Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times

Advertisements

from my observations humans seem to slow down and lose interest in dating / mating after child bearing age or men over 50?

it reminds me of how other mammals behave when they are at the peak of their breeding age and when they complete their cycle?

kind of like when the Salmon fight to go upstream to fertilize the eggs, then when they complete their mission they die or never return to the sea.

or during Springtime when the birds go crazy trying to find a mate and build a nest.

when women have children they have a different attitude, they seem to feel they completed their mission in life and the feeling of finding love and relationships seems to die down, not the same as when they were young, plus the males tend to lose interest the older the women gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
I suppose if the person is solely interested in "breeding", the interest in finding a mate will die off when they are no longer able to do that.

This certainly doesn't apply to all people though, by any means.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:50 AM

65 posts, read 55,608 times
It has nothing to do with childbearing. Sometimes women simply get tired of the hassle of relationships, and come to the realization that they're MUCH happier coming home to their comfy pajamas, TV, bubble bath and bed all to themselves at the time of their choosing than to the expectations, demands, desires and inconveniences of another person. You come home from a long day at work and the last thing you feel like dealing with is another person.

When you feel like that, you lose interest in dating. It's not about sperm and eggs. It's about preferences in lifestyle.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM

65 posts, read 55,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I suppose if the person is solely interested in "breeding", the interest in finding a mate will die off when they are no longer able to do that.

This certainly doesn't apply to all people though, by any means.
Why do so many men think everything is always about mating and seed spreading? As if a woman is just a vessel, and can have no other purpose or desire in life.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,455 times
I think most singles over a certain age do lose interest. I think at least half of it is driven by biology, with the rest the result of full and busy lives, wanting to live for themselves after many years of raising kids or being partnered, or simply not finding the return on emotional investment to be worth the effort.

There's a thread on this from the woman's point of view on the Retirement forum in which many women testify to this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...sider-men.html

Even those who would like companionship often take the angle of "I'd like a man in my life, not my house."

I don't know that as many men feel the same way, as it's my experience that the older men get, the more they do want a partner.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:22 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
There's too much to lose at this point. I'm going to get a dog

Old 02-21-2016, 10:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
If a guy loses his butt in a divorce a time or two coming home to a quiet place is a very good thing....

Old 02-21-2016, 10:42 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Some things are more trouble than its worth. A few bad relationships and you think this ain't the way its portrayed in the movies. Its better to rent than buy sometimes.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:57 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
I think we just don't let the "you MUST be coupled up at all times or else something is wrong with you" Kool-Aid get to us anymore. We're at the "scr*w you, I've lived my life for other people and now that I'm in the second half, I'm going to do a few things just for me" stage.

This isn't in a bitter or angry way or anything...I don't know, it's hard to explain. You'll have to get here to know, I guess. Actually, it makes life SO much more fun. I find this happens with both singles and marrieds. I am married and I feel like this rather often now and it is truly the shizz! And the craziness is, I'm probably like ten times as much fun as I ever was before, plus weirdly, it is apparently sexy? At least from what I'm hearing.

I think for many people, once we did all the "right" things, marry at just the right age, have kids, house, mortgage, climb the corporate ladder...now we know which of these things are important to us and which aren't, and we are less anxious for approval in the dating world as well (generalizing here, there must be exceptions). So these things may be why people in their 40 or 50 or whatever years may seem way more "take it or leave it" as regards dating. We're nowhere near as willing to jump through hoops just to make someone like us. Like me or don't and I wish you good times and much h happiness either way.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:08 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
I'm a 52 year old divorced man, own my home and have my financial house in order. Good job and manageable baggage.....

I've found that women my age in the same boat don't have dating high on their priority list. I'm rapidly heading in this direction.

It's nice to NOT have to compromise on major issues, and if I don't want to go to a certain event....I just don't go. The flip side of that is that I can do whatever I want, like changing my work schedule around football season.

It's a silly example that I haven't pursued (the football thing), but it's the FREEDOM knowing that I can that makes me feel good.

Cheers everyone.....my golf clubs are waiting for me in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships