Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 AM

50 posts, read 49,393 times

Advertisements

I am a 39 year old white guy and I started losing my hair 10 years ago.

Ironically, my last gf broke up with me about the time I started losing my hair and I have found dating to be considerably harder since that time.
I'm pretty sure that she didn't break up with me because of my lack of confidence because I didn't let my hairloss bother me when I first noticed it and my personality was the same it always was.

I had the ol horseshoe baldness pattern going for awhile and I've alternated between buzzing my hair real short and outright shaving it but I rarely get any signs of interest from women regardless of what I do, anymore.

I'm really starting to believe that a man having a full head of hair is right up there with being tall in terms of the physical characteristics that women look for in a man.

To any other bald/balding men, have you had a tougher time dating since losing your hair and to any women, how big of a turnoff is a bald/balding guy to you or does it matter at all?
I expect to see a decent amount of women respond that it doesn't matter at all but actions speak louder than words to me and I rarely see decent looking women in public with bald guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 09:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
It totally depends on your bone structure and overall fitness and appearance.

Ed Harris was always attractive. Jason Alexander, not so much.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:29 AM

50 posts, read 49,393 times
I am very physically fit though I'm on the short side at only 5'7".

Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 AM

123 posts, read 120,790 times
Yeah, it really depends on how it works with the rest of the guy's look. I think bald looks better than trying to hide that you're balding though (longer hair to try to cover areas, etc). Bruce Willis is one of my major Hollywood crushes. He looked gooood in the 90's with some hair and good a few years later with no hair.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 AM

964 posts, read 994,357 times
It depends on how you come across. If you know how to put women at ease and make them the center of your attention, or are upbeat and energetic, you'll have crowds of them following you around. I've actually seen a bald guy do this. He wasn't a pick-up artist, he just had a positive personality. He wasn't even trying to get attention, but it would happen wherever he went, including during his workday. And he wasn't tall, if the shorties are thinking he must have been. He was about 5'8".

Old 02-28-2016, 11:05 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
I used to work with a guy who had this issue. I urged him to shave his head, as did other female colleagues. He finally did it in his late 30s. He's now married with kids.

I was always most attracted to guys with a full head of hair. My husband had a receding hairline when we started dating. I encouraged him to shave his head, and he did (about 3 years ago) and has kept it shaved ever since.

I think shaving your head is always the way to go in this scenario.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I was proactive. I had plenty of hair in my early/mid 20s. But it was fine hair. I shaved it clean. My dating improved.

It took some encouragement of my ladyfriend at the time. I eventually looked at it this way. A woman that really wants a thick head of hair wasn't going to want me anyway, as I had very fine hair, even though it was fully covered. There are loads of women that do like bald heads though, so, I went that route. No loss. Only gain.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 AM

252 posts, read 358,945 times
Women worth anything won't care.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:48 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
I started losing my hair in my early 30s (I'm 52 now); I do wear caps but I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to go the toupee/hairpiece route! If a woman doesn't like me 'cause I haven't got a full head of hair (anymore), she's just IMO very shallow and materialistic! And I'm NOT gonna with a shallow, materialistic anyone!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
The last guy I was dating was bald. I thought he was goodlooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships