I feel incredibly old to be single again, may sound stupid but well. I'm not desperate for a relationship, right now I do not want to date anyone, but I guess if I don't want to be alone forever I should start trying in a few months or so.By the way, I'm female, fit and attractive, I'd say.
I'd like to hear two things from you guys:

1) Any of you have found the love of their life with 28 or older? I know there are people who did, but I would just like to hear some stories, maybe it makes me feel a bit more positive.

2) Men, how old are you and what age group are you dating? I'd prefer to find a guy 30-35, just because I think that group is more likely to want to settle down.
My wife and I met when I was 32... she was 29 (and we are happily married years later). So no, your certainly not too old to find someone you will really love and want to spend your life with.

I think most people do not even really know themselves until their late 20's to early 30's these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships