Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I was waiting for the bus and a guy comes up and makes small talk while waiting. I am a notorious small talker so I engaged. He looked harmless. After a few moments I noticed he was getting a little awkward. Then the compliments started. He asked me for my phone number and I turned him down gently and told him I was too old for him. Poor kid was smitten. He was 17.

Then my bus came. *phew*

I was reminded why I try to avoid hoodies. But it was rainy today and this weather proof hoodie is my only hooded jacket.

Have you had a similar awkward experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Well I am often thought of as being in HS or MS by a good few people.

But most of my awkward experiences involve creepy old men - and not the good kind - older gentleman lol. My mother and I often joke that I am a perv-magnet. But that's probably just the small town I live in. nasty old men, and thug-wannabes, is the bulk of the male population here in the town of 900 people. lol

Old 04-08-2016, 10:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
It's always awkward when someone obviously likes you and you can feel his nervousness and how he's warming up to ask you out and you know you're going to have to say no, whether it's because the situation is inappropriate or just because you're not interested in that way.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:29 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's always awkward when someone obviously likes you and you can feel his nervousness and how he's warming up to ask you out and you know you're going to have to say no, whether it's because the situation is inappropriate or just because you're not interested in that way.
This definitely.

I can't count how many times this has happened. I really don't understand it. I will happily be enjoying our conversation until I start catching those vibes, then the confession comes. I feel so bad because I feel like I led them on when in reality I was just being friendly. It makes me think maybe I am missing something or I am oblivious. It's frustrating because I feel like I have to restrict myself.

Regarding the OP, people still think I am a high school student. Especially when I wear baggy clothes. I don't mind it anymore. I like looking a lot younger than my age. It'll pay off in the future.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
This definitely.

I can't count how many times this has happened. I really don't understand it. I will happily be enjoying our conversation until I start catching those vibes, then the confession comes. I feel so bad because I feel like I led them on when in reality I was just being friendly. It makes me think maybe I am missing something or I am oblivious. It's frustrating because I feel like I have to restrict myself.
No, I don't thnk you led the person on. He's taking a chance and asking. If he never asks he'll never know. If it's no he'll ask the next woman. Eventually it will be a yes. We all go through a lot of false starts before we find the right person.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
This definitely.

Regarding the OP, people still think I am a high school student. Especially when I wear baggy clothes. I don't mind it anymore. I like looking a lot younger than my age. It'll pay off in the future.
I am over it on looking young to be honest. Occasionally it is helpful. Working in tech it pays to not be perceived as old. But I am 37, so I don't need 20 somethings or teens hitting on me!

This kid gets bonus points. He didn't run off looking horrified like another similar moment where the guy was 25. Lol.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Quote:
This definitely.

No leading on happened here. You were being nice, and the guys take a chance since things seemed to be going well. That's what happens. You meet and chat with people, if everyone seems to be enjoying conversation and/laughing, you make the move to take it further. It would have been leading them, or closer to it, on if you accepted dates, knowing you already didn't like them, or weren't interested in dating in general.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was waiting for the bus and a guy comes up and makes small talk while waiting. I am a notorious small talker so I engaged. He looked harmless. After a few moments I noticed he was getting a little awkward. Then the compliments started. He asked me for my phone number and I turned him down gently and told him I was too old for him. Poor kid was smitten. He was 17.

Then my bus came. *phew*

I was reminded why I try to avoid hoodies. But it was rainy today and this weather proof hoodie is my only hooded jacket.

Have you had a similar awkward experience?
yes, when i was 21 and hit on a woman who was 46. and was she lovely.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I had a student come up to me once and he needed to talk after school so I granted him an ear and after stumbling around nervously for a couple of minutes he burst out with, "Ms. X, I've been having pervy thoughts about you!" I was 54.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:58 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Not a real achievement. When you are a 17 year old male, it is common to feel sexual attraction to adult women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships