Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 06:17 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

So how was everybody's week? Things got weird, right?

I joke that social distancing is my natural state, but we'll see how working from home goes. We have a big virtual Zoom meeting on Monday to go over things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 07:30 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

I joke that social distancing is my natural state, but we'll see how working from home goes. We have a big virtual Zoom meeting on Monday to go over things.
Pushed the trip to LA back to May. Got more time to make a relocation decision (I’m 70% decided to go anyway.) My employer opened up full time telecommuting indefinitely.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:53 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:

Due to normal cold and flu season, I've been driving into work rather than taking the bus for months. Traffic's been really light this week even during what are normally peak hours on Rt. 65 heading to and from the city. I think that many commuters here in Pittsburgh have been told to remain home for the duration of this disease outbreak.

It's been pretty bad, business wise. I'll be okay financially should we have to shut down for a while, but I worry about our hourly staff and/or those who already living pretty close to the financial bone to begin with.

A fellow staff member has been staying with me for the past year; while I don't generally tell others how to spend their money, i told him that he might want to rein in his spending for the immediate future as there is a good chance that his hours are going to be severely reduced or that he might be laid off. He's was a child during the last recession, so he doesn't remember just how tight things became for so many. On the bright side, he won't have to worry about rent or food should the worse occur for a while, i.e., he's laid off. He could always earn his room and board by helping me get the yard and outside of the house in tip-top shape! I do have a porch that could use a good power washing and scraping before it gets repainted.

Taken as a whole, people tend to be bad with money management; major events like this cause one to realize just who's been living life up to the hilt and who doesn't. There are too many echoes of 2008's economic crisis in my mind for comfort.

Oh--on top of this I called off from work sick today--and I *never* call off. I felt "off" yesterday and had a dry hacking cough that I chalked up to seasonal allergies. That progressed to fatigue, aches, chills, more coughing, and vomiting. Good times. I just hope that I didn't pass along the "ick" to my coworkers.

Try to stay well, friends!

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 03-14-2020 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-14-2020, 01:23 PM

19 posts, read 11,594 times
This whole Corona thing is nuts. I live in the states now but can’t travel to Montreal until the ban is lifted.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:

This is something I’ve yet to encounter. I’ve been given the next week off of work. With no loss of leave time. I have visions of cleaning, organizing, and training. Might be more naps and day drinking than anything.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:27 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
This is something I’ve yet to encounter. I’ve been given the next week off of work. With no loss of leave time. I have visions of cleaning, organizing, and training. Might be more naps and day drinking than anything.
Went to the store yesterday and it was a ****show, all kinds of stuff was cleared off of the shelves. Surreal as hell to me. Store was packed and there was a weird frenetic energy in the air.

Didn't dig the vibe. I also noticed the hooch section was pretty low. Leaving Las Vegas came to mind......

Old 03-14-2020, 06:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Went to the store yesterday and it was a ****show, all kinds of stuff was cleared off of the shelves. Surreal as hell to me. Store was packed and there was a weird frenetic energy in the air.

Didn't dig the vibe. I also noticed the hooch section was pretty low. Leaving Las Vegas came to mind......
I stocked up. Two different kinds of whiskey. The home brewed beer should be ready in anytime now. 36 bottles worth. 12 pack in the fridge along with 2 from the first 6 pack. Wait, only on left from that. I started drinking two hours ago.

Two to three weeks normalcy should return.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:50 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:

I worked hard to be able to work from home, one of the only in my office. So now that everybody there “gets” to work from home I feel strangely resentful like: “Sure all the rest of you had to do was be threatened with pandemic? I’ll go back to slacking now.”

I recognize I’m the B word, it’s ok.

I feel like I already self-quarantine as I have everything including cat litter delivered, so it’ll be no stretch. The fun thing you’ll find out about Skype or telephone/speaker phone meetings is, no one knows you’re nodding off.

Do you think this guy’s too young for me?
His laugh kinda makes me weak in the knees.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wA4KS5...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-14-2020, 08:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I worked hard to be able to work from home, one of the only in my office. So now that everybody there “gets” to work from home I feel strangely resentful like: “Sure all the rest of you had to do was be threatened with pandemic? I’ll go back to slacking now.”

I recognize I’m the B word, it’s ok.

I feel like I already self-quarantine as I have everything including cat litter delivered, so it’ll be no stretch. The fun thing you’ll find out about Skype or telephone/speaker phone meetings is, no one knows you’re nodding off.

Do you think this guy’s too young for me?
His laugh kinda makes me weak in the knees.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wA4KS5...ature=youtu.be
I may be the only one on my team that DOESN’T want to work from home. At the office I have three screens instead of a very small laptop screen at home. I get to leave a small townhouse for a few hours. And I can get groceries super easy before heading home. To me, the work life balance gets messed up is my home is my workplace, meaning it doesn’t feel like I have a break when I stop working. I’ll keep going to my office until they tell me not to.

While life is not open, I’m going to get reacquainted with my Xbox One.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I may be the only one on my team that DOESN’T want to work from home. At the office I have three screens instead of a very small laptop screen at home. I get to leave a small townhouse for a few hours. And I can get groceries super easy before heading home. To me, the work life balance gets messed up is my home is my workplace, meaning it doesn’t feel like I have a break when I stop working. I’ll keep going to my office until they tell me not to.

While life is not open, I’m going to get reacquainted with my Xbox One.
True, it dies take some getting used to and an effort to separate yourself from your “office” when you’re done with your work. That’s where a few hours of Uber here and there saved me from myself. BUT not doing that now, for obvious reasons...good thing the weather’s good enough to go for a walk after I’m done at my desk at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships